“Do Not book into this hotel”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Do Not book into this hotel”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Please do not book this hotel, unfortunately i did not read the reviews prior to booking if I had I would have read a recent review stating especially not to be the unfortunate guest to stay in room 187, which we were. The hotel's nightclub was every bit as horrendousily noisy as stated. Not only did the music not finish until 2.00 A.M. I was then awoken at 5.30 by the staff setting up the room above us for breakfast. You will be half heartily offered a free drink from the bar or a late check out by unsympathetic staff but that's it. The heating wasn't working in our room we had staff coming in and out for three quarters of an hour until we were left with a plug in heater with one of the wheels missing which we had to prop up against the wall. The staff stated I would be lucky if anyone could find me a blanket which they couldn't. The breakfast was cold the room needed decorating and the fact there were no windows in our tiny basement room was not at all pleasurable. If you nave already booked and have no chance to cancel and incur our same noise issues on the night of your stay please ring Brighton Environmental Health who had the weather not been so treacherous assured me afterwards they would have come out to the hotel to arrest any noise pollution they deemed wrong-and believe me it was. Tel no. 01273 293541
P.S. To hotel staff don't bother replying with your insincere apologies you are aware of the situation yet you do nothing to rectify the problem.

2 Thank Robbie J
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Guest,

I can only apologise for the noise disturbance which you had from the night club in the hotel. We do have noise restrictors on our equipment, obviously these did not manage to stop disturbance to you on this night.

I do apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us and you encountered issues with heating. The hotel central heating system is on a timer. I have forwarded your comments to our Maintenance Department in order that they can look into the this matter and address any issues with the control panel in this room.

I am sorry that you did not find the food satisfactory, we rarely get negative comments about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

I hope that you will return to us, where the standards will be as expected.

Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

what a crap hotel the noise from the nightclub was terrible loud no stop music from 10pm till 2am then the noisy clubers leaving over the next hour shouting and screaming
surly this should be take as mis-selling as no information on web site or from staff advising of possible noise in the rooms, we stayed in 252 avoid this room or better still avoid this hotel ,

i am awaiting a response from the hotel but have read others have also complained about this problem to no avail,
i think a full refund is in order !!!!!!!!
my wife suffers from tinnitus so try to avoid loud noises but unable to do so in this room

Room Tip: choose a different hotel all together Brighton is great this hotel is not!!!!!!!!!
1 Thank peter84-10
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Dear Guest,

We respond to all complaints. Please check your inbox for correspondence.

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide all our guests with an exemplary level of customer service. I hope that you will return to us, where the standards will be as expected.

Operations Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

we booked the 5 day break, with national holidays. and after booking then read the reviews, and thought what have we done!!
to be honest, some of the reviews are unfair, you get what you pay for.
yes the hotel needs some money spending on it, the shower was coming away from the wall.. but worked ok, the cold tap came off in my hand, but also still worked.
the room was spacious and warm.
my only complaint was, as they had six coaches in that week, we where allocated a dining time, for some it was 5.15, ours was 6.45, we would'nt dream of going out at home till 8pm.
i was on holiday, and was not being dictated to, when i had my evening meal.
some of the more elderly, got 8pm sitting, and would have been happy with 5.15.
so i suggest,you ask people what sitting they want!!!!!

1 Thank linzxx
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments have been passed to the Maintenance manager in order that the points raised with regards to your room are dealt with as soon as possible.

The allocated dinner times are design to save congestion throughout the evening, and the buffet is constantly refreshed throughout the evening.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your very useful comments.

Operations Manager
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

It is always a shame to see such a lovely building descend into a package tour hot spot. This hotel would once have enjoyed much better times. It is now only a cheap stop-over. Sorely in need of renovation - the rooms are falling apart, mouldy bathroms, drafty decayed seals on the windows, pealing wallpaper and poor qulaity linnen and towels.

Breakfast - lets not go there. To be avoided. CErials and toast at best. I would avoid anything that comes from teh kitchen.

Room Tip: Try the roms on teh top levels - at least you will have a view - but the windows are unlikely to be...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank steven_wilkinson
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments have been passed to Maintenance and Housekeeping managers in order that the points raised with regards to your room are dealt with as soon as possible.

I am sorry that you did not find the food satisfactory, we rarely get complaints about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Leicestershire
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Visited for 1 night with my daughter in January 2013.

After reading reviews on here I was a little sceptical about what we would find but approached it with an open mind.

It took around 15 minutes to check-in with no 'sorry to keep you waiting'.

Our twin room was awful. Sea view but windows were extremely dirty. Curtains didnt meet totally. Certainly no double glazing so outside noise is there constantly.

Our door had an inch gap along the bottom so any noise in the corridor could be heard very clearly. We could hear every footstep and creaky floorboard from the room above.

The room was in general need of a total refurbishment with wallpaper missing from some walls, rotten woodwork, a lack of light in the room and a bathroom that has definitely seen better days. The tiles around the shower were cracked and broken and the complete wall had a crack from floor to ceiling.

Breakfast was not much better with cold toast on a help yourself tray and a cooked breakfast that was very off putting with the scrambled egg swimming in water.

Although we only paid £35 for this room I would not return to this hotel and think a travel lodge would have been better value.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chezmas
Dear Guest,

I have also passed your comments to our Front of House Manager in order that reception staff are visible. Ensuring that guests are not left waiting for long periods to check-in. I have asked that the number of staff on duty be monitored closely especially at times, especially when we are expecting higher volumes of arriving guests.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Awful hotel - and awful customer service. Stayed December 2012 and hallways smelt damp with wallpaper peeling from walls. Toilet didn’t flush, reported fault but no one came.

Hotel has major health and safety issues - I would advise anyone thinking of booking to not bother look at a different hotel in the area as you will only be disappointed.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SLB403
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Dear Guest,

In December here at the Royal Albion Hotel, We had a major leak, consequently, some floors and walls became moist. However the leak has now been rectified and remedial action has been taken to bring the hotel back to a state of good repair.

I sincerely apologise for any discomfort and disappointment the leak must have caused you. Please be assured, this is not the normal standard of service.

I hope that you choose Royal Albion on your next visit to Brighton, where the standards will be as expected.

Yours Sincerely

Nick Wright
Operations Manager
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Royal Albion Hotel on Saturday 12th January 2013. When we returned to our room shortly after 10pm it appeared we were now in the middle of a nightclub. The hotel's nightclub was directly above our room and the music was so loud that the room was actually vibrating. We were not told anything about this when we checked in and when we called reception from our room we were informed that the hotel was fully booked and therefore could not change rooms and that the club was open until 2am. They authorised us a late check out for free however this turned out to be useless as at 8am it sounded like we had a herd of elephants above us which we later found out was the breakfast rush as extra tables were located in the bar again directly above our room. So with less than 6 hours sleep you can guess that we were not best pleased. I complained on check out and was asked to email the manager - I did so and they have offered us 25% off our next stay. I can safely say that we will not be staying there again!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 187 or anywhere near that room
2 Thank Vanessa E
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear Guest,

The restaurant is our largest room in the hotel. We do spread the breakfast time over 3 hours (7am-10am) to give our guests the opportunity to eat at times that suit them. As is often the case, guests will arrive for breakfast at around the same time, hence it gets slightly overcrowded. I am sorry if people queuing for breakfast caused you a disturbance during your stay.