“Position perfect”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Positioned perfectly on Kings Road and with Valet parking is a real plus for guests driving to Brighton, where parking is at a premium.Just a short walk to the famous Pier, The Lanes and great restaurants makes for the best of stays. The De Vere Grand is in the final stages of a substantial refurbishment and restoration that will make for an even more pleasant stay. We enjoyed a De Luxe King Room with sea view that was spacious and with large ensuite and doors opening onto balcony overlooking all of the beachfront. Whilst experiencing initial minor dissappointment at the lack of a safe or refrigerator in one of more expensive rooms in a 4 star hotel, everything was made right by "Guest Relations Manager" Anna Jones, who could not have been more accommodating, and a very special thanks to her for her kindness to us. All staff at the De Vere Grand were most welcoming and pleasant to deal with, in particular the Concierge desk; however, it is most evident that all are labouring unfairly and are overworked. Owner/magement really needs to be fairer, lessen the workload and employ additional staff. We so look forward to our return visits.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased you appreciated our valet parking service. We are the only hotel in the city to offer this service and it really does make for a hassle free arrival and our guests can be safe in the knowledge that their vehicle is secure during their stay.

All our bedrooms have now benefitted from refurbishment, offering modern comfort with classic design features. I am glad that you were able to experience one of our spacious deluxe bedrooms, the views really are spectacular and being able to step out onto the balcony on a sunny day really is fantastic.

Thank you for your kind words about Anna, I will make certain to pass those on and I am pleased she managed to resolve those initial issues.

I have noted your comments regarding staffing levels. Our teams are at the required staffing levels. The concierge team, being the first point of call, is always a busy department especially during the summer months where guests volumes are very high. Our teams are dedicated to maintain a great level of customer service at all times ensuring an enjoyable stay for all.

Thank you again for reviewing us and I am pleased you plan to return.

Regards,

Andrew Mosley

Write a ReviewReviews (8,219)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. I could not fault the hotel or the staff. I am disabled, and found the staff could not do enough and if I had a problem, it was sorted straight away. There was a good selection for breakfast. Everyone catered for. The staff in the bar were nice and friendly, and we never had to wait long to order and receive drinks. I highly recommend to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and and there is lots of light. Also, a collection room has sky tv and a cof...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your 5 night stay with us at The Grand

The team will be delighted to hear that you felt they all looked after you so well and that you had a good time.

We hope to welcome you back again soon

Regards

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My first point of contact at the hotel was Peter, I believe to be one of the Evening Concierge Managers, and he could not have been more charming, helpful and true to his word, he rang me back when he said he would, and delivered exactly what we asked, up to a point..... however things did not quite follow according to plan when it came to our actual arrival! For you seem I needed a very essential car park space for a very valuable classic jaguar!

Our journey began in Greenwich Park, arriving late afternoon to check in and park the Classic Jag in the underground, secure at park , as arranged via Peter, and subsequently Alice, with whom I spoke to regarding our room allocation, and parking space a couple of weeks before.
The latter being very important due to the nature of the prestige car, and for our peace of mind , knowing it was safely parked away from the road. However, despite all my efforts via phone calls, and emails , on arrival at the car park the parking attendant did not have us on the list! Fortunately, the car park was not busy, but my point being, it could have been , and I had been in contact with the hotel several times!

I was also very embarrassed as the car is owned by our friends whom we travelled with , and I had explained that everything was in place at the hotel to park safely!

With regard to our room on 6th floor, it was ok, well appointed and very comfortable.

We sat in the lounge area for tea, as the conservatory seating area is fairly small, and there isn't a great deal of seats, in fact it is quite deceiving, as from outside the conservatory looks quite a bit space!

There were a few issues with the teas served, the young guy serving seemed quite nervous and tea was poured and "sloshed" around the table a bit as it was poured,then it took ages to sort it out, and start over!

The breakfast was plentiful , plenty of seating, this time we got to sit in the conservatory area which was lovely as there are views out to sea!

I had a bee in my bonnet to dray here for a long time, and to be honest I was slightly disappointed that our stay had so many little irritating flaws, which is something I have to say is not something I expected to experience here.

This review is purely my own opinion, of my experience, and truthful account of my stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank English-Rose01

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay

I am sorry to hear that things went awry regarding the parking of your car. Whilst generally we don’t offer pre booking on car parking spaces as they are quite limited, if this is something you had been assured of then it should have happened and I will pick this up to see what went wrong.

In terms of the tea service I will also discuss your feedback with the lounge team - and once again I am very sorry that there were some issues.

Beyond this, from reading your review it appears that otherwise you had a good stay ... and I note that you felt the room was to your expectations and that you enjoyed your breakfast. So I hope that, safe in the knowledge that I believe the 2 issues were "one offs", you might consider returning to us again

Many thanks for your feedback

Reviewed 19 June 2014

What a beautiful experience. Spent one night here with my sister and could not fault it . Colin greeted us at the door and gave first good vibes helping to park the car although we had arrived earlier than anticipated. Clean professional and beautiful room as requested with sea view , well worth it. New owners just taken over hotel and hope they might consider indoor pool . Sea was too cold Im May in Brighton. Hotel was full that night and they managed breakfast for the numbers with no problem . Did not have dinner there so do not know the food . Not 5 star as could be updated a bit to get this rating . Still an axcellent stay with great sea view

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Grand in May

I am very pleased that you had a good time starting with Colin's welcome through to breakfast before departure the next day

Many thanks again for writing and we hope to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Room window did not open, it was a hot night and the only solution was ' there's a fan in your room - lounge service very slow ( 20 mins to get our drinks) - although a side room was set up for the England/Italy football match, the TV could not be programmed to get the correct channel. Considering it was The Grand not very impressed ! - lovely Irish lady I looked after us for breakfast though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay

It goes without saying that I am very frustrated by the problems you highlighted as they could have been easily avoided but thank you for bringing them to my attention

On a more positive note, Sandra has had a few nice mentions recently and I'm very pleased to she looked after you at breakfast

Thank you again for your valuable feedback

Reviewed 17 June 2014

After a long journey we were met by fantastic staff courteous obliging to our every need.

We were staying at the Grand for the Rod Stewart concert. A short 10 minute walk to the train station and a further 10 minutes on the train and hey presto we were at The Amex stadium for a truly amazing concert.

Back at the hotel, we were staying in a Deluxe room on 5th floor with balcony overlooking the sea. The room and ambience was so good we decided to order room service and watch England lose to Italy :( in this beautiful room.

The Manager Andi Hirons could not have been nicer - Thank you Andi for making our stay extra special :)))) we will be back!

Room Tip: Our room on 5th floor truly amazing !
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay to watch Rod Stewart in concert at The Amex - I'm also pleased he didn't let you down!

I will pass on your thanks to my fantastic deputy general manager, Andi, who does an amazing job. She obviously reads all our reviews as well so I know she'll be very flattered by your compliments

kind regards

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Grand Hotel is thought at the same time as you think of Brighton. It is imposing, stood proud facing the sea. A survivor of a building having been bombed back in 1984, it maintains a great character. I have been going to The Grand for 16 years and have only once felt let down or disgruntled. We have taken tea here many times, the choice of sandwiches and cakes was so fulfilling and then we've called in for a cocktail or two, arrived for dinner and perhaps our best visit to date was the reception we held after our Civil Partnership Ceremony. Excellent staff service, all done with elegance expected of a highly rated hotel. I am lucky that I live here and I can literally call in for a chilled glass of Champagne or meet with friends. It offers so much to so many. I don't have a need to stay in the bedrooms although a night in the Presidential Suite would be nice but then so would so many other things. If you have the time on your next visit to Brighton, call in, experience their new fish restaurant, relax in comfort in the lounge looking out to the sea but what ever you do I can guarantee you one thing, it will be Grand.

Room Tip: Push the boat out, go for sea facing, push it even further and go for a suite. If all else fails wa...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your extensive and very complimentary review.

What can I say? I think you've just about reviewed every aspect of the Grand in one post and I hope future guests will be persuaded by your recommendations to come and have the full experience that The Grand can offer.

In terms of the Presidential Suite (a 5 room suite across the front of the Hotel) .... maybe one day?!

Best regards