“Yes it is GRAND, but not 5 star”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
norfolk, england
“Yes it is GRAND, but not 5 star”
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Wanted a hotel for 3 nights last week in Brighton. I read through the reviews here and ended up a little depressed, nothing looked appealing.
I do not like Boutique hotels, they usually lack atmosphere and character, also they are often tarted up B&B’s at twice the price. Many have baths (roll top of course) in the bedrooms, preferably located in front of the windows and they sell the idea as trendy, when the only reason the bath is in the bedroom is because there is no room for a full en-suite. I am waiting for the balcony urinal as the next fantastic idea for boutique hotels. Just watch the gullible masses buy the spin and queue to book the rooms.
I reluctantly opted to stay at the Grand Hotel with an upgrade to a Sea-view room.
I decided that many of the bad Grand Hotel reviews were because the room was booked on a cheap package and in common with most other traditional hotels you end up in a broom cupboard at the rear of the hotel with views over the air conditioning units. So off we travelled with low expectations.

What a surprise! The sea front location is excellent, plentiful attentive staff on arrival. check in was immediate.
Initial impressions of the public areas were regal, the Grand certainly looked Grand but through rose tinted glasses.

Our Sea-view room was very good size, very clean but in need of a couple of hours of re-decorating. The en suite bathroom must have been re-furbished earlier in the year, very modern and spotless. The double doors to the balcony were wood framed and had seen better days and were not totally secure, the window above the doors was also wooden framed and ill fitting.

After 15 minutes a knock at the door, cleaning supervisor wanting to be sure we were happy with the room, did we need any extra tea, coffee etc.
For the total duration of our stay I was impressed by the quantity and quality of the staff, I happened to witness the start of day cleaners meeting/briefing on one of the floors, I thought this type of meeting died out in the 1920’s. This Cleaning supervisor would certainly sort out some of our dodgy unclean hospitals.
The message is clear in this hotel, if you want something, ask for it, you will get it and with politeness.
Restaurant was excellent, all food was cooked perfectly, one warning at peak breakfast times you may need to queue outside for 5 to 10 minutes.
This Hotel needs buckets of money spent on it to get it to a true 5 * in all areas, maybe the slightly tatty splendour works for many people.
I would rate it as a good 4* Hotel and I am pleased with my decision to stay here. I paid about £320 for a 3 day stay in a double sea view room, including breakfasts, this price compares very favourably with other Hotel breaks in Brighton.

My advice is to pay the extra for a Seaview room and park at the NCP at the rear of the hotel for £15 a day - one of the Grand staff suggested it!!.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,140)
  • Arabic first
Rickmansworth
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We stayed here for one night and although grand, you could tell it's age. It was in dire need of a refurbishment. The room was dinghy and I've stayed in a much better Premier Inn, for a lot less money. The spa was not up to 5* standard. I would chose one of the Brighton boutique hotels for quality & style, if you're looking to pay a reasonable amount. The only plus was that some of the food in the restaurant was superb.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Splurged on a seaview deluxe double room and wow was it a special treat ! Enormous room - many hotels would have called it a junior suite as it had a separate seating area in front of the large flat screen TV. But the best bit was, there was a hot tub for two in the bedroom ! How wonderfully decadent we felt looking out to sea whilst sitting in a steaming hot hot tub!

Comfy big bed. Walk in closet area. Shower made for two. MP3 docking station. Private balcony for two overlooking the sea. Big floor to ceiling windows so room was light and airy.

Lovely room service staff (you didn't expect us to leave our room surely!?!) - and don't be put off by the very limited room service menu, the reality is that when you phone them, you can have anything off of the main restaurant menu too (and the food we had at dinner was good).

Communal areas - very grand, you half expect Agatha Christie to walk by !

What could they do better - only two things I think. First, staff at reception were a bit grumpy. Secondly, the breakfast (all self-service from a buffet) was a bit ordinary.

Over all though, a lovely treat.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DC2008London
hotelinspector247
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Last week of July 2009. They have a young boy as a bell boy/concierge. No valet parking! Not willing to help guests who are looking for facilities - even when they are aware that their spa/swimming pool is closed! Did not even touch a PC to check Google for us! We arrived at about 12noon and denied early check-in (our check in is at 3pm). We went for a walk and came back to the hotel at 4pm. Do you want to know what they told us? They told us that the room isnt ready yet!!!! And the check-in staff wasn't even apologetic enough and even justified why it was late! Horrible people!!! They told us that it will take time to arrange our room because it's a twin room and they have to (exert more effort) separate our beds! How dare they justify that for a GBP220.00 per night rate? Excuse me, even a one or two star B&B can do a much much much better job than you!!! The rooms might be spacious but the service is appaling! And they are so stingy with the toiletries and the quality of these products cannot even be compared to the affordable Molton Brown. They know that the room will be occupied by two people but they only put toiletries for one! The body/skin lotion is old. Check it. Your conditioning shampoo - is not conditioning. Your saving grace - the breakfast and the charming foyer (and not the rooms). Btw, a power shower is a requirement - remember that. That's it. No, I will NEVER EVER recommend this hotel - there's really nothing special about it. Not worth your money - just book a B&B and splurge on shopping.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Location good just round the corner from the start of the shops / bars etc.

Room an excellent size and very clean, if a little tatty round the edges.

Would expect a 5* hotel to have free wifi in every room though, it wasn't until the last day that we were told that the cable under the dresser which had 2 labels clearly saying 'do not plug this into your laptop' was fine to plug in!

Beakfast was very good with plenty of choice.

Beds very comfy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sally4holidays
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel in June. This was my second visit to the hotel. The hotel is very good but I saw a difference from when I was last there two years ago. The first room I was in was very dull, perhaps because it had frosted glass windows. The windows were looking onto a wall so perhaps that is why. The website advertised "internet in every room". Well, there was a connection but it didn't work. I was told that it was one of the rooms listed where the iinternet was not working. I needed this service and after complaining for a little while, I was eventually moved to another room. This room was so much better and had a sea view (I had only paid for a basic room). However, the internet only worked from time to time. I think on my second day the internet was finally repaired. The lady who was the Guest Services Manager was so very heplful and went out of her way to assist. Thank you.

The dining room was nice with many of the tables in the conservatory overlooking the sea. The food was good (I was only booked for breakfast) with a good choice of hot and cold buffet. However, I did notice that the food was not as good as it was when I was last there two years ago. I cut a slice of break one morning and it was rock hard. You almost broke your teeth on it. Another morning, I chose a breadroll. That was even worse. I then began to think that the bread that was lying out on show was only for decoration until I read on the menu that it had "fresh baked bread". I never saw any fresh bread.

The swimming pool was closed for refurbishment. The gym was relocated to the first floor. It appeared to be a reasonable size and well equipped although I did not use it.

The hotel staff were friendly; helpful and polite.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again but PLEASE don't let this hotel go downhill as it is one of Brighton's best or certainly has been in the past.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
england
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We were given this stay as a gift. Will never go there again!!! Room small and dingy overlooking tower block and air-con units. We have had better travellodge rooms. Couldn't wait to get home.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple