Wanted a hotel for 3 nights last week in Brighton. I read through the reviews here and ended up a little depressed, nothing looked appealing.
I do not like Boutique hotels, they usually lack atmosphere and character, also they are often tarted up B&B’s at twice the price. Many have baths (roll top of course) in the bedrooms, preferably located in front of the windows and they sell the idea as trendy, when the only reason the bath is in the bedroom is because there is no room for a full en-suite. I am waiting for the balcony urinal as the next fantastic idea for boutique hotels. Just watch the gullible masses buy the spin and queue to book the rooms.
I reluctantly opted to stay at the Grand Hotel with an upgrade to a Sea-view room.
I decided that many of the bad Grand Hotel reviews were because the room was booked on a cheap package and in common with most other traditional hotels you end up in a broom cupboard at the rear of the hotel with views over the air conditioning units. So off we travelled with low expectations.
What a surprise! The sea front location is excellent, plentiful attentive staff on arrival. check in was immediate.
Initial impressions of the public areas were regal, the Grand certainly looked Grand but through rose tinted glasses.
Our Sea-view room was very good size, very clean but in need of a couple of hours of re-decorating. The en suite bathroom must have been re-furbished earlier in the year, very modern and spotless. The double doors to the balcony were wood framed and had seen better days and were not totally secure, the window above the doors was also wooden framed and ill fitting.
After 15 minutes a knock at the door, cleaning supervisor wanting to be sure we were happy with the room, did we need any extra tea, coffee etc.
For the total duration of our stay I was impressed by the quantity and quality of the staff, I happened to witness the start of day cleaners meeting/briefing on one of the floors, I thought this type of meeting died out in the 1920’s. This Cleaning supervisor would certainly sort out some of our dodgy unclean hospitals.
The message is clear in this hotel, if you want something, ask for it, you will get it and with politeness.
Restaurant was excellent, all food was cooked perfectly, one warning at peak breakfast times you may need to queue outside for 5 to 10 minutes.
This Hotel needs buckets of money spent on it to get it to a true 5 * in all areas, maybe the slightly tatty splendour works for many people.
I would rate it as a good 4* Hotel and I am pleased with my decision to stay here. I paid about £320 for a 3 day stay in a double sea view room, including breakfasts, this price compares very favourably with other Hotel breaks in Brighton.
My advice is to pay the extra for a Seaview room and park at the NCP at the rear of the hotel for £15 a day - one of the Grand staff suggested it!!.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a truly remarkable hotel. An iconic Victorian building, it stands centre stage on the vibrant Brighton seafront and is a local landmark. Magnificent, imposing and the epitome of luxury. This is The Grand, Brighton. Following a recent extensive refurbishment, The Grand experience is one you will never forget. It's in the splendour of the 123 step sweeping staircase, the exquisite textures in the bedrooms, the delectable cuisine in GB1 restaurant and the sumptuous surroundings of The Spa at The Grand. It's in the stunning seaviews and the warmth with which you are welcomed. It's in its innate sense of style. The magnificent Grand is a popular location for films and television shows. Coronation Street, Eastenders and Only Fools and Horses have all shot episodes in the hotel. For the complete Brighton experience, it has to be The Grand, Brighton. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Grand Brighton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The De Vere Grand Brighton Hotel Brighton
- De Vere Grand Brighton
- De Vere Grand Hotel Brighton
- Brighton Grand Hotel