“Great refurbishment”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Have stayed here twice whilst attending conferences and the rooms are lovely, very tastefully decorated and bathrooms are bright and modern. Would recommend this hotel for a business trip or vacation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Julia D
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I am pleased you liked the refurbishment which was completed last year. This included a full refurb to all bedrooms, our events rooms, GB1 - our new restaurant, the brand new Spa and the lounge

Hopefully we'll see you back again soon

There are newer reviews for The Grand Brighton

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Luxurious, comfortable and simply good fun to be in this Hotel. Staff are excellent without being subservient, knowledgeable and very helpful. Could not fault our short stay for lunch, a taster for us and a determination to return. No more need be said, it's a place to stay, to eat, to relax and to enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peejay2013

Many thanks for your kind words

I am very pleased you had a great stay ... hopefully the first of many more to come

I will pass on your comments to the staff who I am sure will be very flattered by your compliments

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Grand for five nights when working at a conference in the hotel.

I have to start by saying that the refurbishment is excellent and the hotel is greatly improved since I last stayed here 4 years ago.

My bedroom was lovely - I think it was a deluxe room. I had a balcony and really big room with a seating area, coffee machine, Sky box and Bose sound system. My only regret was that I didn't get to enjoy it enough as I was working!

The hotel staff were all very attentive, hard working and willing to please.

We found the quality of catering to be of a very high standard. This was mass catering on a big scale and the breakfasts, lunches and evening meals were delicious. The lunches in particular were made with very fresh ingredients.

I've received lots of positive feedback from my conference delegates about the hotel!

The first night I was there I ate in GB1 with a friend, and the fish was amazing! I had prawns - totally delicious. We were treated to a glass of Prosecco at the bar too as our table wasn't quite ready.

The hotel is lucky to have such a superb view, overlooking the sea and all the activities on the water and the beach. We were very lucky with the weather and waking up to sunshine and the sea everyday was very refreshing.

We had several late nights in the bar and the cocktail menu is fantastic!

I didn't use the spa but did go and see it and it looked lovely. Must return for a holiday rather than work next time!

Only a few small downsides - the gym is tiny and cramped. If 4 people are in there it felt very busy! The bedrooms don't have air conditioning and it can get hot. I didn't have this problem personally but I heard from a couple of people that they weren't happy with the size or temperature of their room. However, the majority were very happy with their bedrooms. The lifts were very tired and one of the buttons wasn't working properly which was sometimes inconvenient at busy times. The other slight annoyance, that the hotel can do nothing about, is the busy road that it is situated on - cars at all times of the day and night, party goers and homeless people! I'm sure it wasn't like that when the hotel was built but just a modern day fact of life!

All in all though, my view is that the Grand is a fabulous hotel, a throw back to Victorian times when people would travel from London to the seaside I guess. It still has that old world feel to it, with the piano sometimes being played in reception, and a lot of coming and going and people generally buzzing around. A hotel with a great atmosphere, but it also knows when to knuckle down to serious business. The staff work tirelessly and are forever polite, warm and friendly and they always ensure they deliver. Perfect for a seaside holiday, afternoon tea, spa break or for business or weddings.

Well done!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sallyhawkes

Many thanks for your complimentary and extensive review following your recent conference

I am naturally absolutely delighted that you had such a great stay and a successful event.

Conferences and events are such an important part of our business .. so its always very reassuring to know we're getting it right ... all but a few little niggles you mention for which I apologise

Thank you again for taking the time to post such a full review and we look forward to hosting future events for you at The Grand

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed one night on Saturday 5th July. Valet parking was very good but costs £30 per day. Check in fast and friendly. Basic room with view of a wall and the kitchen extractor right outside the window (room 111) was not worth £199 per night. Started off at £299 but by constantly canceling and re booking through Booking.com got the price down to £199. No aircon in the room so very warm. Restuant GB1 was very good and we would eat here again. Lounge/bar was OK but expensive but spoilt by 2 groups of drunks in the bar shouting and swearing at each other.
On the plus side the staff were friendly and efficient
Would we return? Not at that price and in that room for that price. The Thistle is better

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms on first floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mike_moores
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor

I am sorry you left with mixed feelings and that you may hesitate to return in the future choosing one of the other large hotels on the sea front instead

The Hotel in question offers a very different modern experience and we accept that we won't be everyone's choice all of the time. But what we believe sets us apart is our staff, the service, our “historic” and famous bar, our seafood restaurant GB1, the widest range of products at breakfast, our fantastic new spa and small touches like valet parking and a full concierge service –things that we are proud to offer and draw positive reviews on trip advisor time and again

I hope you will reconsider given that we also know are prices are often very similar to many of our competitors. If you would be so kind as to give us another chance in the future I would be pleased to handle your reservation personally to oversee your room allocation - just contact me and reference your TA post

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a place you choose when you want to be at this level of accommodation. It is a throw-back to a time when the hotel was meant to be style and comfort and grandeur.

From the carpets to the decor to the grand bar with its amazing woodwork, you are taking a step back in time to a place where sophistication wasn't something said with a wry smile.

Hotels of this type fall into two categories: your grandmother's house or a palace. This is a palace.

And the location! Between the two piers and with the sea just at the door, you could not ask for more.

The staff was wonderful for the moment we arrived and set the tone for the wonderful people we would encounter throughout our visit to Brighton.

Food was good if not terribly innovative but the dining room (for breakfast) was light and loud enough to convey energy but not so loud as to making speaking remotely hard.

The bar was wonderful. We had a glass of wine after a late dinner and there were just a few of us there but the staff was still in peak form. Attentive and helpful with a perfect balance of being friendly without being intrusive. And a gorgeous setting for a nightcap that looks as if it has endured with style.

The rooms was very nice. Well appointed and very, very clean.

All-in-all, across all of my travels around the world, the Grand has set the standard for what I want an experience to feel like and it has never been equaled. Yes, some hotels have outdone it on individual categories but, in sum, none has reached its lofty heights.

Take a step back in time to an age when hotels were more just a bed,a wifi connection and some celebrity chef's newest offering and put yourself in their able hands. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean H

Dear Dean

Thank you so much for your kind review

Your compliments are exactly what we like to hear .... and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay

We hope you look will visit us again soon at The Grand

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed several times on business and pleasure.

Great position right on Brighton beach and only a stones throw from the town centre and local bars and restaurants.

Staff are always polite and efficient and can't do enough to help. Dining room is nice (especially the conservatory overlooking the sea!) and the breakfast is first class with a selection to suit every taste.

The only negative is that some rooms are in desperate need of renovation. Some have been modernised but not all.

But overall a great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Darrell W

Dear Darrell

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your complimentary remarks about the staff, GB1 restaurant dinner and breakfast

Regarding your room I am sorry that it did not meet your expectations. Every room was refurbished last year so it is frustrating that you were still disappointed. I will endeavour to trace the room you stayed in and get it checked over

Many thanks again for your feedback

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent one night at the Grand and will never return the reception staff were rude and miserable! Our room was the size of a postage stamp, no air con so the room was boiling and we didn't sleep all night due to a generator outside making noise non stop and outside our window was filthy full of seagull poo and dog ends!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Davishayley

Naturally I am very disappointed that you were so dissatisfied with your stay so I have sent you a separate message so we can make contact and hopefully resolve your complaint

I hope to hear from you soon