“Quiet stay”

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Great Dunmow
“Quiet stay”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a short break over 2 nights. We had booked a standard inland room, but were offered a sea view for an extra £23 per night. As the weather had suddenly taken a turn for for the better, we decided to take advantage of the sparkling sea view! The check in was busy, but the girls there were very efficient and friendly. Our room was spacious, clean and bright. It looked to me as if it had bern recently refurbished. However, I would have expected to have bathrobes and slippers supplied - neither of which were.apparently the robes were supposed to be in the wardrobe but presumably Housekeeping had not checked this. Slippers are 'available' on request from reception. Very strange! Why are they just not left in the room? The bathroom was large and clean but there was a complete lack of shelves or any other storage facilities. Where is one expected to put toiletries? In the shower there was absolutely nowhere to place the shower gl, except on the floor! The bedroom itself had a separate wardrobe/dressing area, which was lovely, but the main area lacked any drawers whatsoever, so everything had to be left on show, which made the room rather untidy. The bar area was extremely busy and we only managed to find a seat on one evening. However, it was lively and again the staff were excellent. Our room was very quiet, being at the end of a corridor, but I must say The Grand is one of the quietest hotels I have ever slept in! Breakfast was a buffet style, which is not to my liking, but the food was of a good standard and plentiful. Pleasant staff served tea and coffee. After checking out, we left our cases with the concierge whilst we had a few hours around Brighton. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: 5th floor at the front, but to the corner, seems like a very quiet option.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback.

I am pleased that you had a great stay and took the opportunity to upgrade to a sea view room. The views over the seafront really do add something special to a stay at The Grand and we are lucky that over 1/3 of our bedrooms offer sea views.

I am very sorry that the room was not prepared as it should have been. We will ensure this is addressed as these items should have been in place. Your feedback on the bathroom is also noted and these comments do help us to gather information on what is important to our guests.

Thank you once again for your kind compliments and I am pleased to hear that you would return in the future.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Arabic first
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Went for a lovely afternoon tea yesterday with my wife for her 30th, along with her and my M&D. Lovely selection, lovely ambience and lovely environment. Very pricey at just under £30 each, but genuinely worth the cost for a wee bit of decadence!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank AndrewJHarvey1
Thank you for your recent review.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your partners 30th birthday celebrations at the hotel. Afternoon is definitely a wonderful option for special occasions.

I will pass on your kind words to our pastry chef and the lounge team, who will be delighted to hear your comments. The Afternoon Tea experience is very important to us and is one our most iconic and traditional luxuries.

We look forward to seeing you back at The Grand again soon.

Regards,
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

To celebrate our 40th (Ruby) wedding anniversary my wife and I agreed that we would take a break to Brighton and treated ourselves to a stay in the Grand Hotel. The whole experience was was superb, the hotel was fantastic and our room first class with breathtaking sea views. Without doubt this was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and if the opportunity arose again we would certainly return. The breakfast served each morning was delightful as was the meal we had in the hotel restaurant on one of our nights there. The Grand is a great hotel in a fantastic location and the staff are only too willing to offer assistance and help.

Room Tip: Although they can be expensive the sea view rooms are superb and well worth the extra expense, they...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent feedback following your stay.

Firstly congratulations on your anniversary and I am delighted that you selected to celebrate such an occasion at The Grand Brighton.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in one of our sea view rooms, the views really do make the difference.

Your compliments on the service, breakfast, dinner in GB1 restaurant and the overall experience will be passed onto the staff, who will be delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Chatham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The bar is very grand at the grand and the prices are not for the faint hearted! Although they were not on the bar menu, the bar staff made me an expresso martini. And what an expresso martini it was. Ok it was £10 a pop but it was simply gorgeous, smooth and cheeky-the best in town

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback following your recent visit.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the Espresso Martini’s in our Victoria Lounge and Bar. The whole lounge experience from the ambience and sea views to the table service and the delicious bar snacks included, really do add to the experience. You may also be interested to know that we offer a cocktail hour on Sun-Thurs from 5pm - 7pm, where a selection of our classic cocktails are just £5.

We have a very extensive drinks menu and our mixology team are very passionate in particularly about the cocktails we serve. The staff will be delighted to hear your kind words, which I will pass on to them.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Datchet, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have been to the Grand Hotel before for a private visit but this time I was attending a conference near by so this was the best if not the cheapest option. Rooms are very tidy and clean. I did not have a sea view this time but could have upgraded if I had wanted to but chose not to. Decent bar if a bit too busy for the size of the hotel and excellent restaurant. Brighton has hundreds of restaurants so you don't have to dine there but it is great especially on the very wet nights we experienced during the conference.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ArtRamirez
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay. We are lucky to be located so prominantly and the hotel is a fantasic base for both leisure and business guests visiting the Brighton centre.

Thanks for your feedback on the lounge and restaurant. We are very proud to be able to offer guests the option to spend their evening in the Victoria lounge and bar, as well as dine in GB1 Restaurant. The restaurant in particular has received fantastic reviews following its opening last year and really is a forerunner on the Brighton restaurant scene.

Thank you once again for your compliments. We look forward to seeing you back at The Grand again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights R&R as a couple. Gorgeous room (we had a standard double, nothing flash) very friendly and generally efficient staff. Great location for exploring Brighton.

Room had no air con which made things a bit steamy at night - not a problem in late May but would be uncomfortable in mid summer I imagine.

I was disappointed not to be able to book in for a spa treatment despite reception telling me there was plenty of availability during our stay. In reality I went straight to the spa to book but there were no appointments. I'd advise booking a treatment at the same time you book the room.

Breakfast was rather chaotic with a huge queue - but once in it was really very good.

In summary we had a lovely time but it probably needs a bit of work on managing peak periods.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am very pleased to hear you were happy with your room, but I appreciate you comments relating to air-con. This is something we are reviewing at present.

I apologise for the mis-communication and that the spa was not available on your visit. The spa has become increasingly popular with our guests, as well as spa members and local residents. As you highlighted, we would strongly advise booking as far in advance as possible to avoid any dissapointment. We also offer some fantastic spa packages so you can pick up some deals when booking in advance.

Thanks again for the feedback and I have passed on your comments to the staff and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Reading some reviews on this site I am beginning to wonder if my husband and I stayed in the same hotel! We stayed earlier this week and had an absolutely fabulous time. Our sea-view room was outstanding, clean and spacious. We had a huge wetroom, spacious dressing room and tastefully decorated bedroom. The bed was extremely comfortable though did make us laugh as I am rather short and probably needed a step to climb on it!
Service was second to none. Nothing was to much trouble and service was fast, courteous and professional. Food was delicious and again service was top notch, particularly breakfast. Even cooked chips at 10.15 specially as we were peckish,best ever by the way!
Yes the outside is a little careworn but sea air does not exactly help. If you surveyed other buildings along the seafront many are similarly affected. I understand the hotel is now owned by a new investor so perhaps outside will be subject to a face lift. However you are inside during your stay and that is what counts. Thoroughly recommend the hotel and will be coming back soon. Thank you for a stress free and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Deffo book a seaview
AMGMDGB, Owner at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your extensive and very generous review

I am very pleased that everything was as it should be and what we strive to achieve every time ... accepting that we will occasionally make mistakes (we know we shouldn't and are working hard to achieve perfection) and that we won't always be to everyone's taste or expectation.

However we are very pleased to have been awarded with a Trip Advisor certificate for excellence recently so we are going in the right direction overall

Anyway it looks like we definitely got it right this time so thank you for letting us know.

regards