“lovely afternoon tea”

Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Horsham, United Kingdom
“lovely afternoon tea”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea to celebrate a friends special birthday.Great service good food with extra special touches for the birthday girl.A really enjoyable & relaxed afternoon with friends.Will definately be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your visit to The Grand for afternoon tea

I am so pleased you had a good experience and I will pass on your kind words to the team

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you back again soon

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Arabic first
Dunstable, England
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was our second visit to The Grand and we were really happy to be back. I must say a big thank you to Alice our Guest Relations contact who was absolutely wonderful and made our visit very special and made a point of greeting us personally, now that's what I call service! We had a beautiful sea view room and was up-graded to a deluxe room which was superb. As it was my birthday there was a card and strawberries and Alice had arranged for a bottle of wine for us too. We were in Brighton for The Seekers concert which was next door at The Brighton Centre and was the icing on the cake for us. We had breakfast in our room the next morning as we just wanted to enjoy the view and relax, unfortunately the weather had taken a turn for the worse so we just chilled before leaving for the station. We will certainly be back, thank you again Alice and all the wonderful people who make this hotel so special.

Room Tip: Always go for a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your complimentary review.

I am very pleased you had a great stay and that Alice looked after you so well ... I will mention your review to her as I am sure she will be thrilled with her special mention!

I have to admit I was unaware the Seekers were still about!! But will accept I do remember them being in the charts!! I hope you enjoyed the concert!

best regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We came here last weekend to attend a wedding. This was a small intimate wedding for 12 people.

The service was great a friendly service on arrival. They had reserved a small area in the bar which we weren't expecting for the champagne reception which was great!

The wedding was in the Eugenie room which has a big balcony overlooking the sea and really nicely decorated with its own loo which is handy!

Service was fantastic and food was great. Was quite jealous of the kids menu who had fish and chips and the biggest chocolate muffins I have ever seen! The adult portions weren't huge but were sufficient.

I live in Brighton and have been and stayed in the grand many times and would always recommend!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review on Trip Advisor. Once again many congratulations to you both on your recent marriage and I am delighted you chose to hold your celebration at The Grand

We are very pleased to be able to cater for groups of all sizes at The Grand .... from banquets for 500 to small intimate family occasions like yours in one of our lovely smaller suites. Many of our private function rooms have sea views and it helps to set the occasion off perfectly.

In summary I am delighted you had a good day and I will pass on your compliments to all concerned.

We look forward to you both visiting The Grand on lots of occasions in the future

Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Came here with my Mum for her works weekend, Very noisy room at back of hotel, due to what sound like air conditioning vents, they told me the air conditioning wasn't working - however I bet it would if I had parked a purple Bentley at the front!!
Presume other rooms are better than the one we have.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MsPetit
Thank you for your post following your recent stay at The Grand

I apologise for the fact that you didn’t feel your room was as good as you were expecting It is fair to say that rooms vary, primarily between those overlooking the sea front and those at the back of the hotel. These differences are obviously reflected in price though ... but this does not excuse the fact that you left feeling disappointed and I am sorry

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Staff amazing, Afternoon teas superb. Hotel great, Restaurant food excellent - local seafood Had a curried monkfish - awesome. We had room 318 - lovely room with a small balcony and great sea views. Great bathroom - double shower plus dressing area. Double bath provided, although this was in the bedroom in front of the bay window. We were a little too old to show off our bodies to the world.

Room Tip: we had a seaview room - great
1 Thank julieandgrahamrog
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor

I am really pleased you had such a great stay and thank you for all the positive mentions!

On a couple of particular notes.... I agree the curried monkfish is a real favourite and have often chosen this myself when eating in the restaurant. I particularly like the quirky presentation that our Chef came up with when he engineered the dish ... and we get lots of very good comments about it

318, one of our feature deluxe rooms, features the wooden bath for 2 in the bedroom. Its a shame you opted out of using it.... I'm pretty confident you wouldn't have been spotted sitting there and would urge future guests to give it try and enjoy the view out of the double doors on to Brighton seafront whilst enjoying a soak!

Thank you again fro posting your comments and we hope to see you back at The Grand soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My boyfriend took me to Brighton for a long weekend. We stayed at the Grand on the seafront. It was super central and a really lovely building. The rooms were a bit dated and from when my boyfriend told me it was quite expensive - but well worth it for a treat! The Grand would have have 4 stars from me, but the 5th star had to go to Colin the doorman. He made us feel really welcome as soon as we got there, opening my car door with a big smile. I joked to him that he was the smartest doorman we'd ever seen (we'd been to the Savoy a couple of weeks before - I know, lucky girl!! - and I said the doorman at the Savoy had nothing on him!!!) But it was really his brill local knowledge that made the trip tip top. We missed all the tourist trap restaurants and he told us loads of cool things to do that we hadn't heard of. Colin really made a great weekend 'Grand' - haha, cheesy but true!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and in Brighton.

It is interesting that you mentioned the rooms were slightly dated, as all 201 bedrooms benefitted from refurbishment last year.

Colin will be delighted to hear that he made such an impact on your stay. He is certainly an asset to the team and has been at the hotel for many years now. We are extremely lucky to have such a knowledgeable concierge team. Brighton is a vibrant city and there are new attractions/shops/ restaurants opening all the time, so it is key for the team to keep up to date on the latest hot spots in Brighton and the must see areas. I am glad you were able to take full advantage of the what the city has to offer.

Thanks again for writing and we do hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Bawtry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

A real enigma this one! Always look forward to visiting a hotel with such a reputation so maybe my expectations were a little high? Pulled up in car and was warmly welcomed and car was whisked away (£30 for that pleasure but I guess that comes with the territory), check-in was efficient and friendly but I expected a bit more from the interior design and from the room. It was a hot day and no aircon nor an openable window made things incredibly stuffy. Otherwise the room was fine with everything that you would expect and a decent bathroom. Not 'special' though. The cocktail bar was nice but 'not spectacular' but the saving grace for the evening was dinner which was fantastic. As a seafood lover the menu was perfect and the food was superb...crab, oysters, mussels and assorted coquillages...and great service from the waiters. Didn't use the spa and opted for a run along the seafront to clear my hangover in the morning. Breakfast was fine with a wide and varied choice. All in all OK with a few big highs and a some major disappointments.

Room Tip: ask about aircon...or at worst a window that opens!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AndySING73
Thank you for your recent feedback following your stay.

I am pleased that you took advantage of our valet parking service, this really does remove the stress of parking especially during the busier months in Brighton.

I apologise that you felt disappointed with some spects of your room. We acknowledge that some of our inland rooms can get fairly warm in the summer months. We are looking into options to resolve this. On a future stay you may consider experiencing one of our sea view rooms, which offer stunning views and many have private balconies, so a great option in the warmer months.

The GB1 team will be delighted with your kind words – I will be sure to pass on your compliments. We are very proud of the service and standard of dining they provide for our guests and the restaurant since its opening last year, has become one of Brighton’s highest ranking seafood restaurants. Our separate GB1 Trip Advisor page displays an abundance of fantastic reviews, which is certainly testament to its success so far.

Thanks again for your honest feedback.

Regards