“Location but no quality.”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Reading
“Location but no quality.”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The location of the RA cannot be faulted - right on the pier and next to the lanes. Its a shame the same cannot be said of its quality and staff.

It took us 30 mins to check in a very hot and busy reception area with only one staff on duty and no one else willing to help. The lady in front of us was waiting to check out 30 mins after arriving due to a dirty room which didnt fill us with hope! Upon finally checking we found our room past various bags of rubbsh and sheets left outside rooms (4pm). Our room was a deluxe with spa bath and sea view and was functional but dated. The carpets were dirty and the wardrobes and TV were clearly old!! We had a balcony overlooking the sea hich was great but the other balconies were dirty which kind of spoiled that element. We missed the included dinner as we needed to escapre the various stag and hen dos in residence!! I wouldnt recommend or stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Royal Albion Hotel.

I apologise that on this occasion the hotel did not meet your expectations. We do take negative feedback seriously and I have taken the necessary steps to rectify this.

I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel on the see front and close to the city centre of Brighton.

I have contacted housekeeping and maintenance managers to act on the feedback regarding your room and its presentation. Improvements will be made and monitored.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the behaviour or noise made by other guests although I do appreciate the nuisance this must have caused you.

I would like to ensure that any future stays in the hotel benefit from these changes and we hope that you will return to the hotel for a pleasant stay, as experienced by the majority of our guests.

Operations Manager (HCIMA)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The room could at best be described as "functional" it was not as clean as perhaps it should have been, the noise from the road and seafront outside the window was quite intrusive, the bathroom facilities were poor, the sink had a crack in it and there was mould around the bath.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have contacted the maintenance manager to act on the feedback regarding your stay. Improvements will be made and monitored.

Operations Manager (HCIMA)

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel on the 15th of May. This was a sunday evening, and there were two staff on, who were very busy. There seemed to be no kind of orderly system for a queue, only the clients stating whose turn it was. At one stage someone just came in from the street and was attended to, then left.

The plus side:
Spacious room
Bed linen was clean
Bed was okay.

The minus side:
There were flies in the room.
There were stains on the carpet, as well as fraying edges.
There were only a few power points.
The television was old and broken.
The toilet did not flush properly, and could do with a deep clean.
There was dust on bed head board.
The walls were not sound proof at all. Footseps and loud talking could be heard throughout the night/morning.
There was no water in the room.
The room felt cold.
No Bible.
Having said all the above, the hotel has character but badily needs some tlc. I am sure that in her day the Royal Albion was a stunner. I would recommend it for the fact that it offers good value for a really short break.

Room Tip: Tell the staff about all the issues you find.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PatsyClineLondon
Dear Sir/Madam,

I apologise that on this occasion the hotel did not meet certain expectations and thank you for commenting on the positives of your stay. We do take negative feedback seriously and I have taken the necessary steps to rectify this.

I have contacted housekeeping and maintenance managers to act on the feedback regarding your room. Improvements will be made and monitored.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Check in staff most unfriendly...told check out at 10 before any nice friendly greeting...room no problem apart from unable to open window......if you want to be kept awake until past 4am then this is the place for you due very noisey night club opposite...avoid rooms in the 30's thats the west side of the building....have they never heard of double or treble glazing.....breakfast basic with very cheap wrinkled sausages and each time I went back to my table it had been completly cleared so I had 3 cups and 3 different napkins...there needs a lot of customer first courses in this establishment, I wont call it a hotel......tired and in need of a complete face lift. Do they really want any guests I am not sure as....check in 3pm check out 10am and a 10p a minute telephone number.....offered a 50% discount for a future stay but no thank you not even for free.......

Room Tip: As you face the sea the disco is to the right..avs
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank milnthorpe
Dear Sir/Madam,

I apologise that on this occasion the hotel did not meet your expectations. We do take negative feedback seriously.

I have taken steps to contact the departments which have contributed to your poor experience and will monitor that these standards are maintained. We are taking steps to make sure that the basics are not forgotten.

UK
Reviewed 25 May 2011

It is well worth looking for special offers at this hotel. We found a nice deal for a Friday evening stay which included a 3 course evening meal, wine and breakfast. The hotel is ideally situated opposite the pier and there was a great view of this and the promenade from our fifth floor room.

We were (pleasantly) suprised by the good value - the room was big, the food was excellent and the staff polite. This is an old hotel, but there lies in it's charm. Thoroughly recommended. We will definately be looking out for deals in the future.

Tip: there is no parking at the hotel (which is quite common for many of the hotels in Brighton) but we parked up in The Lanes multi-story which is only a few minutes stroll away. The car seemed secure there and the cost was not too bad for the length of time we left it there.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I enjoyed reading your review and have passed on the positive response to other members of staff.

We hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We staid here for just one night (luckily) and we were really disappointed.

The room was filthy: dirty mugs, dirty kettle, dirty sheets, dirty and tatty carpet.

The chandelier was missing a bulb and the other 6 weren't matching...when you talk about little touches...

Huge hole in the bathroom's ceiling. Really shoddy furniture. The telly was broken....everything was purple/green on the screen.

Breakfast is really poor and the choice is limited. If you think about a nice and fresh buffet forget about it! The orange juice is more than concentrated and the toasts are rocks. I couldn't believe they were serving tinned peeled tomatoes instead of freshly roasted tomatoes (I read the manager assuring they're not using tinned tomatoes here on tripadvisor...well YOU ARE A LIAR). This place is absolutely overpriced. We asked for a map of the city and they gave us a black and white photocopy....we were speechless.

We will never stay here again, we felt robbed and we suggest to look at somewhere else to stay if you don't want to be frustrated about paying for something you shouldn't pay for.

All my respect to the people are working there, but this hotel is just wrongly maintained.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
2 Thank JDronne

IDear Sir/Madam,

We do try to deal with any housekeeping issues as soon as they are reported, and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues raised in your review which were not to our standards.

London
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Great hotel in an excellent location- the room was okay, nice enough- Although I was really pleasantly surprised with the food! The breakfast had a lot of choice and the evening meal in particular was excellent. There was a lot of choice-salmon, chicken and beef! I'd definately come and stay here again!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antelope459
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 23 May 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Royal Albion Hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially our restaurant.

We would be delighted to welcome you back for another pleasant future stay.

Kind Regards