Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Legends Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$101
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$137
US$123
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$111
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
3,135 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 September 2011

After waiting for 45 minutes to check in (which didn't get any quicker throughout the day) we arrived at our room. It absolutely stunk of cigarettes and the windows were all unopenable. The beds had springs poking through which made for a great nights sleep! The third bed in our room, a pull out, had no sheet pillow or duvet just what looked like an old dog blanket. I complained to reception but nothing was done. The second night I switched rooms to share with another friend, this room was more bareable. Location is great however everything else was poor, including the breakfast. I wouldn't stay again if it was free!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stays at The Royal Albion Hotel Brighton.

I am extremely disappointed to hear that your stay did not conform to the standards usually afforded by The Royal Albion Hotel Brighton.

If any guests is unhappy with there room we do ask that they speak to a Duty Manager who can resolve any of your issues. If the pull out bed is required housekeeping can bring linen to your room and make up the bed.

We offer a full English breakfast and full continental breakfast which is replenished throughout service. I am disappointed that this did meet your expectations.

We do value the comments you have made and will use this to improve the standard and service we provide to all our guests.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Nick Wright
Operations Manager (HCIMA)

Reviewed 21 September 2011

Booked this hotel the night before stay. Prices had gone up £20 from when I checked the price 2 days before!!!
Is an old fashioned hotel. Nice from outside and couldn't be better located for the sea front & the Lanes/shopping & restaurants.
A bit dated inside and I wouldn't reccomend the Breakfast. Could not check in before 3pm and have to pay £10 an hour if you want to check out later than 10am. Staff were fine but they were short staffed and only 1 lift for 5 floors.
We paid for a standard room and got a sea view and was not noisy from other rooms. On the 3rd floor, windows opened fine and bathroom clean.
Not a luxurious stay but great for a short break. We stayed for 3 nights.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am pleased that we did receive fair to high marks on all categories.
Rates do vary and can increase if there are few rooms left; this is also dependent on the day of the week or time of year.

I am glad that you found the room comfortable and enjoyed the sea view.
We do value the comments made and we hope that you will visit us again soon.

Kind Regards

Nick Wright
Operations Manager (HCIMA)

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We had a 'superior' room which had an amazing view of the pier but was otherwise lacking in superiority in any other way. Nice, clean and comfy bed but wallpaper peeling off the wall, windows painted shut so completely airless, mouldy old bathroom, very loud plumbing whenever anyone in the adjoining rooms used a tap, old fashioned TV with un-working remote control, and a sneeze making amount of dust. Breakfast TERRIBLE. Got our money back for both days without any question - they are obviously aware of how poor it is. Very disappointing. Needs a massive amount of upgrading to become anywhere near as grand ays it claims to be.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I travelled with my daughter for 2 nights and paid £275 for a 'superior' twin bedded room with a sea view.The 'view' was only through a side window (that was extremely dirty ) We had heard at check in that there wre no more sea views available. The beds had the springs sticking out so much so that I had to put a blanket on top of it to make it even reasonable to sleep on. The bathroom was filthy particularly the overflow and the shower head. I complained at the desk as we went out saying that i felt we were in danger of contacting Legionnaire's disease and asked that the room be cleaned, when we returned it was still in the same state but there was an ironing board and an iron that we hadn't asked for there.Despite requests to remove them and to clean the room nothing changed and i expect they are still there. The decor in the room consisted of bleached out curtains, stained and broken chairs (like riding a bucking bronco),threadbare carpets, ripped and disgustingly dirty valances on the beds and small stained towels.
The breakfast was disgusting as well as being a free for all, because there was no room we were directed to the bar area where every time we left the table to try and find something vaguely edible to eat the table was cleared of any cutlery we had managed to find, so much so I had to go round to other tables asking if we could have their spare cutlery.
You might ask yourselves why we stayed but there is no denying the location is fantastic, this wouldn't make me stay here again at any price.

Room Tip: book another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Don't. Just don't.

I was unlucky enough to be booked here for a 1 night business trip in Brighton. The location, name and thumbnail exterior pictures all seem good, the reality is not.

After checking in, behind all the americans wanting to change room presumeably in the hope of getting a better one, I headed up the stairs. Careful now, those steps are dodgy, my favourite being the one 3rd from top which is both shallower than the others and moves when you step on it so you stumble onto the first landing.

Ah, the first landing.... look past the rough polyfiller on the cracks in the walls and gaze down to the bar... or at least you could if the windows weren't so filthy. Really filthy. In fact at one point downstairs I looked outside decided the weather looked grey and horrible so took a coat with me. Actually it was sunny outside but the windows were so dirty they disguised the good weather as a grey day!

Arriving in my room.... well it's ok on first appearance. Luckily reviews are not about first appearances. Let's examine the rooms best notable discoveries:
The TV - an old CRT possibly reclaimed from a skip, which came with a "universal" remote control. Universally rubbish as it does NOTHING to control the tv at all, despite the batteries being ok.
The balcony. - Sealed off for safety reasons, possibly the rusty railings but I couldn't really tell through the thick dirt on the glass outside.
The view - Ahhh, lovely view over the bus lane and the wheelie bins.
The air conditioning/heating - doesn't work, at all, you can shiver or use the smelly old blanket in the wardrobe.
The floodlight - wait, what!? Yes, the floodlight. Someone brilliant installed the 500 Watt flood lights right outside the bedroom window, pointing them at the glass. Even with the curtains drawn the room was still alarmingly bright. This dreadful implications of this are somewhat reduced by all the dirt on the windows reducing the amount of light making it inside!
The bathroom - "Snug" would be descriptive. God forbid there are 2 of you in the room as the door would shatter the legs of anyone sat on the loo. However on my own I could instead just enjoy the damp ambience of the black mould, peeling mastic seal around the bath while I drummed in time to the dripping/leaking taps.

Let's gloss over the rest of the room, the lack of tv guide, dated furniture etc which I would have accepted from a bad hotel anyway.

Time for dinner!...... Don't. Just don't.
I was advised to "book a table" for dinner. This is easier said than done since the dining room staff didn't speak English. I asked for a menu and was told "no menus". What kind of restaurant doesn't have menus you ask? Well a restaurant that doesn't want you to know what you're eating just in case you try to compare it to something edible you ate once before.

I was seated by someone who appeared to be in charge of the dining room. He looked about 18 so presumeably wasn't on work experience, though that would have been forgiveable.

After nearly 10 minutes sat at my table going hungry I was able to call over a waitress and asked if I could order..... "no". Ok.... "How do I get something to eat please?" "Help yourself" as she gestured to the counter in the corner. OK.... "Can I order a drink please?" "No, you must buy drink from the bar". Would have been good to have been told that earlier eh? Possibly when I booked the table, or when I was shown to the table, or just have a sign somewhere....

Anyway, I went to collect a "starter" the only recogniseable and vaguely appealing thing being some salad leaves and tinned olives from bowl. On returning to my table a minute later I discovered 2 old ladies sat there. Evidently the "please wait to be seated" sign doesn't apply to all.

After hungrily eating my "salad" (i'm going to call it a salad, in the same way one might call the damp leaves in a prepacked sandwich a salad) I decided to try the main course.

Back to the "buffet" (loose term indeed!) to try the mains. Now at this point a menu would have prepared me, even a sign by each dish would have informed me, but I had to take a guess. The overboiled white fish didn't look good, I'm not sure what the 2nd dish was but I'm going to call it chicken in sauce but I'm not convinced, so I settled for lasagne. I also helped myself to overboiled green beans and reheated chips...... It wasn't lasagne.

After managing half a plate of "food" I gave up. I looked around to see if anyone else was similarly dismayed but as all the other patrons were over 70 and on coach tours I presume the hotels feedback is always "lovely". That said compared to the nursing home a cup of tea at the church hall is lovely, doesn't mean I'd go on holiday there.

I wondered if I should advise anyone I'd finished but given the lack of any staff interest in anything other than passing time I just got up and walked out. I had a drink in the bar and then went to buy fish and chips around the corner which was much more edible.

That night I went to bed. I won't say I went to sleep as I don't categorize a series of 20 minute naps as sleep. Between the floodlight illumination of my room, the noisy shouting/door slamming outside the window and 5am delivery trucks outside my window I'm not convinced I slept at all.

Breakfast - see dinner for the general quality. Don't try the tomato ketchup, it's caterers equivalent of tesco value but has been diluted by so much vinegar you can still taste it an hour later. Likewise many aspects of the cooked food are bad and the "short n curly" dark hairs on some of the tea cups put me off trying the coffee.

On checking out I was delighted to find the "manager" working on reception, training his latest recruit. I asked if he'd like some honest feedback about the room/hotel and went on to convey some of the issues. "I can give you an address to complain to if you want?" he said. Kinda makes it clear that he just wanted to get through another day.

I don't want a refund as I didn't pay for the room. I don't want to complain as I don't care if the hotel improves or not. However I do want to warn others as this hotel is bad. Don't waste your money! My colleague stayed in the Premier Inn, half the price and much better quality.

If you're in Brighton, avoid this hotel at all costs!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business