“DON'T STAY EVEN IF YOU WANT CHEAP”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“DON'T STAY EVEN IF YOU WANT CHEAP”
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

The reviews say it all – look at the terrible score. This is not without good reason.

This hotel is pretty awful even for a mid-priced seafront hotel. Don’t go there if you want romance or seaside charm, comfort at a budget or somewhere you can feel safe. If all you want is a bed it might be ok. Having said that, if you want to sleep in the bed, probably not a good idea as they have a number of rooms placed above / next to / within close enough distance to the nightclub (which is part of the hotel) that you can hear the DJ asking the crowd if they “want to hear some more” and bass thumping until 2pm. Lovely. I was on a hen do and 4 of our rooms suffered from this problem. We were not on the same corridor either.

You will get charged if you check out late, so prepare to go down to breakfast with enough time to queue for at least half an hour like we did. Don’t hold your breath on the food. It’s pretty awful.

The hotel has smoking floors, which you will be put in unless you request otherwise, especially if you’re in a group. The hotel stinks of smoke in these places even if you’re not a smoker.

Lastly be very careful with your belongings, if you leave something in the room you will not get it back. You won't get much help. The senior staff will just copy and paste standard answers to your enquiries like they do in replies to complaints below.

• Stayed February 2013
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I can only apologise for the noise disturbance which you had from the night club in the hotel. We do have noise restrictors on our equipment, obviously these did not manage to stop disturbance to you on this night.

We do have designated smoking rooms, these are rooms 170-183 and the entire second floor.
I do apologise if you were not told of this upon your arrival at the hotel.

Thankyou for taking the time to post your comments on your experience here.

I do hope that you will return to us in the future where the standards will be as expected.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

If you sit in the big lounge and get fed up of looking at the pier and sea, you can always watch the mice running around under the seats/chairs & tables! yes they have vermin and dont seem
concerned about it. When the fire alarm goes off, as it did when we were there, just look to see if the staff are panicking! if not its a fair assumption its ok, as they dont tell you whether or not that it
is. Would have loved to it if Basil Fawlty was there!

Room Tip: Top floor quiet if ok with wind/sea noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I would first like to apologise for any delay in responding to your complaint; we take complaints made to the hotel seriously and value the time it takes to make such a complaint.

Your complaint in regards to the hotel has been rectified.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Yours sincerely,

Operations Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Stayed for a hen weekend. Rooms all on the same floor as requested but smoking rooms so even the air felt dirty! Not enough towels for twin room. Breakfast que too long and food only edible if still drunk from the night before!

Room Tip: Stay clear of the SMOKING rooms!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

The restaurant is our largest room in the hotel. We do spread the breakfast time over 3 hours (7am-10am) to give our guests the opportunity to eat at times that suit them. As is often the case, guests will arrive for breakfast at around the same time, hence it gets slightly overcrowded.

I am sorry that you did not find the food satisfactory, we rarely get complaints about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

The second floor are our designated smoking rooms. I do apologise if you were not told this upon check in.

London, United Kingdom

Where do I begin?
The staff are very rude, particularly the operations manager and a duty manager I spoke to (who shall remain nameless), and are clearly lacking in any kind of customer service skills. Although I must say this is directed at the senior staff as opposed to the receptionist/bar staff who were not overly helpful but not offensive either. They were unable to a) listen b) answer my query c) be polite to me. Instead they talked over me and made me feel embarrassed to be raising a query.
The hotel reeked of smoke due to the allocated smoking rooms. The rancid smell of stale smoke seemed to encompass the entire hotel.
The queue for breakfast was long (30 mins plus) and most definitely NOT worth the wait. Something I would not expect from a hotel of this size, even if Sunday mornings are a "busy time".
The decor and facilities in the hotel were shabby, scruffy, and in dire need of updating and refurbishment. The carpets were ripped, the walls were scuffed and marked, the bathrooms were appalling (worse than a budget, chain hotel) and the soft furnishings extremely dated. The cleaning cupboards were left open with the equipment on display and a crude "illustration" on one of the cupboard doors.
The hotel was extremely noisy due to a night club situated within the hotel and adjacent to the hotel. We were not warned of this in advance and consequently did not get much sleep.
On a more positive note, the location of the hotel was good.
Only stay here if you are willing to sacrifice service and comfort for location and a cheap rate.

Room Tip: Don't have a room next to the nightclub outside or above the hotels own nightclub.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

The second floor are our designated smoking rooms. I do apologise if you were placed here and not told. I have spoken to the reception staff and asked that guests be informed of the smoking procedure.

Please be assured that we currently are renovating the hotel bedrooms.

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I've stayed here a number of times over the last 3 years when down in Brighton for work, as the location is great, right by the pier and public transport connections.

The hotel is old so but has been renovated. Public areas are okay, certainly less tired than they used to. The rooms themselves are comfortable although single rooms are tiny. I asked for a quiet room and it was quiet though on the first floor, at leasr until 5,30am when the refuse collection arrived.

The big problem with this cheap and cheerful hotel is that it is overrun with senior coach trippers which overwhlems the hotel. In the evening it feels as if you're in a retirement home. Breakfast though was the real problem. It didn't open until 7am (not great for business anyway) and when I went down there were well over 100 coachtrippers already queueing. This meant that there was a 25minute wait to even get into the restaurant and then I had to my plate of food out into the bar to be able to actually eat. Waiting and trying to get food was unpleasant with the coachtrippers pushing and shoving their way rudely around. Not a great end to any stay.

While in the (very long) queue I heard a number of people saying how bad the noise had been all night as there's a night club right by one side of the hotel. Fortunately I've not had a room there but it is the city centre so it's never going to be quiet.

I'd stay here again but would never pay more than £40/night - for more than this you could get a much nicer boutique hotel in Kemptown.

Room Tip: Ask for either seaview (£10supp) or to be facing the Steine and on a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank kiangarin
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at the royal albion hotel due to our more elderly guests.
However we are a non discriminatory company and are in no way ageist.
We have many guests from all ages. We do advertise as a family friendly hotel. Indicating we welcome people of all ages.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We had seen a lot of negative reviews about this hotel, but it is in a fantastic location, close to everything you would want to see in Brighton.

The staff are friendly and helpful. We had booked a double room with breakfast and dinner for two nights. We arrived early and were able to check in, upgraded at no extra charge to larger room, with a sea view and a jacuzzi (unfortunately this was out of order!). The room was warm (if anything a little too warm) clean and comfortable, the food was good with a choice each evening.

Would definitely recommend this hotel for its location and price.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the top floor when it was booked.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dicdandoo
Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.

Yours sincerely,

New Forest, UK
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Fantastic location. Right in the middle by the pier.
Not as great as outside suggests. I have stayed here 3 times now.
I have never had a room that has an outside view at all. All my rooms have overlooked an internal gap on the insides of the building.

One room was located near a noisy (kitchen?) extractor thing in this internal "void". The airconditioning thing in my room didnt work. So at one point I had to prop the window open. Yes prop because the sash cords did not work so i had to use the cupsto hold the window open that overlooked onto the internal void.

In the morning the smell from the breakfast cooking was bad.
Breakfast is full "English" but taste is a bit yuk.

I have used this hotel once this year and once last year. *both* times I checked in the people in front of me had used laterooms to book the hotel with. Both times the hotel could find no record of the booking (I used the company website). The hotel just said to the customers "you have to sort it out with laterooms" and then served me next in line.

At rush hour to check in with a line of about 10-12 people all waiting, they only had one person on reception checking in. Come on Royal Albion...that is not great. I had to wait about 15-20 minutes on both times.

Summary great location, but I hate rooms with no windows looking outside and that is all I have had.

Next time I will look to see if there is a better hotel if the price is reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mike F
Dear Guest,

Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning within the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not find the 'smell' of our food satisfactory, we rarely get complaints about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

I have also passed on your comments to our Front of House Manager in order that reception staff are visible. Ensuring that guests are not left waiting for long periods to check-in. I have asked that the number of staff on duty be monitored closely especially at times, especially when we are expecting higher volumes of arriving guests.

Operations Manager.