“faded grandeur”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Location good just round the corner from the start of the shops / bars etc.

Room an excellent size and very clean, if a little tatty round the edges.

Would expect a 5* hotel to have free wifi in every room though, it wasn't until the last day that we were told that the cable under the dresser which had 2 labels clearly saying 'do not plug this into your laptop' was fine to plug in!

Beakfast was very good with plenty of choice.

Beds very comfy.

1  Thank sally4holidays

Reviewed 27 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel in June. This was my second visit to the hotel. The hotel is very good but I saw a difference from when I was last there two years ago. The first room I was in was very dull, perhaps because it had frosted glass windows. The windows were looking onto a wall so perhaps that is why. The website advertised "internet in every room". Well, there was a connection but it didn't work. I was told that it was one of the rooms listed where the iinternet was not working. I needed this service and after complaining for a little while, I was eventually moved to another room. This room was so much better and had a sea view (I had only paid for a basic room). However, the internet only worked from time to time. I think on my second day the internet was finally repaired. The lady who was the Guest Services Manager was so very heplful and went out of her way to assist. Thank you.

The dining room was nice with many of the tables in the conservatory overlooking the sea. The food was good (I was only booked for breakfast) with a good choice of hot and cold buffet. However, I did notice that the food was not as good as it was when I was last there two years ago. I cut a slice of break one morning and it was rock hard. You almost broke your teeth on it. Another morning, I chose a breadroll. That was even worse. I then began to think that the bread that was lying out on show was only for decoration until I read on the menu that it had "fresh baked bread". I never saw any fresh bread.

The swimming pool was closed for refurbishment. The gym was relocated to the first floor. It appeared to be a reasonable size and well equipped although I did not use it.

The hotel staff were friendly; helpful and polite.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again but PLEASE don't let this hotel go downhill as it is one of Brighton's best or certainly has been in the past.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We were given this stay as a gift. Will never go there again!!! Room small and dingy overlooking tower block and air-con units. We have had better travellodge rooms. Couldn't wait to get home.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2009

The lobby of the hotel is amazing and the check in staff wonderful. We booked in faster than any other hotel I can think of.

Our room was on the very top floor with a sea view. The size of the room would please anyone and the bathroom just as good. This is a very old hotel in need of a little attention, though when you think of the size and the age of the hotel this can't be done without a lot of care, a lot of time and goodness only knows at what price.

The location, style and staff more than make up for the cracked paint work. In fact we arrived on one of the hotest days of the year and found that our air con wasn't working, Within a few minutes of making the call we had a portable air unit fully working in our room. Excellent service.

Reviewed 7 July 2009

Having to wait until childcare arrangements were confirmed meant that my girlfriend and I had to book our accommodation for our night in Brighton only days before. This meant that by the time we started to search for a room there seemed to be only one left in the whole city... at The Grand. At £190 it was about £50 more than we usually pay for a hotel there, but we needed a room, so once booked I also phoned ahead and booked a space in the on site car park. At £25 per 24 hours it seemed a bit pricey, but knowing that it was secure and that our bikes could be stored there too made it worth the price.

My girlfriend checked in while I parked, and by the time I had sat in the heavy traffic to get round the block to the hotel car park she and our bags had been taken to a room, but unfortunately there was no air conditioning so it was hot and stuffy. She was then shown two others, and by the time I finally joined her had settled on room 105 on the first floor, just off the grand staircase. Our new room was large and spacious with a huge comfortable bed, a good sized bathroom, and air conditioning. We were very pleased.

The whole hotel could do with a makeover and bringing up to date, having last been renovated after the IRA bomb in 1984, but it is very clean and well maintained, and if anything the dated décor adds to the charm of the place. Front desk staff were extremely helpful, as was the guy who runs the car park, and all were extremely happy to accommodate our needs.

After a night out at our favourite Mexican restaurant we decided to avoid the area's busy bars and clubs and headed back to the hotel bar where we settled into a couple of very comfortable armchairs and made the most of the friendly and efficient table service. Drinks were very expensive but it was great to spend a couple of hours people watching... the highlight of the night being the newly married couple who, having left their wedding celebrations, instead of heading up to bed spent an hour or so propping up the bar.

Breakfast was one of the highlights of our stay. We managed to get a table in the conservatory area at the front of the dinning room and enjoyed a fantastic view out over the beach and the sea. However, our only gripe of the stay was that service at breakfast wasn't great, there was nobody to greet us and show us to a table, so nobody knew we were there and we struggled to get a waiter's attention to ask for tea and coffee. And toast too. However, this was more than compensated for by the choice and quality of the food which was presented self-service/buffet style. I opted for a full English, which included large slices of black pudding and fried eggs cooked to order, my girlfriend opted for the continental style offering. We were both more than satisfied with our choices and felt that, in spite of the service, breakfast was the highlight of our stay.

Brighton has many great hotels, and The Grand is one of them. We're already talking about a return visit at Christmas.

Reviewed 7 July 2009

We stayed here for two nights and found that it is perfectly located, overlooking beach and pier, in the heart of Brighton.
The hotel is an impressive classic building with a beautiful staircase, a nice bar and terrace.
Staff was friendly and helpful. Also, there was sufficient staff so we didn't have to wait (at check in, porters, breakfast, etc) which is a plus.
Breakfast was very good.

Unfortunately our room had no seaview, but we booked a reduced offer (160 pounds per night) so realised that we could not expect to have seaview.
However, we were slightly dissapointed to find that we actually had NO view. Windows were blinded leaving only to think what was next to it. Maybe a central airconditioning unit, because there clearly was some noise both day and night.
The room was spacious but lacked style. Maybe because it had not been decorated very recently and therefore looked a bit dated.

I guess hotels like this do create some expectations and then it might be difficult to live up to it.
In my opinion several aspects were good value for money, being: location, service, bar, breakfast, hotel atmosphere, room spaciousness.
Below my expectations were: decoration of room, location of room (no view at all), noise from outside the room.

You can park your car around the corner in a NCP parking which costs 15 pounds per day.

Have to decide to tck 'would i recommend yes or no'. I guess it is a yes, having no other hotel experience in Brigthon, but I would include the information I gave about the room.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We took 4 days at the Grand at a special rate ( 50%) . The standard room on the 4th floor had a frosted glass barely openable window - unpleasantly and cell like - we hit a heatwave and the cooling machine was primitive and useless. The very helpful manageress moved us to an identical room with a clear glass window after one stifling night. The cold water tap ran hot for 5 minutes and the hot water was a trickle and was turned off overnight for repairs to the system - it was worse next morning and a shower was impossible, There was a very limited table d'hote menu ( £22.50 basic ) and on Monday there was no grills available on the ( well overpriced ) a la carte - I had roast beef ( 1 mm thick slice ) - dry and clearly left over from Sunday. They add 10% "discretionary" service charge with a space on the bill for gratuities - I refused the 10% extra and they did not argue. The staff were very good
- ( mostly foreign language students ) - except for the usual unsmiling reception desk . Parking is impossible and £15 - £25 overnight. Traffic on the beach road very slow moving. Hotel geared to business use and expense accounts .