“Appalling customer service”

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Appalling customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I booked 2 very good rooms at the Grand several months ago for my daughter's graduation on July 10th. My husband and I live overseas and we were looking forward to a luxurious stay, celebrating with our daughter. The week before we were due to arrive, I received an email from The Grand stating that "for commercial reasons" they would not honor our reservation and we had been re-booked at the Holiday Inn. I contacted the hotel, but they were immovable, and, at such short notice, there were few alternatives available in the town.

I note with wry amusement the GM stating in other reviews how the hotel prides itself on customer service. Well, not in my case. Beware, if you book here, because if the hotel gets a better offer for your room, you will be out on the street.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Bermy406
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 16 July 2014

I fully understand why you had cause to be so disappointed with the unfortunate situation that lead to you being booked in to a neighbouring hotel and more so that, having done all that we did to try and alleviate the situation, you are still clearly dissatisfied with the outcome.

This is not our norm and I can assure reviewers that the wellbeing and satisfaction of our guests is centric to everything we do.... proven by the vast majority of reviews on Trip Advisor that are so complimentary and positive

However we accept that we will not always get it right, so when things do go wrong we try and resolve them. We also genuinely value feedback so thank you again for your review.

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great stay at 'The Grand' I booked a last minute trip to Brighton with my partner, got a great deal!!!

From the moment we walked in the hotel we we're greeted by friendly staff.

The entire hotel was very clean and refurbished to a very high standard.

Our room was a double room on the sixth floor it was clean and welcoming.The bed was so comfy didn't want to leave the room.

Free wifi throughout the hotel with great connection especially in our room.

Location is excellent on the seafront but away from all the noise.

Breakfast was one of my highlights, such a great selection for a buffet breakfast.

Simple amazing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ellie88xx
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor

I am pleased you managed to grab a deal for your last minute break and come and enjoy The Grand

Thank you for your compliments about all aspects of your stay and I'm delighted you had a good stay

Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Overnight in the Grand, in one of the top floor large rooms with King size bed. Lovely views over the sea, though at that height I sense that the Grand cannot find window cleaners prepared to assist with this. The room had a broken kettle, but that was replaced cheerfully. Comfy bed, lovely bathroom, pleasant staff. Quiet, too. Could have done with being told the room had no lift access and we'd have to climb a flight of stairs, but that wasn't a huge problem. Breakfast was a delight. If the Grand could do one thing to improve the room? Add some more lights. Jolly dark in there.
We enjoyed it. And we'd recommend it, too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amberlight9
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that overall you had a good stay

Just to confirm that we have lifts to all floors in the hotel. However I am guessing that you were in one of the 2 fabulous rooms at the top of the hotel which are set over 2 floors. Each has its own small private gym located off the entrance vestibule on the ground floor of the suite and then upstairs the bedroom, with walk in changing room and en suite shower and bathroom, plus a lovely lounge/diner overlooking the sea front.

Regards

Herne Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent the weekend here in June in a feature deluxe sea view room on the third floor. On arrival we pulled up at the front of the hotel for personal car parking at a cost of £30 per 24 hours. It is a little cheaper in the car park down the road but it such a luxury to pay a little extra. Our room wasn't ready on arrival but Eva was simply superb and changed our allocated room so that we could have our room earlier. She even bought us a complimentary drink due to the delay in room and it wasn't even check in time. She is a credit to the management team. We had lunch in the restaurant and dinner there in the evening. It is a little pricey but worth the extra special treat. We had lobster which was amazing. My only criticism would be that you do pay for absolutely everything, bread, side dishes etc and I do feel that some of the things could be complimentary. The hotel staff in the bar and restaurant are superb being extremely attentive all the time with their service. Service is added onto each bill that you sign, including everything in the bar but I do feel it is exemplary service and on speaking to the hotel staff it would seem that they do all received a fair share of the tips which is nice. The hotel is along the seafront and has lovely views over the bay. We were extremely lucky with the weather so it was really nice to enjoy a glass of bubbly out on our personal balcony people watching. The hotel is located virtually next door to the Brighton Centre, very close to the lanes, shopping centre and Brighton Pavillion. If you can spare the time take a walk down on the beach and visit the wonderful coffee shops, bars, restaurants and quaint shops selling different things. We enjoyed a lovely bottle of wine on the Sunday afternoon listening to a live band which was simply great. The pier is also worth a visit and if you do like the rides is just £10 for an all day wrist band so I feel very good value for money. Our room was spacious, but I do feel for the money that we paid, we should have received a turn down service in the evening. The bed was very comfortable and no need to take any toiletries, hair dryer, slippers, gowns, bottled water as these were all provided. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel. Thank you for a wonderful weekend

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisylouHerneBay
Thank you for spending time writing such an extensive review which I am sure other reviewers will find very useful

I am delighted you had a good stay.

Thank you also for the compliments about Eva - I will ensure your comments are passed on to her

Catral, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I only visited the hotel for the famous "High Tea" in the conservatory which was excellent along with the service. Before we left I used the the ladies powder room and was shocked to see that it wasn't very clean and was in need of a lick of paint! This surprised me as the rest of the hotel was of very high standard!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie D
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Julie

Thank you for your positive comments about the afternoon tea in our Victoria Lounge. I am very pleased you enjoyed it

We are currently looking at schemes to fully refurbish our ground floor lavatories so it wont be too long that they are brought up to standard in line with the refurbishment of the rest of the hotel completed last year

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Decided to splash out as it was a long awaited reunion of four friends and got a good rate from booking.com. we didn't regret it, asked for two twin rooms next to each other and got them without any problems even tho the hotel was fairly booked up, checked in early and efficiently by the lovely reception staff. Rooms were very comfortable, clean and looked recently refurbished, a slight view of the sea if we stuck our heads out of the window! But we hadn't booked sea view. All staff were friendly and helpful, there was no fresh milk in room for coffee but this was derived quickly by the very helpful room service staff. Breakfast was fabulous, with a huge selection of well prepared hot and cold food to choose from. We had a leisurely start to the day in the well appointed dinning room. Only downside was the behaviour of some of the guests on hen nights, but it is brighton. Would recommend this hotel and hope to return for a birthday treat with husband soon

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kittywer
Thank you for your compliments and kind feedback following your girls weekend away

I would have thought that a combo of 4 friends, The Grand and Brighton night life is a pretty good mix so I'm glad you had a great time

Oh, and a nice “after thought” (!!) to bring the husbands next time too!! I’m sure they’ll be pleased to know it’s their turn next!

Best wishes

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I love this hotel, it's a real Brighton institution. The views of the sea are wonderful and the location is brilliant. However I've wanted to stay here for years and there were good and bad.
1) GOOD check-in staff were lovely, as were the staff in the bar where we ordered a cocktail
2) GOOD food in the restaurant was lovely and we had a lovely table for dinner
3) BAD - I'd told the restaurant it was my 30th birthday party dinner but they did nothing special, not even a cocktail or a good wish to me
4) BAD - we upgraded to a sea view room but it didn't have a balcony and it was so hot it was like a greenhouse and only one teeny tiny window to open. I was soooo boiling! It was a hot weekend but there is no air con. They are installing it soon apparently.
5) It can be a little noisy on the third floor so book higher!
6) My dad had no tea bags in his mini bar and really wanted a cuppa. He asked reception who said they had none at all in the whole hotel...so he had to go out to M&S Simply Food and buy a box himself. We did explain to the manager who was mortified to be fair. But it was a little late really :) I think she sorted this with reception staff ASAP but sometimes the young ones at the weekend need to be a little proactive!
7) AMAZING.. My 85 year old Nana cried when we got here..she's wanted to stay for years and the staircase and entrance is so grand. Best moment ever.

Room Tip: the higher the better