“Grand stay, iconic building!”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
“Grand stay, iconic building!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Superb overnight stay, a wedding anniversary treat and a great experience from start to finish. A warm welcome, spotless refurbished room with a great sea view and one of the best Victorian staircases I've seen!. Well trained staff add to the discreet ambiance of this hotel. Brilliant room service, great breakfast - try to get a table in the front 'conservatory' for breakfast - less noisy and lovely sea view. If you park outside, it's only for unloading - we saw a traffic warden issue a ticket ( hotel staff tried to dissuade her!). Parking is easy in the Regency Square car park - if you drive down to the exit before parking, it's a v short walk to the Grand. Highly recommended experience

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Arabic first
Tenterden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A beautiful hotel, impeccable service, luxurious room and delicious breakfast. Having been fed up of paying out for so called luxury hotels and being disappointed I was really really pleased to find that the Grand lives up to it's reputation. It is a lovely hotel and I cannot fault it. Would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Brighton. My only disappointment was that I was only there for 1 night!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Five female friends enjoyed a fabulous afternoon tea at the Grand on a Sunday in July. The table was reserved for 2pm and we were seated very comfortably on a sofa and chairs in the light and airy bar where a pianist was playing gently.

We chose from a list of speciality loose leaf teas (served in silver teapots with additional hot water provided separately, and more hot water provided later on) and we were asked if any of us had dietary requirements - this was later reflected in the sandwiches provided. One of us asked for tap water, and soon glasses of water with lemon arrived for all of us. The tea itself was very tasty - chicken, smoked salmon, egg mayonnaise, cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches (all very fresh and moist), plain and fruit scones (2 each), jam and clotted cream, and a wonderful variety of cakes, pastries and macaroons. More than we could possibly eat - and the leftovers were wrapped in lovely cardboard 'handbags' to take home.

We had several months of catching up to do! At 4.45 the lounge manager very politely and apologetically informed us that the next occupants of our table had arrived (the next booking time for afternoon tea is 4.30) but that he would like to offer us another table - this was a dining table in a room just behind the bar ( with the doors open) to which our remaining cakes were transferred, fresh crockery provided.... And a complimentary glass of champagne provided "for the inconvenience" of moving us. The service was great - friendly, helpful, polite, attentive but without any of the annoying over- attentiveness, fussiness or patronising manner which unfortunately can be found in some hotels and restaurants which describe themselves as providing excellent service. I consider that this really was beyond excellent service - and complimentary champagne because effectively we had talked beyond our allotted booking! Only the staff were far too polite to point this out.

I am delighted to recommend warmly The Grand as a venue for afternoon tea.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I went to the Grand with my 84 year old mother who uses a wheelchair and my granddaughter who is one, we only went to help my daughter who was running a conference last Friday 18th July 2014, Mum and I were looking after the baby. We sat happily in a lovely lounge overlooking the seafront , it was very comfortable, we had beautiful tea (loose leaf) fresh juice, and pastries which were lovely , the waitress very kindly brought toast for the baby and was very attentive.
The door staff were so kind they showed us how to use the special lift to access the hotel they were charming with my mum and even posed for a photo so she could show people at her day care centre .
the facilities for disabled and baby changing were very good and each time I went there was a maid who was keeping it in tip top condition.
the staff who we met were very kind even in passing they smiled we felt so welcome not something the very young or very old always find when on holiday.

Room Tip: look at the web site and ask the hotel it is on a busy road but the best view is at the front
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

All fine until ten minutes before I left. I was turfed off a sofa in the main foyer area as I waited for my car to arrive. They wanted to keep it clear for a wedding party. Having just spent almost £500 in less than 24 hours there, I was furious that another guest's notional need for somewhere to sit should override my actual need. The duty manager dismissed my objection. It remained unoccupied until I left, fuming. I would advise anyone wanting to splash a bit of cash to spend it somewhere you will be appreciated a little more. Back to basics - every customer matters.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dartford
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed in the Grand on Friday 11th July as a treat for my friend's birthday. We had a Classic twin room which was spacious and clean, room 502. The bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home! Lovely bathroom with great shower and I couldn't fault the room except the hairdryer was missing but we did not need one anyway. The bathrobes, slippers, chocolates and ESPA toiletries were lovely touches.

The service from our arrival to departure was fantastic, being helped with our cases every step, and staff attentive to our every need. As you would expect at a hotel of this standard, all staff were professional and looked smart, and always helpful.

The choice of breakfast was amazing and a relaxing experience, you didn't feel rushed at all as with some hotels.

We visited the spa which was expensive at £35 per person to use the facilities so we booked an express treatment each. I was due to have a back massage and my friend a neck and scalp massage which I requested but there was a little confusion and we both got back massages. The massage was the best I have had! The spa was lovely, but on commenting that the sauna was too hot, and I heard other users comment on this too, we were told that nothing could be done about it, so we did not use it. To reflect the price of the spa, as many hotels offer use of spa facilities with the room rate, it would be ideal if a jacuzzi could be added, maybe into the spacious area replacing sofas where the sauna and steam rooms are located? This would complete the experience.

We loved our mini break, unfortunately we could only stay for 1 night, but hope to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RebeccaB492
Liege
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Amazing staff!! Very pleaseant and confortable. Room very clean and quaiet i sleep very good, i had a diner in restaurant sea food is amazing, sea view in the morning is stunning, i will come
Back in september, and i want to mention in so close to city center and 2 min to beach

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Demian191919
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 17 July 2014

I'm glad you had a great stay and we hope to see you again in September - a fantastic time of the year to visit Brighton

regards