“Not disabled - friendly” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Glasgow
“Not disabled - friendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Just returned from a week at Royal Albion. If you have any mobility problems at all, this hotel is not for you. On arrival, we were left to drag our luggage up the five steps at the front door, through a crowd of young people, smoking and drinking as there was a wedding on. We could not use the lounge that evening as it was taken over by the wedding party.
We had to ask for assistance to get our cases up to our room. The only lift is tiny, holds five people, without cases, and the queue was horrendous as we were a coach party of about forty people, many disabled. One woman was in an electric buggy which almost took the lift to itself. There is no toilet on the ground floor, which is where the dining room, bar and lounge are situated. The nearest toilet is down a steep flight of stairs to the basement, or the lift, if you could get in, to floor -1, then a lonely walk through a series of corridors. We used to end up going up to our room for the toilet, and more often than not, staying in for the evening. The food was passable, nice breakfast, but buffet service, which was not much good to anyone who had a walking stick, or other mobility aid.
Dinner was self service as well, and much of a sameness about it. Luckily my husband carried the hot soup to our table, and I managed my own plate. I felt sorry for couples where they were both disabled, and there were plenty of them.
Entertainment was one night a week only, another two nights we had bingo and a quiz. The hotel itself was antiquated, we had a huge chunk out of the rim of the bath where someone had tried to prise the bath front off, leavin a dangerously jagged edge.
We had a wonderful view of the pier, and the big wheel, and the location was handy enough for the town centre. That is the only good thing I can say about the Royal Albion.
We will certainly not be back. There was another wedding due the day we were leaving. I feel sorry for the next coach party which were due in.

Room Tip: Even with the lift, there are still five or six stairs between corridors. Corner suites are large an...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Dear Guest,

I would first like to apologise for any delay in responding to your complaint; we take complaints made to the hotel seriously and value the time it takes to make such a complaint.

Your complaint in regards to the hotel has been rectified.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

basically, unless you are in Brighton to have a boozy stag/hen do, I wouldn't bother coming to this hotel. You will only get a good nights sleep if you're blind drink and pass out. We stayed on the 3rd floor (sea front) and we could here the words and base to all the songs from a club below until the early hours. Everything else the other bad reviews say are true. Cold water, not enough tables for breakfast, filthy windows, slow reception, grubby and dated decor. This hotel has much more potential. I struggle to understand why the hotel was fully booked.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Helencheeseface

Operations Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

I have never stayed here before and after reading some of the reviews i was a bit wary. But i needn,t of worried. Check in is 15.00 which i think is a bit late. The receptionist were very nice and friendly and told us all we needed to know without having to ask, well done to them. The luggage porter was also a very nice man who i think was a jack of all trades as he also brought an iron and board up to our room. The bar is lovely and well stocked. The restuarant is very nice and light and airy, and the staff were very nice. I loved the lounge, it was large bright and you could sit and watch the world go by. I didn,t like the toilets or where they were situated, you had to go down stairs, up and down corridors, and round the bend, and also very isolated. We had a meal in the evening which i found more than adequate and enough choices, we had breakfast in the morning, again, enough choices but i think they need to look at a way of keeping the food hot or at least warm enough to enjoy. And i don,t like cold toast. Now to the room, it was big enough, enough space to put things, a nice table and two chairs, enough hangers, (which is a bug bear of mine) it was clean, beds were fine, spotless linen, comfortable bed. Bathroom was a bit dark for my liking, couldn,t figure how to use the shower for about 10 minutes, clean towels and enough of them. The view from our window was of air shafts, air vents and a birds nest, so i just kept the curtains closed which i might add were filthy, old and to be touched as little as possible. I have stayed in many a britannia room and this was NOT the worst and i would stay here again but probably update. I have tried to give an honest review as i know everyone has different experiences and i do know from experience that with the britannia hotels it is a case of hit and miss when you stay with them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chelsea46

Rugby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

bad smell of mould.water leaking in most area's of the hotel and hav'nt the capability to look after its residents to any kind of standard.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel at all cost.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 2 January 2013

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

My mother (73yrs) and I booked a coach trip and stay in Brighton we arrived on Monday afternoon and left on Friday Morning the cost was £209 and included return coach journey, two coach trips, breakfast and evening meal, and 4 night stay in the Albion. The coach parked at the Hotel, The manager Mohammed greeted us on the coach, told us meal times and hotel info, gave us our room keys (a card) and told us our suitcases would be brought to our rooms. I had read these reviews before i arrived and was a little worried. Generally I don't holiday in england and prefer to back pack around Asia, so maybe I'm used to less comfort but to be honest I couldn't fault this hotel, yes it is a bit faded and it is an old building, the main road on the sea front is very busy and the building gets dirty quickly which makes it difficult to keep the large sea view windows clean. (They were cleaned during our stay), the restaurant is a little small, there is only one lift and the toilets are a bit of a trek from the bar but it is a three star hotel not 5 star and you get what you pay for. On the plus side, it is very central, there are beautiful views over the sea, I loved the food tasty, well cooked, plentiful with lots of choice it wasn't haute cuisine but probably the best hotel buffet style food I've had, Vodka and a diet coke was £3.45 which although dearer than my local is average city prices. My mother requested a room on the first floor at the back of the building (she thought it would be too noisy on the front) and thats exactly what we got. We were lucky enough to have the two hottest days of the year and the room was a bit stuffy for my mother, we requested a fan and received it in under ten minutes. The room was large, old but clean, the shower was lovely, although I was told the water was cold before 7am (I was on holiday so I didn't try that.) My mother had the address of some relatives she wished to visit in Brighton but had forgot the phone number. The girls on reception went to great lengths to find it for her. In fact I really cannot agree with any of the complaints against the staff. They are a multicultural bunch but the nicest hotel staff I have ever come across, nothing was too much trouble for them and they were always friendly and polite (I noticed on one of the reviews before i went someone complaining that the socket switches were very dirty and I did notice a very grubby pair of switches in the bar area so I asked a young polish girl to clean them and she did immediately chatting away to me, she then checked all the rest) The night manager Mike was lovely. The lights in the bar fused one evening and he couldn't get them back on so he sent everyone in the lounge and provided a waiter service for drinks. I would definitely stay there again. I don't know what the general prices are, we were on a package so it was very reasonable, I wouldn't pay more than £60 a night but then I wouldn't pay more than that anywhere and I would be happy with a lot less than the Albion had to offer.

Room Tip: Can't really comment as only saw our room, I would have preferred a room on the front , my mothe...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Chrismarog
Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.

Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We were planning to stay in Worthing but couldnt find a hotel that would accomodate us for 7 days. We chose the hotel for only one reason.It is located right infront of the Brighton Pier and just 2 streets away from the shopping areas and The Royal Pavilion.

Breakfast is so so(buffet of eggs,ham,sausage,scrambled and boiled eggs, also with cereals and fruit juices).

I read bad reviews of the hotel about the dirty carpets, hard bed etc and was expecting it. Maybe when u expect the worse, any improvement is better than nothing at all. I found our room quite neat but of course not at par compared to four or five star hotels. It was a double bed which was quite comfortable. We had a small cabinet to hang our clothes in and a dresser. The bathroom has a jacuzzi tub but our faucet was leaking and quite noisy at night.

We were given a room on the top(5th floor). The only elevator in the hotel was quite small .The floor on the 5th floor made a squicking sound when u walk on it.

Parking is not free. You have to park at your own cost normally about 12 pounds per day. But street parking is free from 6pm-9pm.

The room has not airconditioning and no fan so it might be a problem if weather is hot.

Room Tip: Always ask a room facing the seaside or the Brighton Pier which is just across from the hotel. You c...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank betty l

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed on 15 June 2012 for 2 nights. The location is brilliant, right opposite the pier. We booked for 2 nights which included breakfast and an evening meal and a bottle of wine on the day of arrival. We had requested a pop up bed in a double room.

We arrived too late for dinner so the hotel agreed we could have our evening meal and wine on the following evening, and was no problem. Our room had a seaview and a jacuzzi and was split level so our 6 year old daughter had her own space upstairs, in a proper bed. She absolutely loved the quirkyness of the room.

Yes the window needed replacing and wallpaper was coming off the wall under the window but would wallpaper really effect your break away? Obviously some people let the slightest thing upset them.

The weather was very windy when we stayed which meant I could hear the waves and the window was rattling lots during the night. Of course there were groups of hen and stag weekends staying in the hotel and coming in late and I could also hear people in the room next door late at night so it did seem very noisy but I am a light sleeper and my husband and daughter seemed to sleep fine!

The food wasn't brilliant but it was okay. The evening meal was help yourself and there were some dishes ordered by request which I did and my meal came out beautifully presented and didn't take too long. The desserts were very rich and there wasn't anything suitable for my daughter but the waitress didn't hesitate to bring out ice cream for her. There was a wedding party on in the hotel so I should imagine the staff were very busy but that didn't affect our stay.

There is some parking outside which is free overnight and there is a NCP and a car park for the shopping mall not too far away.

The staff were very friendly. We were staying for the London to Brighton bike ride and the staff were helpful in storing my husband's bike and also with taking our luggage to the room and even offering to load our car the following day.

Its not a swanky, modern hotel. Its a hotel that was built in 1800s so you wouldn't really expect clean lines and chrome but I wouldn't have any hesistation in staying here next year.

Room Tip: If you want a duplex family room ask for 518 but bear in mind it is on the sea front and you can hea...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family