“Lovely Hotel but rooms need some TLC.”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Lovely Hotel but rooms need some TLC.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at The Grand for two nights with old school friends.
The main public areas of the hotel are very well presented and comfortable.
Unfortunately we had 3 twin rooms which all had lovely views onto an orange brick wall!
The rooms whilst being clean and comfortable needed some work to update them - one had mildew on the bathroom ceiling.
At £198.00. per room per night it's not cheap and I think at this class of hotel you expect a few more "frills" in the rooms than you get.
The hotel staff were all wonderful and couldn't do enough to help and make our stay good.
The reception girls were very very helpful.
The cocktail bar was again great with extremely pleasant staff and afternoon tea a delight and we thought good value for money.
Of course the hotel location was exceptional as it's on the sea front and two minutes from the shops.
Breakfast was very good except for me being a veggie!
I think they need maybe a bit more choice on that one.
Overall a very good hotel but a little on the expensive side for rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 7 July 2014

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your rooms, particularly the view. In honesty some of the rooms are the back of hotel do have restricted views and hence the price differential between these and the rooms overlooking the sea front

On all other counts I am very pleased you enjoyed the service provided by the teams you mention and I will pass on your compliments

We are always reviewing the products we offer so will also look at the vegetarian options at breakfast

Many thanks again for your feedback

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Arabic first
LINCS
Reviewed 29 June 2014

2nd visit to this hotel what a great location, third floor sea view room all newly decorated with a grey theme, very very good quality bed, curtains, bathroom and all fittings, great view from the room window of the beach/sea, the main areas/reception conservatory all really really good, the Restaurant food is also very good, everything at this hotel is first class, ENJOY

2 Thank MINILincs
Thank you for compliments on Trip Advisor following your second visit to us at The Grand

I will ensure I pass on your kind comments to the staff particularly to the team in GB1 (restaurant) as I am sure they will be delighted you enjoyed the food

All bedrooms were fully refurbished last year - with each of the sea view floors enjoying a slightly different colour theme - a great reason to come back and see the other schemes?!!

Many thanks again for posting your review

regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

An amazing hotel! My partner and I booked a standard double room with a sea view for my birthday. We managed to park our car (by valet parking) in the hotel car park at £25 per night, not bad for Brighton. We were able to check in very quickly and our luggage was taken to our room. It's well worth spending that bit of extra money on the sea view as the inland rooms don't have a great view atall. We ate in the hotel restaurant (which we booked in advance of our trip). The food is good and the mains were of good size and tasty. Breakfast is a sight to behold, with every kind of cereal, bread, fruit, or full cooked breakfast to choose from. The staff are all pleasant and make an effort to remember your name. If you are looking for something a bit special then this is the place for you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Theswissfamily84
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at The Grand

Naturally I am delighted that you had a good time and thank you for all your positive feedback

We hope to see you back at The Grand soon

regards

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as a luxury style mini break in June. We booked a "deluxe" room with the bonus extras like the Starbucks coffee in the room, a bigger tv with Sky (cable channels) and Espa toiletries (which were just lovely to use!!)
The main entrance was under renovation when we stayed and you go through the conference entrance and walk through the hotel this way. Check in is 3pm. We arrived at 250pm and were advised to check back at 3pm. We got ice cream (it's summer!) in the tea room/bar area while we waited. 310pm and we try to check in again to be told that the room needed to be checked over as it had been cleaned but needed to be checked. So we sat back down again in the bar area - very kindly, complimentary nuts/olives were provided whilst we waited. At 330pm we were finally able to go to the room - in the interim, the concierge had taken our bags up to the room.
We were on the 6th floor and stayed in room 628 which had a sneaky sea view that we hadn't paid for! Only a side view but was quite nice.
The room was lovely (it was the grey wall papered one that features on their website) - the bed huge. The pillows and doona/duvet were feather filled - we asked for synthetic pillows as my partner is quite sensitive (allergic) to feathers. 2 were bought up to the room quite quickly.
The room had a shower over the bath and both a toilet and bidet.
In the deluxe rooms were the coffee pod machine as well as a kettle for making tea. There is a wardrobe, ironing board, etc but no mini fridge. We asked for extra milk one night to be bought up but this never appeared.
Some of the other reviews mention no fan/air con in the room; there is no air con but a small pedestal fan was in the wardrobe. We had this on most of the time we were staying and if you ask reception, additional fan/coolers are available.
In the deluxe rooms are complimentary bathrobes and slippers - the downside to these is that the slippers barely fit me (I am a UK size 7 female); my partner could't wear them at all and the bathrobes were incredibly stiff and scratchy (same as the towels in the bathroom - decreases on the "luxury" factor).
There is both a spa and restaurant in the hotel that is also open to the public.
We used both. The spa had a special on which unfortunately, I wasn't able to undertake as they didn't have enough time slots - I feel that this is an area the hotel could improve on and have slots available purely for hotel guests (also outside of normal hours??) but I was able to get a half hour massage. I didn't use the steam room (and I think this is only available for spa guests not just hotel guests?) - there is no pool but there is a gym on the 1st floor.
The restaurant is where they serve breakfast (see my review on the restaurant GB1). Breakfast was included in the room price. There was a large selection each morning of hot items (eggs, bacon, sausages etc) as well as cereal, fruits, ham, cheese, breads and juices. Coffee and tea (decaf is available) are bought to the table. We are gluten intolerant and asked on the off chance for GF bread which was bought to our table! This was a massive bonus. The downside was the quality of the fruit (a lot of bruised items) and that it would be nice if food items could be marked in some way on the name card if they are GF, vegetarian etc. Would make choosing easier. (the same is said of the restaurant menu). If the mixed buffet breakfast isn't your choice, there is the option to choose off a breakfast menu at an additional cost.
The hotel is placed right on the beach - the new pier (with all the arcade games and rides - buy the £10 all day for best value) is only a short walk and the old pier is almost opposite. There are numerous local restaurants both on the beach and near the hotel to choose from if you want to eat out. There is also a cinema nearby. The beach (for those non-UK) is pebble not sand so don't expect to come building sand castles!
The Lanes are about a 10 minute walk up the road and worth wandering around - music lovers will love the GAK stores with all the instruments you can play. Coffee lovers will love all the cafes!! There are plenty of independent as well as well known chains to choose from.
Overall, it was a lovely break from day to day routine and was the de-stress we needed....just not quite up there on all the luxury elements but almost there! Would stay here again (but would try and find the hotel on a deal - it is quite pricey!)

Room Tip: If you pay extra for a sea view you are going to have more road noise - weigh up what appeals to you...
1 Thank AussieinUKReags
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay.

I must say the detail of your feedback and descriptions provided will certainly be a useful reference for guest that have never visited the Grand or the city.

I am pleased you enjoyed one of our Grand Collection rooms with their added extras. I am glad that your small room requests were met, yet I do appreciate your honest feedback on some of the room amenities, I will be passing this onto the housekeeping team to review.

In regards to your feedback on the spa, we do strongly advise guests to pre book treatments especially within peak summer months. Our Summer Indulgence package is proving to be very popular with hotel guests and local residents. I am sorry you didn’t get to enjoy this although pleased you did experience a massage. We offer special spa packages seasonally, so I hope you can enjoy one on a return stay.

Breakfast choice is continually well received, so I am pleased you enjoyed the options available and we could accommodate your gluten free bread request. In regards to your feedback on fruit, I will pass this onto the kitchen team.

We are continually developing and reviewing our services and guest amenities to ensure our product offers value, comfort and added luxury for all. Thank you again your detailed feedback and I am glad you enjoyed all that Brighton has to offer and you plan to return in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Excellent Excellent Excellent!! We had a one night stay and the room was so nice and was over the moon with the sea view/Bose sound system/sky TV and Starbucks drinks in our room. See you next time!!!!

1 Thank nicnic0283
Thank you for your review.

It’s great that you experienced a Grand Collection sea view room and you enjoyed all those luxury extras included in this room upgrade. This room type is a very popular option with our guests and the unique features included really do make the difference.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for a one night break which we booked through luxury hotel website 'Secret Escapes'. The hotel was sold as a boutique old world glamorous luxe seafront getaway (my summary, not theirs!), so we were looking forward to our stay.

When we arrived, we were greeted by the doorman who was friendly, perhaps a bit too friendly and familiar actually. Check in was fine, we had to wait 15 minutes for our room while they prepared it (we were a little early) - and so we sat in the lounge for a while. It was at this point we noticed that there were a lot of very elderly people in the hotel, wheelchairs, walking frames etc.

We were given the keys to our room on the 4th floor and it had a great sea view (which we had paid for when we booked the room). The room had beautiful modern beachy decor which looked like it was out of a magazine. We came to notice that we had been given a disabled / accessible room, with an open shower and no bedside tables etc, but this didn't really matter.

The hotel is in a great location and we walked down the promenade and into some of the shops on the lanes. After dinner, we enjoyed a coffee in the hotel bar. The terrace and lounge were mostly taken up by business people on a conference - enjoying free champagne and talking loudly about work (the old people must have done to bed).

Sleep quality was terrible! The room was very hot and with no air con, it wasn't even possible to have the window open as it was so loud outside with cars, people talking loudly and repairs starting in the street at 7am. We hardly slept.

On taking a shower, the 'accessible' bathroom proved to be ok if it is used by a wheelchair user, but the bathroom flooded so much after the shower that it was impossible to walk on the floor for 30 minutes after. 2 inches of standing dirty water were on the floor!

Breakfast was ok, we were given a great window seat which was lovely. If you want a nice cooked eggs Benedict - you do have to pay more. Not what you expect when paying the 'discount rate' of £135 per night. The decor in the breakfast room and most public areas is starting to look tired, chipped paint etc.

Parking is not FoC and cost a further £25 in the ncp behind as the car park in the hotel (normally £30 per day) was full of conference guests.

In summary we had an 'ok' stay - the room was beautifully decorated with a great view, the hotel has heaps of potential - but it's stuck somewhere between being almost an old folks home or a conference venue - both of which stop it from being the boutique luxe get away it is trying to be. Little details let it down and you just don't expect that in a hotel of this (supposed) calibre.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank DeeMooner
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

Firstly, I am pleased you liked the new bright, modern meets classic design scheme in our rooms. Although I am sorry that you encountered some street noise which disrupted your sleep. This is something unfortunately out of our control with being a seafront property, yet isn’t a consistent issue. A quieter room can be requested at the time of booking, so we would advise this on a future stay. Thanks for highlighting the issue with the shower, I have passed this into the maintenance team to look into as this certainly shouldn’t have been happening.

I am glad that you found our central location convenient for exploring the city. In regards to the lounge it can be a vibrant hub and as you would appreciate we do attract guests of all ages for both leisure and business purposes.

Overall, I take on board your comments. Our teams work hard to ensure an enjoyable experience for all, whether you are visiting for a conference or a weekend break away. We are continually reviewing our services and products and all feedback enables us to focus on what is important to our guests.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

it was our first stay at this hotel for my wife and myself, firstly the location is excellent however the hotel was not up to expectation, it was extremely noisy but thats probably because they had lots of events going on, our room was ok but sadly was an internal room which had the worst view ive ever had from a hotel, i opened the window to see a dirty flat roof with what i think was air conditioning machines making a racket, luckily for us we didnt spend much time in the room as Brighton has so much to offer, we asked for an extra milk and sugar at reception which the young lady said would be delivered to our room, it never arrived, the breakfast was very good, lots to choose from, overall this hotel was nothing special, just ok!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rob_m186298
Firstly I am pleased you enjoyed our central location which is ideal for exploring the city of Brighton and all it has to offer.

I am sorry that you encountered some noise during your stay and as you highlighted we do run events at the hotel, although we do try to minimise noise by ensuring events do not extend to late in the night. I do recommend staying in one of our sea view rooms if you were to return. The seafront outlook really is very special and we have a high quota of rooms that offer sea views. I apologise that your request for milk was not met, this is certainly not the standard and all guest requests are to be promptly actioned.

It is our key focus to ensure a fantastic guest experience for all guest, so it was disappointing to read that you encountered a few issues in certain areas. I do appreciate your comment and feedback really does help to measure satisfaction and inevitably review and improve. On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy breakfast and felt that there was a wide choice available.