“Nice, but nothing special”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Nice, but nothing special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed here for one night! We stayed in a twin room which when we arrived infact had a 3rd bed in there....the room was massive!! We hadn't paid for anything extra. It was on the corner of the hotel so Out the window we could see Brighton pier, the sea life center, and endless amounts of sea! The room wasn't the most classy of rooms, a lil dated, some scuff marks, but nothing dirty or unsanitory so no bother there! Ordered room service, came quickly, again not the best food I've ever eaten but still tastey and nicely presented!! Air con worked fine which was good as it was a hot evening! Woke in the night to a dripping sound, worried it was the aircon to start with but soon realised it was infact rain outside haha At night you can hear a little noise from outside but nothing that kept me awake for hours! All round a nice stay, it's excelent location would make me stay again!!

• Stayed May 2011
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially the room, the food and the location, as mentioned. We do have the advantage of being next to the Pier and very near the famous Brighton Lanes.

We would love to welcome you back for another enjoyable visit in the future.

Operations Manager (HCIMA)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
St Helier, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

We paid for a superior double room and granted the room we were given had an amazing view with 2 big windows overlooking the pier however that is where the good times ended. The room had no air conditioning and was extremely hot (when we asked for a fan we were provided with one however there was only one plug in the room which was being used so we could plug it in!!). We tried to open the window and were able to prop it open about 4 inches (we could see the room next to us could open their windows all the way). The wall paper around the room was coming off the walls. One on side of the bed we had a nice light shade however on the other we merely had a dangerously exposed light bulb. The mirror had not been cleaned neither had any of the windows. The bathroom had lime scale in the bath, mould all around the ceiling in the bathroom. We had at least 1 tile missing from the walls in the bathroom. The toilet still had stains in it from the previous occupant and the sink had not been cleaned for a long time. The breakfast we paid for was near on inedible everything tasted of fat and grease. If you don't like the taste of old fat I wouldn't recommend eating here! On the other side we had a friend who joined us and paid for a standard room, for single occupancy. He was given a room with no windows at all. Again much the same problems with hygiene and cleanliness. Also he reserved the room online, when he got their was told he was to receive a 50pound discount on the room and then when he checked out they accused him of not paying properly and they rudely demanded payment for the outstanding money (that he was told not to pay only 24 hours earlier by a different receptionist!!) We were all very happy we had only booked for one night as if we had booked for more I guarantee we would have gone to the next door (same period building however much better for food hygiene and cleanliness - don't understand how they can do it yet this place cannot!!) I had to scrub myself the next day when we got home we have never left somewhere feeling dirtier than when we arrived!

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel
1 Thank Rjk19
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very sorry to hear about your bad experience when staying at the Royal Albion.

The housekeeping issues with your room sound very extreme and not something which is the norm for the hotel. I am very shocked to hear about this and will be investigating this matter.

I have passed on your comments about the food to the Head Chef. Please be assured we take all feedback good or bad very seriously. We feel that we offer a great range at breakfast with the majority of our guests enjoying a Full English Breakfast.

I am sorry your friend felt that he received a lack of customer service from the reception. Our staffs receive ongoing training and it is always good to hear feedback so we can process further training.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your constructive comments and I can assure you they have been taken on board.

We would be delighted to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion.

Operations Manager (HCIMA)

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

We spent one night at the Royal Albion. This Hotel really does have the WOW factor. A lot of money has clearly been spent to keep the character of this regency Hotel. It must be a nightmare for the Management having to maintain 204 ensuite rooms
PARKING The Hotel does not have a car park. We parked at Brighton Marina (free for 4 hours) In Marina Drive Parking is free 6pm to 9am so we left the car there overnight and paid from 9am onwards
ROOM Our double room was beautiful and spacious. Very comfortable bed Full size normal kettle. Very big spa bath (unfortunately the spa didn't work and the top had cracks in it) A choice of dim or full lighting in the bathroom was a nice touch. Wonderful views from the window Old TV The remote control didn't work but this didn't bother us.
DINING We paid £9.95 each for a 3 course evening meal. Very happy with our meal. Breakfast was self service with a good choice of food. The ceiling in the Dining Room is stunning like most of the Hotel
LOCATION Could not be better. Overlooks the Pier and not far from the shops and The Lanes
PRICE Good value for money. We didn't expect a Rolls Royce when we paid for a mini
STAFF Helpful and efficient. Looked after our luggage until check in time. Well organized. Given a numbered ticket for when we returned for it. Replenished tea and milk when we ran out of of them in our room
We would definately go back. No wonder the Hotel was full and popular

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Dear Madam,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially the character of this hotel, also the food and the location, as mentioned. We do have the advantage of being next to the Pier and very near the famous Brighton Lanes. I am also pleased to know that our reception team have provided an excellent customer services.

We would love to welcome you back for another enjoyable visit in the future.

berkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

We spent one night in the Metropole first and decided to stay another night in Brighton and stumbled upon a great deal of £60 per room for an executive double with dinner, breakfast and wine. Was a little worried after reading the reviews.
Check in staff helpful, and efficient. We got 25% off car park in Church Street. We were not expecting much for £60 a room. There was still dinner plates etc outside my room at 5pm. However we were quite shocked when we entered our executives rooms. They were HUGE. With amazing sea views and the pier. They had one double and three singles with five large windows. The furnishings and decor, was very dated, and tatty. It seemed they just plonked a load of mismatched furniture together with very little thought to room design. The bedding was clean and the beds firm. The bathroom was clean and had a jacuzzi which was lovely. Although you can see beyond the decor, with the wonderful priceless views. You cannot ignore the very loud creaky floors. I was woken at 12.30am by what sounded like world war 3 going on above me. This went on till 3am with someone just generally walking back and forth across their room. Aswell as the noise above, I had to listen to the revellers from Belussi's nightclub opposite. Although the windows have secondary glazing, like everything in the rooms, is either falling apart or broken so some of them didn't close fully and let in a draft and loads of noise.
I was unable to read, as the bedside lights, were so far away from the bed, they did not light my book. The TV was a tiny portable with about 6 fuzzy channels. The room next door had a large CRT TV with freeview box. I am not sure why this was not replicated in the other room seeing as they were both executive, as it's little details like this which can mark a hotel down.
The evening inclusive meal was a worry. We were not expecting much since we saw coach parties arriving. It was buffet style with different vegetables and two meat dishes. We had the vegetarian dish of spinach pasta with cheese sauce. What we actually got was bland pasta re-heated in the microwave in milk. It was tasteless and disgusting that we left this and just had the veg which was fine. There was also a soup and bread and two desserts, so much better than expected. The free house wine was pretty awful. Totally undrinkable, they charged £11 for this in the bar. I had to tip it down the sink!
Breakfast was buffet style. the usual hot stuff,. though I am glad that I am vegetarian as I didn't like the look of the sausages or the egg come to that.
I have travelled all around the world in loads of different star ratings so I don't write my reviews with high expectations or have really high standards, I review honestly as I see it. To sum up for the price we paid, we were more than happy with our stay here. I don't think it's worth much more than £60 apart from the huge executive rooms with sea views as the view is priceless.
The exterior has just had a facelift, if they could apply this to the interior and rooms, and give them a makeover, this would be a stunning hotel. But if you want a restful nights sleep think again.........

Room Tip: Get an executive room but away from the nightclub
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Royal Albion.

I am very sorry that certain aspects of the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Regarding the noise of the floor, as we are undergoing a major refurbishment programme, and I am all too aware that some of our bedrooms need to be completed as soon as possible. And unfortunately some of our rooms are suffering the noise from the night club occasionally.

I am sorry that you did not find the food satisfactory, we rarely get complaints about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef.

I am glad you did enjoy the location of the hotel and the room you have been given. We do have the advantage of being next to the Pier and very near the famous Brighton Lanes.

Woking
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I stayed here with my partner for two nights (27th to 29th April).
While I was pleased to have got a good rate £97 for two nights), there were some issues, so I thought id write an honest account.

Check in: Was completed quickly and efficiently, although, the gentleman checking us in was really miserable. Training in customer service, politeness and smiling is most definitely needed!!! Saw him a few times and he had a permanent frown.
We did have an issue where the keys to the room didn't work but that was sorted immediately when my boyfriend ran back to the desk.

Room: We stayed in room 125.
No major issues with the room; it was clean and spacious and fit for purpose.
It was a little old fashioned, but clean which is the main thing.
The bathroom however was a bit 'worn & tired'. The fittings were fine, but things like the tiles around the shower looking cracked and were going a bit black, and the toilet and flooring looked a bit grim. However these could be fixed with a good scrub, a bit of new grouting and some toilet limescale remover?
We also only had one bath towel...something we unfortunately only realised after my boyfriend had a shower, used the towel, then I got out with nothing to dry myself?
The tea & coffee in the room wasn't very nice, and there certainly was not enough (although I'm sure we could have got more if we'd gone to reception and asked), so my boyfriend bought some milk and pg tips to keep in the room which i appreciated!
My boyfriend was a bit cold in the room (unusually, i wasnt cold), but couldnt get the radiator on (maybe on a timer rather than individually controlled?). There was a blanket in the wardbrobe though.

Breakfast: Lovely, hot and plenty of choice! The buffet consisted of sausages, bacon, scrambled egg, fried bread, baked beans, tomatoes, porridge and toast.
There was also cereals, croissants, jam/marmalade, and various juices as well as tea/coffee.

Location: For us, it was perfect. Right opposite the pier & beach. Short walk to the bars/clubs/shops etc but far enough away for noise not to be an issue.

Parking: seems to be a general problem in Brighton. Hotel does not have parking, and the email sent to me by hotel suggested parking in NCP. After checking on the internet, this would have cost me £50 for the 48 hours we were there! Extortionate!
We ended up driving up the coast road and parking on the beach road 10 mins away from hotel (towards marina). This did mean we had to go top up the meter at 9.30 both mornings (nice morning walk in the sunshine though!) but it meant it cost us only £16!!! Definitely worth it to save ourselves £34!

There was one issue which did rather taint our stay! After getting up early to put money on the parking meter and having breakfast, I decided to go back to bed for a nap. I didn't close the curtains as it was a beautiful day. I woke up an hour later to a noise and realised there was a workman on the balcony chipping the paint away. I was absolutely mortified, as I had only my underwear on and no bed clothes, and despite there being net curtains up, it was obvious he would have been able to see me in the room!
I was naturally extremely upset and embarrassed and called my boyfriend to come back!! I got dressed and went out for lunch, while my boyfriend calmed me down. He pointed out that there wasn't much point in complaining, as all they can really do is change our room, and it's likely the workmen would finish early afternoonish, and being a bank holiday, wouldn't be back while we were there.
In hindsight, I wish I had complained, as the management shouldn't be giving these rooms to guests while the workmen are working on the balcony???? I will be contacting the management to advise of this serious breech of privacy.

In all, this hotel could provide good value for money,but does need a bit of sprucing up to keep up with their competitors, and definately should invest in some customer service training to keep the customers coming in, especially as there are other nice hotels in the area in the same price range.

Also, the lounge...while nice enough, it was like stepping foot in to a morgue! No atmosphere whatsoever, and everyone was sat in silence with a frown on their faces, so we left after about 30 seconds! Maybe a bit of music would lighten the atmosphere (and put the smiles back on the faces of the guests and reception staff!! haha)?

We went to check out, and there was a queue of about 4 people in front of us. It seemed to take ages, so my boyfriend left to take the bags to the car, but the queue got moving and i was out before he had made it past the pier! (I must say the lady doing checkout was much nicer than the guy doing check-in!!!

Overall...would i stay here again? Yes - providing I got a good deal, as it was cheap, clean and in a good location. I did get good value for money - but i would have felt short changed had I paid any more.
Such a shame, as a few improvements here and there would make such a massive difference to the hotel.

Room Tip: Park on the seafront front!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 8 May 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay.

I apologise that on this occasion the hotel did not meet your expectations. We do take customer feedback seriously good or bad and use it in both developing staff customer service and our facilities.
I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the standard of reception team, housekeeping in your room, also some maintenance issues. I am considering further training for all the departments. We do try our best to deal with all housekeeping and maintenance issues as soon as reported to us. I am glad that you did enjoy the breakfast and the location as mentioned. We feel it is a sufficient space with a nice view overlooking the sea.

About the workman on the balcony, I can only apologize for the uncomfortable experience you must have gone through. I have already taken further investigation, and that should had never happened and won’t happen again.

Parking has always been an issue for Brighton centre. We could only recommend the parking area which the ones guarantee spaces. I am glad to hear that you parked closer and cheaper than we suggested.

I do hope you will return to the hotel should you have a need for accommodation in the Brighton area in the future.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

Having read the last review before I started to write this one. I was convinced that I must have already written it, because the previous report echoed my sentiments entirely.

The good..............
It's on the seafront by the pier and a stones throw from the pavillion. it's handy for everything. They replaced a rock hard(standard) pillow with a softer one on request. The breakfast staff are attentive and clear tables and plates with enthusiasm( perhaps a little too much). Lovely views of the sea and pier. It's dead easy to find!! Tea and coffee facilities in the room good. Bed firm but acceptable to me. My partner hated every aspect of the room

The bad .........
I have never left a hotel early: - we paid for three days and left a day early. The Hotel is in need of a full makeover; our room room 117 had stained and un-vacuumed carpet, a huge crack in the top of the bath that looked like a house brick had been dropped from a metre above. The rooms have paper thin walls(stud walls from an era when previous rooms were spacious) and a balcony that is shared by two other rooms; it is possible to lie on your bed and see the person leaning over the balcony and of course they can also see you ( a voyeurs paradise) signs clearly forbid you from using the balcony at certain times for this reason.

The room is obviously south facing and has no aircon( a notice informs clients that the aircon unit is not working. The room is hot and stuffy. Well I hear the manager say 'open a window'. Yes, then I will be cooler but unable to sleep due to the noise and of course my neighbours could wander in for a chat later on from our shared balcony.
The room is very noisy; it's in a city above the main promenade at a traffic junction so you can expect this.

You can clearly hear the person speaking in the room next door.

Parking is a nightmare which could be made easier by a proper loading unloading area outside the hotel. The place is patrolled by very vigilant(e) wardens who wait hawkishly by the dozen or so overpriced short-term parking spaces outside the hotel.

You won't find Lenny Henry and his duck staying here.

The ugly........... On arrival at breakfast, no greeting; no, would you like to sit here. I even tried to find the waiter to ensure that I signed in for breakfast. on the guestlist. He said that it didn't matter. Now, being treated with indifference is not the most welcoming experience,

The layout of breakfast makes negotiating a route to your table a challenge. ' Pack em in tight' seems to be the motto.

The breakfast. Transport cafe budget sausage. The bacon was flavourless and the scambled egg was 'probably' dried from a catering mix, but those sausage ugh!!! To make this type of sausage you need to remove the skin from several chickens and mechanically recover meat from animal carcases. Pigs ears, connective tissue and rusk can then be used to make a slurry.The resulting mush is then used to fill a plastic skin and there we have the finished item:- the Royal Albion Sausage. It was really the worst breakfast that I have ever had. I love going away for a few days just for the English Breakfast experience.

Coffee.....never, brown water with a hint of something in it, but not coffee. Lord knows what the large numbers of Germans and other internationals thought of it.

I could not face another night there and decided to leave early forfeiting the sum of £120 which was the price of the nightly stay. I woulld treat positive reviews of this place with suspicion.
I feel sorry for the manager of this Hotel who has been left to 'flog this dead horse'

I have never left any where early before, except maybe when i was camping in the Lake District and the tent blew down in the night.

1 Thank Rawson-Gill
Hampshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

This was our second stay at the Royal Albion and we picked up a great deal from the Britannia Hotels group's own website. Tip: they state that their rooms are never sold any cheaper on any other sites so worth going direct. Our deal was a superior room with sea view, breakfast and dinner included plus a free bottle of wine for an incredibly low price- less than one night stay in a private B & B. The food was perfectly adequate - not of Hilton breakfast standard but we were not paying Hilton prices. Most of the rooms appear to have been refurbished now- this has been a work in progress over the last couple of years. The location is brilliant for all of the Brighton nightlife plus great walks along the beach, around the Lanes and the hotel only a ten minute walk from the railway station, thought we did get a taxi back to the station as it is all uphill!
Our check-in was quick and efficient- our room was ready earlier than advertised and we did not have to queue to check out either. The only downside is that there is only one lift and sometimes the waiting time is excessive. All in all, another great value stay and we will be back soon.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Royal Albion Hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here.

Unfortunately we do just have one lift, this is to do with the hotel being a listed building.

We would be delighted to welcome you back for a future stay.