“great weekend! amazing breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“great weekend! amazing breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

i traveled from france to relax with my wife in uk brighton,we had a great weekend in this lovely hotel i want to mention that the breakfast was also perfect and service asweal,the waiter Radu look after us very friendly and helpful with a 5 stars character, the room was very relaxing an enjoible with sea view...definetly we come back

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank radu a
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments following your visit to The Grand Brighton

I am so pleased you had a good stay ... and loved the breakfast - one of the offerings at The Grand for which we are so well known

We hope to see you back again soon

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,112)
  • Arabic first
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed in April , seaview room with balcony problem with shower which was rectified but not what you expect when you are paying these prices. Emailed hotel when returned home and said just that not what I expect for that price. Speedy response asking for time to investigate and accepted and apologised and offered a refund or complimentary upgrade to deluxe seaview room took the upgrade and had a fantastic return visit . Room was amazing and even a seagull trapped on balcony did not phase us and I am terrified of birds which is some going. The restaurant is great and well worth a visit and surprisingly reasonable and go for the cocktails , we had a very nice young man who talked us through how you make them . We have already decided we will go back this year . Well done all the staff you should be very proud of what you do , just one question how did you get that massive seagull off that balcony ??

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a seaview if you can
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gillian A
Thank you for your lovely comments following your stay

First of all lets deal with the seagull phobia! Seagulls are our friends in Brighton so please don’t be phased by them. However do be careful if you ever put your chips or ice cream down when sitting by the sea as they think you want to share with them!

On a more serious note, thank you so much for your compliments about the cocktails and GB1 - 2 elements to a stay that we believe just have to be tried.

GB1 continues to get rave reviews (it has its own Trip Advisor site too if you want to see what I mean). The key is to book early as it is popular ...be it for a full meal or to just to pop in and have a glass of something chilled and some oysters (we’re open all days 7 days a week)

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my partner arrived on Sunday the 13th July 2014, we arrived sooner than expected and was able to check in a lot earlier than told which was fantastic , the people on reception where very helpful and made you feel welcome. Our room was on the 5th floor of the hotel room 528 , we opted for the one of the deluxe rooms which gave us all the added luxuries to enjoy our stay too the full. With Sky HD TV and king size bed and coffee machine in the room it's was a very enjoyable stay. I cannot really fault the room at all. The room was clean and the bathroom was lovely with instant hot water made running a bath so easy and enjoyable with luxury bath products. We where very lucky to be so close to all of the main attractions of Brighton and made the most of the glorious weather and visited the pier , the lanes and of course the shops surrounding the hotel. We was also informed of a large screen on the beach showing the World Cup final there was a great atmosphere and glad we took the tip from one of the staff , we retired to the hotel after a meal out too finish watching the rest of the game in the comfort of our room. Breakfast was brilliant such a great choice of variety and could not fault the quality of products used , staff where amazingly helpful and all a credit to the hotel. When departing the hotel it was quick and we where able to hold our bags so that we could enjoy a bit more shopping and site seeing before heading home. We will be recomending this hotel to family and friends , and will hopefully be back again to enjoy the hotel and Brighton attractions very soon.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dubes15
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 17 July 2014

I'm really pleased you had a great stay in one of our "Grand Collection" double rooms. As you have mentioned these rooms feature a superior deluxe bed product, Espa luxury toiletries, full Sky HD package, a Bose link bluetooth sound system and Nespresso machine with Starbucks coffees as well as an enhanced tea tray. The Grand Collection doubles/twins (like the one you stayed in) are located on the side of the hotel so benefit from partial sea views.

Brighton is such a great city offering such a diverse range of things to do so I'm glad the concierge team managed to point you in the direction of some of them

We hope to see you again soon

Tours, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Grand Hotel in Brighton is one of those iconic hotels that are preceded by their reputation, and whilst I wouldn't say I was 'disappointed' as such, I would say that I wasn't quite as wowed as I thought I would be.
First impressions from outside is one of stature, so on entering and finding the absolutely tiny reception area it seemed a little shocking. There was a pianist playing in the bar (which is adjacent to reception), and whilst I embrace the fact of what they were trying to create, the close proximity to reception of the piano meant that I couldn't hear anything that the receptionist was telling me, and it resulted in a very loud conversation in order to be understood!
We took our suitcases to our room ourselves (which I found a little disappointing), as was the fact that there seems to be no service elevator for the staff, so each time on entering the lift we were faced with someone pushing a trolley of dirty sheets, or the lingering smell of room service deliveries.
The room itself (720),was right at the top, we'd paid for a sea view, and that's what we got, a nice view of the sea, however, only one of the 3 windows opened (it was written that the reason for this was for security reasons), the problem being this window only opened a few inches, so the flow of fresh air into the room was pretty restricted. There was no air con, just an oscillating fan that we found in the wardrobe. Thankfully the weather wasn't too hot, as I could imagine that the room would potentially become a boiler on a real summer's day.
Room was of good size, however one of the decorative cushions on the bed was not clean (it looked to be covered in the previous occupants makeup), and the kettle leaked.
The bathroom was clean, but the toiletries were a little meager to say the least.
Communal areas all look a little tired and in need of a bit of TLC.
Breakfast we very good, nice selection of freshly prepared items, along with pastries etc. the only comment I would make is that breakfast is served in a series of rooms, and if you are fortunate enough to get to the section facing the front of the hotel it is light and airy, however we didn't manage this, and were in a very large (what felt like posh school canteen) room, which didn't have quite the same ambiance!
We paid a visit to the Spa, and had a massage - this I cannot fault, and I would go as far as to say the best massage I've had, and in really tasteful surroundings.
Overall, it was good, but we weren't wowed !!

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaneM1969

I am sorry we didn't achieve a 5 star rating from you and that various elements of your stay left you feeling a little underwhelmed

I have noted the points you have made and will pick them up with the team

And, of course, on the positives you mention, notably the spa and the massage you received I will pass your thanks on too

Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went for a weekend away, We wanted something special as we should have been In Zante on holiday, sadly my father in law was taken Ill and we couldn't go so we decided to treat ourselves to cheer us up, We weren't disappointed upon on arrival we were shown to our room on the 5th floor, Sadly the floor outside our door was so creaky So I spoke to reception who was only too happy to help and moved us up another floor, the whole weekend was relaxing for us both and we loved it, The staff are so helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them, If your looking for a totally chilled out weekend this is the place for you, The Breakfast is amazing and do eat in the restaurant it was a wonderful meal, I highly recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scoobie99
Thank you for your compliments following your recent stay at The Grand

Judging by your review we got it right for you ... so I am absolutely delighted.

The Grand means so many things to so many people ... tradition, grandeur, history, charm, quality..... But overall I agree it is a great place to chill and relax ...over a drink or two, in GB1 (our restaurant) or on one of our sea view balconies where people watching becomes a past time!! But especially when you tie in time in Brighton with the Lanes, shops, bars and street entertainment.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stopped here for 1 night as for a special occasion - we put this in the comments when making booking and to our surprise they had read it, which was a nice touch.
Room was ver nice - it wasn't sea facing so no view but clean and to be honest everything you would have expected.
Staff friendly and happy - unusual I find in UK hotels .. so this was a nice change
Would certainly stop here again.

Room Tip: ask for sea facing room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank perky88
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor

I am very pleased you enjoyed your time at The Grand and the staff picked up on your special occasion to make your stay that extra bit special

Here's to the next time!

Hamilton, Bermuda
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I booked 2 very good rooms at the Grand several months ago for my daughter's graduation on July 10th. My husband and I live overseas and we were looking forward to a luxurious stay, celebrating with our daughter. The week before we were due to arrive, I received an email from The Grand stating that "for commercial reasons" they would not honor our reservation and we had been re-booked at the Holiday Inn. I contacted the hotel, but they were immovable, and, at such short notice, there were few alternatives available in the town.

I note with wry amusement the GM stating in other reviews how the hotel prides itself on customer service. Well, not in my case. Beware, if you book here, because if the hotel gets a better offer for your room, you will be out on the street.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Bermy406

I fully understand why you had cause to be so disappointed with the unfortunate situation that lead to you being booked in to a neighbouring hotel and more so that, having done all that we did to try and alleviate the situation, you are still clearly dissatisfied with the outcome.

This is not our norm and I can assure reviewers that the wellbeing and satisfaction of our guests is centric to everything we do.... proven by the vast majority of reviews on Trip Advisor that are so complimentary and positive

However we accept that we will not always get it right, so when things do go wrong we try and resolve them. We also genuinely value feedback so thank you again for your review.