So the first thing to say about this property is that you are clearly staying at a higher class of property - the details like the towels and bed linen are really nice quality, there's free bottled water in the room and it generally feels high quality.
Walking into the building is like taking a step back in time to an earlier era which is really nice. Myself and a colleague spent some time working in the bar and even the free nibbles were a cut above the norm.
Check in was painless and although we'd booked a cheap deal meaning we didn't get a view - the rooms were nice. The floorboards creak like mad all through the hotel which can be a bit annoying but it's an old building!
My biggest problem was that the rooms (like a lot of the older hotels in Brighton) aren't air-conditioned and although it wasn't particularly hot outside the room was quite warm. Thankfully there was an electric fan in my room which did help a bit.
It turned out that another issue was the proximity of the Brighton Centre where Lee Evans was performing on the night I stayed. That meant that the room was filled with booming bass for about 15 minutes when the show finished and the play-out music was on. I'd be worried that if a band were performing at the venue I'd be very stressed during the evening.
Breakfast was included in our rate and turned out to be a pleasant surprise - mainly because so many hotels provide such rubbish breakfasts. The food was really tasty and the orange juice tasted freshly squeezed.
Overall it was a nice experience but I wouldn't want to stay there in the summer due to lack of air-con and noise from the venue next door would concern me so I won't be staying there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a truly remarkable hotel. An iconic Victorian building, it stands centre stage on the vibrant Brighton seafront and is a local landmark. Magnificent, imposing and the epitome of luxury. This is The Grand, Brighton. Following a recent extensive refurbishment, The Grand experience is one you will never forget. It's in the splendour of the 123 step sweeping staircase, the exquisite textures in the bedrooms, the delectable cuisine in GB1 restaurant and the sumptuous surroundings of The Spa at The Grand. It's in the stunning seaviews and the warmth with which you are welcomed. It's in its innate sense of style. The magnificent Grand is a popular location for films and television shows. Coronation Street, Eastenders and Only Fools and Horses have all shot episodes in the hotel. For the complete Brighton experience, it has to be The Grand, Brighton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Grand Brighton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The De Vere Grand Brighton Hotel Brighton
- De Vere Grand Brighton
- De Vere Grand Hotel Brighton
- Brighton Grand Hotel