“excellent breakfast, very profesional staff!!”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 4 August 2014

i was very happy to be with my family for 3 days in brighton and sit at this amazing hotel...,i would like to say about breakfast ,,various choices of food and very fresh,,, but in special the staff very profesional and look after our needs good service our waiter with his name Radu very nice and prompt with coffe and tea and very friendly,the room was specious and comfortable ,
very nice lobby an bar.. definately i will come back

Room Tip: breakfast by windows
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel concierge gave us excellent and attentive service regarding our car parking and luggage. Our car was parked for us which was a nice surprise and at the end of our stay our luggage was put into the car whilst we went off and enjoyed our last few hours. Check-in staff were also efficient and quick, we were offered a morning paper which never arrived and there was a supposed paper charge when there are already free papers provided in the lobby? We booked this last minute and got an excellent deal including breakfast. A nice big room which was clean,bathrobes provided and wi-fi instantly available. A nice comfy bed, but no air con,although a new fan was provided. Clear TV picture, water,coffee and biscuits left also. And a full length mirror:-). Breakfast was excellent, we went at 7am and had a huge choice. We were told we could go up as many times as we liked. The selection and quality was great and the waiting staff attentive in providing tea and coffee and removing plates etc. Enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the generator and the immediate corridor door, as,you will experience some...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We decided to have a weekend in Brighton to enjoy this fab summer. We arrived at The Grand about 2pm and our room was ready, great. On arrival in our room there was this loud humming noise looking out of our window we overlooked the extractor fans for the kitchens, we called down and asked if we could move ( even happy to pay for an upgrade) we were informed that the hotel was full and anyway the fans are turned off at 9pm. We felt the staff not really interested or cared. Reluctantly we stayed, even with the double glazed windows closed it is very loud. After a lovely evening out we returned to our room and surprise surprise no fans turned off, we phoned again and was informed they would look into it, after 10mins the duty manager said they could move us but at nearly midnight with everything unpacked this was a bit late. Went to bed with the windows closed on a warm night and tried to ignore the noise. We paid £300 for this room with no warning that we would have this problem, I guessed we would not have a view but not about the kitchen fans, would never ever stay there again and would warn you to check you do not have one of these rooms.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Twicks1
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have eaten at this hotel few times for Sunday Roast but the last 3 times the service has really gone down hill. the last time was yesterday. The waiters managed to get orders wrong 3 times in one sitting my husband dinner was forgotten when we were all served ours, we waited long times for the waiters to come to the table. The food was ok potatoes could be crispier, we liked the hotel because there is not loud music while your eating and you can talk to each other but we will not be going back unless we hear the service has been improved

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the Grand in July for two nights with my mum and I had a lovely time. When we arrived we were already aware that we would have to pay £30 a day for parking and that there was limited spaces. However when we arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff members who actually parked our car for us to my mum's relief! Then as we checked in we were met by a lovely young girl who was very chatty and interested in what we had to say!

Then we went up to our room, unfortunately it wasn't the sea view room we were hoping for however it would do for the couple of nights we were there. And my mum unfortunately found that she was unable to open the window as it was very hot in the room. We then went down to reception and asked for our window to be opened and again very friendly lady said she would sort it for us. Unfortuantely that night we experienced horrible rain and my mum found that there was water leaking through the window. However we chose not to say anything as we only had one night left and went down for breakfast.

Breakfast was really nice and we were fortunate enough to have the same waiter both days. He even recognised us when we went down to breakfast the second morning which me and my mum were both impressed with. I believe his name was Tom.

We then found later on that we had a knock on the door from a very nice man named Chris who asked us if our window had been leaking to which we said yes. He then told us he would need to check if there was another room available and would we mind moving. He then returned and took us to our new room which was absolutely lovely! Much bigger with the sea view my mum had wanted before! We then spent a very relaxing day in the spa to which I fell asleep!

Overall lovely stay and the concierge even brought our car back for us! The staff could not have been more helpful and really made our stay the nice relaxing trip that we had intended it to be!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

I was really pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I am sorry that you experienced the leak in your room. Brighton endured some very heavy rain in late July as you highlighted and even some flash flooding, so this impacted the hotel in certain areas. Despite this, I am glad we were able to move you to a new room, where you enjoyed the sea views and hopefully some sunshine after the rain.

It sounds like you and mum had a relaxing stay in Brighton and I am sure a day in the spa contributed to that. Thank you for your kind comments on the staff that helped to make your stay so enjoyable. I will make certain to pass your feedback on to all and especially those you mentioned by name.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is inconsistent.
Bellboys/all Concierge staff are fabulous.
Receptionists went from check in: frumpy and miserable to asking about room standards: fishwife (so loud!) and upon checking out: really lovely and polite (all three different ladies obviously).
The rooms (we had a total of three over six days) were unacceptable at an average of 200£ a night! The "view" in our deluxe room resulted in a twisted neck to see the sea - pun intended- and the deluxe view and deluxe noise of the deluxe air conditioning of the next door Hilton really bad. Speaking of which. Yes. This GRAND historic building will cost a nightmare to upkeep, but please DeVere Group, don't try and get this maintenance money through ripping guests off. And I won't complain about missing air con, cos I am aware what a nightmare it would be to install in a historic building.
Housekeeping again: inconsistent. Only on one day did we have enough towels and flannels and had (one of) the room(s) properly cleaned.
Sheets were changed inconsistently, too- on the third and fourth day??? Of a six night stay. In sweltering heat...
All bar services automatically have a service charge added, yet they ask you to leave gratuities; sometimes deserved, sometimes not, as it depends on which member of staff serves you.
I found breakfast quite gross, but then I am not fond of English grease, which is worse when it is cold when offered. Staff attentive at breakfast, only okay at dinner, though the seafood in the restaurant at night is very, very good. Make reservations early in your stay for dinner, as there is no preferential treatment even if you are a hotel guest.
So much potential. Too much unmotivated and unprofessional staff for such a "grand" hotel.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that some aspects of your experience didn’t meet your expectations, especially those areas relating to the team. Professionalism, motivation and making our guests feel welcome all help to build part of our high service standards. In all departments we strive to offer exception service for every guest. With this in mind, I was very disappointed to read that you felt there were some inconsistencies in this area. I am genuinely surprised, as customer service is an area we are consistently highly commended in. I do however take your feedback on board to explore further.

I do appreciate your positive comments on our seafood restaurant, GB1. Since its opening last year, its popularity has grown considerably with both hotel guests and the residents of Brighton and Hove. I agree, to avoid disappointment, it is important to book ahead as there is often high demand in the evenings and of course particularly in the summer holidays.

Thank you again for providing your feedback. We will certainly take on board your areas of critique and pass on your compliments too.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Fantastic service in this historic hotel. From check in to the lovely breakfasts and the friendly team of staff! We had a really lovely first time stay in Brighton and would definitely recommend to others.
Great place and we had a lovely time!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review following your first stay in Brighton and at The Grand.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit and that you found the staff to be welcoming and enjoyed our famous breakfast. I am pleased to hear you would recommend us and we do hope to welcome you back again in the future.