“Excellent Value”

Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My mother (73yrs) and I booked a coach trip and stay in Brighton we arrived on Monday afternoon and left on Friday Morning the cost was £209 and included return coach journey, two coach trips, breakfast and evening meal, and 4 night stay in the Albion. The coach parked at the Hotel, The manager Mohammed greeted us on the coach, told us meal times and hotel info, gave us our room keys (a card) and told us our suitcases would be brought to our rooms. I had read these reviews before i arrived and was a little worried. Generally I don't holiday in england and prefer to back pack around Asia, so maybe I'm used to less comfort but to be honest I couldn't fault this hotel, yes it is a bit faded and it is an old building, the main road on the sea front is very busy and the building gets dirty quickly which makes it difficult to keep the large sea view windows clean. (They were cleaned during our stay), the restaurant is a little small, there is only one lift and the toilets are a bit of a trek from the bar but it is a three star hotel not 5 star and you get what you pay for. On the plus side, it is very central, there are beautiful views over the sea, I loved the food tasty, well cooked, plentiful with lots of choice it wasn't haute cuisine but probably the best hotel buffet style food I've had, Vodka and a diet coke was £3.45 which although dearer than my local is average city prices. My mother requested a room on the first floor at the back of the building (she thought it would be too noisy on the front) and thats exactly what we got. We were lucky enough to have the two hottest days of the year and the room was a bit stuffy for my mother, we requested a fan and received it in under ten minutes. The room was large, old but clean, the shower was lovely, although I was told the water was cold before 7am (I was on holiday so I didn't try that.) My mother had the address of some relatives she wished to visit in Brighton but had forgot the phone number. The girls on reception went to great lengths to find it for her. In fact I really cannot agree with any of the complaints against the staff. They are a multicultural bunch but the nicest hotel staff I have ever come across, nothing was too much trouble for them and they were always friendly and polite (I noticed on one of the reviews before i went someone complaining that the socket switches were very dirty and I did notice a very grubby pair of switches in the bar area so I asked a young polish girl to clean them and she did immediately chatting away to me, she then checked all the rest) The night manager Mike was lovely. The lights in the bar fused one evening and he couldn't get them back on so he sent everyone in the lounge and provided a waiter service for drinks. I would definitely stay there again. I don't know what the general prices are, we were on a package so it was very reasonable, I wouldn't pay more than £60 a night but then I wouldn't pay more than that anywhere and I would be happy with a lot less than the Albion had to offer.

Room Tip: Can't really comment as only saw our room, I would have preferred a room on the front , my mothe...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Chrismarog
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.

Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We were planning to stay in Worthing but couldnt find a hotel that would accomodate us for 7 days. We chose the hotel for only one reason.It is located right infront of the Brighton Pier and just 2 streets away from the shopping areas and The Royal Pavilion.

Breakfast is so so(buffet of eggs,ham,sausage,scrambled and boiled eggs, also with cereals and fruit juices).

I read bad reviews of the hotel about the dirty carpets, hard bed etc and was expecting it. Maybe when u expect the worse, any improvement is better than nothing at all. I found our room quite neat but of course not at par compared to four or five star hotels. It was a double bed which was quite comfortable. We had a small cabinet to hang our clothes in and a dresser. The bathroom has a jacuzzi tub but our faucet was leaking and quite noisy at night.

We were given a room on the top(5th floor). The only elevator in the hotel was quite small .The floor on the 5th floor made a squicking sound when u walk on it.

Parking is not free. You have to park at your own cost normally about 12 pounds per day. But street parking is free from 6pm-9pm.

The room has not airconditioning and no fan so it might be a problem if weather is hot.

Room Tip: Always ask a room facing the seaside or the Brighton Pier which is just across from the hotel. You c...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank betty l

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed on 15 June 2012 for 2 nights. The location is brilliant, right opposite the pier. We booked for 2 nights which included breakfast and an evening meal and a bottle of wine on the day of arrival. We had requested a pop up bed in a double room.

We arrived too late for dinner so the hotel agreed we could have our evening meal and wine on the following evening, and was no problem. Our room had a seaview and a jacuzzi and was split level so our 6 year old daughter had her own space upstairs, in a proper bed. She absolutely loved the quirkyness of the room.

Yes the window needed replacing and wallpaper was coming off the wall under the window but would wallpaper really effect your break away? Obviously some people let the slightest thing upset them.

The weather was very windy when we stayed which meant I could hear the waves and the window was rattling lots during the night. Of course there were groups of hen and stag weekends staying in the hotel and coming in late and I could also hear people in the room next door late at night so it did seem very noisy but I am a light sleeper and my husband and daughter seemed to sleep fine!

The food wasn't brilliant but it was okay. The evening meal was help yourself and there were some dishes ordered by request which I did and my meal came out beautifully presented and didn't take too long. The desserts were very rich and there wasn't anything suitable for my daughter but the waitress didn't hesitate to bring out ice cream for her. There was a wedding party on in the hotel so I should imagine the staff were very busy but that didn't affect our stay.

There is some parking outside which is free overnight and there is a NCP and a car park for the shopping mall not too far away.

The staff were very friendly. We were staying for the London to Brighton bike ride and the staff were helpful in storing my husband's bike and also with taking our luggage to the room and even offering to load our car the following day.

Its not a swanky, modern hotel. Its a hotel that was built in 1800s so you wouldn't really expect clean lines and chrome but I wouldn't have any hesistation in staying here next year.

Room Tip: If you want a duplex family room ask for 518 but bear in mind it is on the sea front and you can hea...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Claire D

essex
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on 16th June with friends. The location of the hotel is excellent, the hotel however is probably one of the worst I have stayed in. The bedroom on the top floor was small, the bed was more of a single bed rather than a double, and was like sleeping on wood. The room smelt of damp, the tv reception was crap, could not get a mobile signal as we were surrounded by walls out side. There was no hotwater for whole duration of our stay. The bathroom had cracked tiles all around the bath, with some of the tiles sitting on the ledge of the bath. The 'jacuzzi' didn't work either. There was only one electric socket that worked ... Making it hard to use either hair dryer, mobile chargers etc at the same time. The decor of the room was old, haggard and wall paper falling off the walls, paint work was black, and carpet looked like it had not been cleaned for years. Our friends all had the same issues one was offered to swap to a room in the basement but that room was even worse. The drinks at the bar were a complete rip off, the bar staff were rude, and the breakfast was crap. The seating area was your sit where you can or told to by staff ... Which resulted in us not being able to sit together. The windows all around the whole hotel were so disgustingly dirty we all thought it was foggy outside!.... There is nothing positive I can say about this hotel apart from the location, and the fact we kicked up a fuss about no hot water and was reimbursed 20% of the £105 fee for 1 night.... Would not recommend this hotel to anyone and definately would not stay there again... Give me Bannings at No 14 ANYTIME !!!!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank baileys33
Dear Guest,

I would first like to apologise for any delay in responding to your complaint; we take complaints made to the hotel seriously and value the time it takes to make such a complaint.

Your complaint in regards to the hotel has been rectified.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Operations Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Twyford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I have been meaning to write a review but Know that my son still comments on the horrible room we stayed in. I imagine there are probably worse but broken lights, mouldy bathroom, broken furniture, mouldy windows that didn't shut, poor service from a manners and level of service perspective.
The staff in the restaurant at breakfast were miserable but I think it was working there. The batman was nice and one highly overworked reception lady tried to smile but other reception staff, lazy and insolent.
I complained when I left as I didn't want our stay to be spoilt even more. When I called the hotel, email led etc to complain, to this day I still wait a response.
The staff when I booked on the Best Western line were extremely professional and helpful, such a shame they had no idea what they were really representing.
I did travel last February but as I have just stayed in such a lovely hotel I had to write about, I have taken this opportunity about the royal Albion.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sharon F

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I'd like to start with the ONLY positive about this hotel. It is very close to the Brighton pier and the view from our room shows that and that is the only thing that I can say that would be adequate to say without resorting to foul language.
My husband and I are convinced that there has to be one of these three reasons that this hotel is still in business:
1) The owner's just don't care about anything. Not service, nor upkeep, nor hiring staff that realize that they are in the service industry.
2) The owner's know exactly the jewel of this location and are just waiting for someone to buy it and let THEM pay for refurbishing what would be a historical landmark and has so much potential
3) SEE REASON #1
To start we arrived in Brighton to escape all of the Jubilee pageantry and enjoy a long weekend by the beach. Upon checking in, which was quick albeit impersonal was fine if you counted that I could barely understand the hostess. Not that she looked like she cared. She looked actually bored with her day. But no matter, into the world's tiniest elevator (lift) that could hold myself, my husband our two tiny bags and one person.
Walk into our room and was deeply underwhelmed. The carpet was from the 1950's and I think that was the last time it was thoroughly cleaned. I rushed over to the window and luckily it opened very wide to let in some fresh air and a look at the pier and seaside. Lucky for the hotel, my husband and I are not fussed about noise because even with the windows closed we would have heard everything happening on the pier. Although we didn't need to unpack we wouldn't have. The wardrobe didn't have any drawers and the dust layers were not something we wanted to lay our clothes on.
Walking into the bathroom which was generally clean was complete with the joke they call a Jacuzzi bath. I'm assuming the water jets worked at some point history but not in 2012. The bed sheets looked like hospital sheeting and we could feel the springs as we sat on it. Luckily we were going out for the evening so we figured the alcohol consumed in the evening would dull our senses enough to have a decent sleep.
The highlight of our stay was our breakfast "buffet". And by highlight I mean the hugest joke of what was a laughingly tragic state of this hotel. The scrambled eggs, clearly made by mixing water and powder sat in a tray still watery so I passed those by for the hard boiled eggs. Lucky for me I was passed caring and had already booked another hotel - The UMI, which I highly recommend - that I broke down in a fit of laughter from the huge feather that came with my hard boiled egg. Talk about fresh dairy. I have nothing to say of the other items other than regular fatty sausages, I don't recall seeing any fruits and I didn't want to stay more than 3 mins after sitting down in the cafeteria style eating area. I won't call it a restaurant because that is an insult to all restaurants... in the history of restaurants.
All this "comfort" for the BLOWN UP PRICE OF £129.00. I paid just £10.00 more for a decent hotel 5 minutes away that had just as nice a view and I didn't feel like I needed a shower after sitting on the bed.

Room Tip: the only tip I an give you is to find a better place to stay.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nsdawgs

london
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We only stayed one night as a spur of the moment thing and booked through Laterooms.com, only wish we'd read the reviews on here first!! We checked in with no problems but on the way up to our "superior" room on the 3rd floor we saw a cigarette butt on the stairs (which was still there the next day when we checked out), a can of lager on the window sill, and the remains of someone's room service meal was on a landing table..... not a good impression. Our room was a reasonable size with clean bed linen and clean bathroom although the sink was cracked and one of the 2 lights weren't working. The rest of the room was just plain dirty. The windows were a disgrace, absolutely filthy with rotting frames. The dressing table surface was sticky to touch (you had to peel the local guide book off it) as were the bedside tables. The wallpaper was scuffed with damp coming through under the window, the carpet had various stains as did one of the chairs. If this was a superior room we dread to think what a standard was like!! Breakfast was included but to be quite frank we didn't risk it and went out instead. Our overall impression is a very tired and badly maintained building. A lot more attention to house keeping wouldn't go a miss.
You couldn't pay us to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple