“Extortionate car parking fees even for guests, bad breakfast and not enough staff”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night and expected a lot more than I got. Whilst the hotel is beautiful and decorated very well, I have given it a poor review for a number if reasons. Firstly the lady on check in was not welcoming at all, I don't think she smiled once. I had requested an early check in (only by 2 hrs so 1pm) as my son needed a nap before going into Brighton in the afternoon, and my email was not answered, they clearly had not read it when I arrived and the room wasn't ready. Rather than apologise she had a bad attitude. They did sort the room in an hour and a half, but my son was exhausted and we had to deal with him crying over lunch which spoiled the experience. Then there was a child's bed in it which we didn't need and hadn't requested. We asked for it to be taken out, this took 3 hours to happen and we ended up putting it outside the room ourselves so we could get my son in his travel cot. The afternoon tea is nice and the conservatory airy and lovely, but it's not at all worth the money, it's nearly 30 pounds for 3 small plates of finger food and a cup of tea. Next I had requested a quiet room for my son, so where did they put us? Next to a noisy fire door that banged whenever someone opened it, and above an AC unit that was whirring all night next to the window. The sink in the room was cracked and the plug in the bath broken. To be fair the bed was very comfy and the bedding and towels very plush. By far the worst part was breakfast. Clearly the hotel was busy but they were aware of this in advance and just didn't have enough staff. We were shoved at the back of the ballroom because all the tables in the main restaurant and terrace had been used and not cleared, so they weren't seating people there and they looked a complete mess. Breakfast is a big part of a stay in a hotel and it just wasn't up to the price, we had to sit on temporary tables on wedding chairs in a random ballroom and the service was just bad. The plates were dirty and I had to go through 3 to get a clean one, as did the man before me. The biggest shock of all though is the car parking, it's 30 pounds a day for hotel guests! This is not mentioned on booking.com and would have been make or break for me, you shouldn't have to pay for parking when you are paying 150 pounds a night for a room, it's ridiculous. This coupled with everything else is such a shame as I was expecting so much more from this famous hotel.

2 Thank JuliaBahrain
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback.

I was very disappointed to read your comments and I really am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I have read through your feedback thoroughly and will make certain to address the areas of disappointment with the applicable teams.

Firstly looking at your arrival experience, unfortunately despite our wish to fulfil special request where possible, such as early check in, during the busy months we cannot always offer this. We guarantee access to your room from 3pm, as realistically it allows sufficient time for the housekeeping team to service rooms from the night before. However, I have noted your comments relating to the receptionist and this certainly isn’t our usual standard of welcome and it is not typical to receive this nature of feedback.

I am sorry that the child’s bed wasn’t removed promptly from your room, this is something that I have raised with housekeeping and the delay was caused by the housekeeping team readily preparing for the coming night. They can get very busy during check in time as unfortunately not all guests check out on time, causing delays. Additionally, thank you for making us aware of the maintenance issues in the bathroom these will certainly be addressed.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the surroundings of the Victoria Lounge and Terrace. I was surprised to hear your feedback relating to the Afternoon Tea as this is a feature that we regularly receive great comments on. Our pastry chef’s work hard to deliver a high standard of high tea and we are very focused on the presentation of the tea and have recently invested in new high quality crockery and stands. We do feel our prices are competitive and the quality and surrounding reflect this.

You comments relating to breakfast have been communicated to the kitchen as this certainly isn’t the standard of service we set. However, as you will appreciate during the summer months we do have to utilise all our space and breakfast service is busy. We are always reviewing our procedures and offerings in order to maintain excellent service delivery during the periods of high demand. It is very common to serve breakfast in our GB2 and Albert suites, although generally our guests enjoy these spaces as they offer sea views and natural day light.

I do understand your frustration on parking, we do have a small private car park and as spaces are limited we do have to apply a fee. This fee is for our full valet parking service and the car is kept securely, therefore guest can come and go during their stay safe in the knowledge that their car is in safe keeping. Despite this, I appreciate that parking in Brighton across the board isn’t the easiest especially in the summer months; therefore there is a growing trend to use the train as we are conveniently located just 10 minutes from Brighton Station.

I do hope that I have provided some explanation to the comments you raised and once again I’m really sorry that you experienced some disappointment during your stay. We appreciate feedback whether positive or negative and communication from our guests does help us to understand the areas that are important to our customers, therefore thank you for taking the time to write.

Andrew Mosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Arabic first
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked in for one night to stay after a party in Brighton, with our 2 dogs for which we were charged extra. Bearing in mind we had the dogs, we were place don the top 7th floor. The room was pokey with just enough room for the double bed. The 'view' was of an un-painted rough-rendered wall, drainage and sewer pipes and a multi-storey car-park - all through a really filthy window.

There was only one dressing gown in the room and we had to ask for another, and there was no kettle which never arrived.

On the plus side the staff were all friendly and helpful. And the communal bar areas comfortable and the breakfast was good.

Overall, we had been looking forward to a little comfort and luxury but quite frankly I wish we'd spent the money supporting one of the smaller independent hotels or guest houses.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bexsell
Thank you for your recent review.

We are one of few hotels in the city that allow for dogs to stay and we are a popular choice with dog owners. We would usually allocate rooms on a lower floor if the guest requires, although during busy times there is less flexibility in terms of room allocation unless you book far in advance.

My apologies for the kettle and robe being missing from your room, this certainly isn’t the standard and your feedback has been passed to our Executive Housekeeper to address with his team
I am pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and breakfast to be of a good standard. We do have an extremely dedicated and personable team and acknowledgment of this is always greatly appreciated.

On a future stay, I would recommend one of our sea facing rooms and perhaps opt for our Grand Collection upgrade, the stunning sea views paired with extras luxuries such as Sky TV, ESPA toiletries and Starbucks Verisimo Coffee Machines are a fantastic option for making a stay at The Grand extra special.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope you will consider a future stay one day.

Regards,

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 3 night stay at The Grand. This was our second visit to the hotel..We had a delux seaview on the 5 th floor and it was breathtaking we were on the corner so we could look out to sea as far as the pier through the double doors and all the way down to the other end near Hove. Our room was huge it had floor to ceiling windows, which let in loads of light. had a King size bed, and a seating area with sumptuous sofa, armchair and a coffee table too, but the room was not crowded.. My only gripe. NO air con, although when speaking to staff, I was told its first on list for the new owner, I hope this is the case as its the only fault I could find. There was a ceiling fan and a plug in fan but in the height of summer it didn't keep the room cool enough..must also say all the staff were very helpful,particularly reception and concierge, nothing was a problem...this is the only hotel I could stay in now, when I come to Brighton, as nothing else would come close...

1 Thank lorrierya
Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor and I am pleased to hear that you have returned to the hotel for a 2nd visit.

What a fantastic choice to book one of our Deluxe Sea View Rooms. The views are stunning and we are fortunate that nearly a 1/3 of our rooms enjoy this fantastic outlook. This room type, as you mentioned, does offer great space and the modern meets traditional design scheme and plentiful natural daylight really does make the difference. I do appreciate your comments relating to the air conditioning this is something we will be looking into in the future and in the interim our housekeeping team can provide fans or cooling units on request during the heat of the summer.

I am pleased that we are your first choice for accommodation should you return to Brighton and I appreciate your kind comments in regards to the team, of which I will make certain to pass on.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I regularly stay at the Grand in Brighton. It's where I go to relax and get a break from London which can be very stressful. This time it was my anniversary break away. I arrived to complimentary champagne and a warm welcome. We had a wonderful room overlooking the sea. The main bedroom was probably bigger than my London flat! Every morning and every evening the view was magical! I love looking out over the ocean.

Each day we enjoyed the breakfast buffet, it's so good, we have to remember to not eat too much as it is tempting to do. If your lucky and get a room by the front overlooking the sea, it's easy to sit there for hours and relax. I'd bring my family there to enjoy a cream tea or two any day!

The staff are always well mannered and quirky. It's a hotel with more life than your average five star. The whole hotel has character, from the piano playing in the evenings to the listed building and stories it can tell. It's a elegant piece of history with a seaside feel. It has to be viewed in its own right, it's not like other luxury hotels I stay at. I feel welcome and well looked after from the minute I pull up to the hotel and meet the doormen. In all my years coming here, I continue to come back as I can guarantee I'll never be let down like other hotels.

We don't always make use of the spa as we pack a lot in to our visits, roaming the lanes, shopping, chilling by the beach and catching up with friends. It is just what the doctor ordered when your feeling a little stressed out or want a pamper.

After this trip, we returned to London feeling incredibly relaxed. It was a real shock to the system when I returned to work on the Monday and was back in the craze of the city. We had a wonderful anniversary at the Grand and my partner and I are looking forward to our next trip back to Brighton later this year.

Thank you all for a wonderful stay ... yet again..

KLA.

Room Tip: Book well ahead and get a sea view room. If you can have a suit for a night or two, it won't dis...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your complimentary review following you recent anniversary stay with us.

We get many visitors from the capital looking for a relaxing seaside break and it is pleasing to hear that you chose to escape from the city and celebrate such a special occasion at The Grand.

I must say I never tire of hearing great feedback about the staff. We are extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated, hardworking and friendly team that are truly passionate about the hotel. I am pleased that this came across and that they helped to make your stay extra special.

Indeed, the spa is also the perfect antidote if you are feeling a little stressed so I am glad that you found time to enjoy this facility and this contributed towards a thoroughly relaxing stay.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General Manager.
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for one night. It was disappointing that check-in was delayed but we had a free drink to compensate. Other than that we didn't have air con in the room or a fridge but everything else was excellent. On a longer break these downsides may have become a problem so we'd probably either book a more superior room or look elsewhere for a longer stay.

The location is superb, on a short break you don't want to trek 30 mins to the beach, the pricing when booked at short notice is competitive, the breakfast was excellent. Such a vast array of good, well cooked food and drinks. Generally the hotel has a great atmosphere and I would definitely recommend it to friends. In fact, I already have!

1 Thank George W
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay at The Grand and we appreciate you recommending us to others.

The kitchen team will be pleased you enjoyed the breakfast offering. They do work hard to offer choice and fantastic quality, so positive feedback is always greatly received.

I am sorry that there was a delay on check in and also understand your feedback relating to air conditioning. We appreciate that it can get quite warm in the summer months, therefore cooling units are available on request from housekeeping.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

London
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Trip abroad was cancelled so we decided to head to Brighton for a few days of sun instead. Decided to treat ourselves to a sea view room. Had some hesitations as my experience of the hotel for tea a few years back was not great. It seems as if the hotel has undergone a major renovation both in décor and staff attitude. We had a couple of things that were not right but the staff really wanted to help and as a result our stay was really great. Décor of sea view rooms with balconies fantastic. Some air con would be nice but I guess not a complete necessity in UK. Breakfast good and staff coped with huge amount of people. Bar area very nice. We were upgraded to a deluxe room half way through - this was great but I do think that all rooms at this price level should have proper coffee making facilities as this is no longer a luxury. Overall I think this was a very good stay and particularly the staff's level of customer care really showed through.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a sea view room - they are worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonBelsize
Basingstoke
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed over the weekend. Good points - staff very polite and helpful, valet parking service, above average breakfast buffett, good room (we had a standard room and it was absolutely fine), good selection of cocktails and wines in the bar.

The only real disappointment was it was impossible to get a seat in the bar for lunch. Every table on both the days we were there were reserved for those who had booked afternoon tea. We found ourselves in the nearby Hilton bar far more than in the one in the Grand.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple