“pleasant surprise”

Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

me and my partner was pleasantly surprised after we had read some reviews ( which wasnt good ) we really didn't know what to expect but we was happy with the facilities and really enjoyed our stay and we are looking to return later in the year but we have to say that the decor could do with much needed modernising and it would benefit from a larger breakfast buffett area .

3 Thank liz t
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.

Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Had been a bit concerned about going to this hotel after reading other reviews. But I wanted inexpensive and that is what I got - £29 a night. For that price it was fine. The room was clean, which is the most important; and warm, too warm at nights. Yes, it is shabby but it gets the customers who don't want to/can't afford to pay a lot, and knows its market. If done up prices would escalate, specially given its prime position, and at the moment it is handy for many. I think management needs a bit of a kick. The young staff were willing but seemed a bit sloppy. Training? And the public areas need a better eye kept on them - cigarette butt left squashed on stair carpet for most of the day and tables in the lounge sticky. It's a kind of pile 'em high, sell them cheap place - and on that level it works.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rowanLondon

Operations Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I book a hotel in advanced so not to be disappointed and what i have got is a basement room underneath the club next to the hotel. They gave me another room in the end but still its not an excuse especially an one of the busiest weekends

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I can only apologise for the noise disturbance which you had from the night club in the hotel. We do have noise restrictors on our equipment, obviously these did not manage to stop disturbance to you on this night.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your very useful comments.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Booked a single room for £99 for 3 nights with breakfast.
When I checked in they said breakfast not included in the price I paid. Seems Expedia paid them £74 and charged me £99.
I showed my invoice which clearly stated breakfast included. The man on reception put a note on the system as was worried they would try and charge me. So make sure you have your invoice just incase.
I found the staff all fairly friendly.

They had ran out of singles so luckily I got a double Room 321. The room was nice enough and very clean.
I had 2 windows but they looked out onto a side wall which was a bit depressing.
I did end up extending my stay an extra night and booked this again through expedia for £32 'with breakfast' as cheaper than hotel direct.

The second room I had also a double 'room 422' I really did not like much. It was directly above previous room but with only one window and felt quite dark and very depressing. Also there was a real musty smell to the room that did not go even with airing.
room a bit smaller and just did not feel as nice. Informed reception on check out no remote in the room for tv.

Onto breakfast. I am not too fussy but have to say the breakfast is VERY poor quality. First day there was also no pastries and none were replaced even tho I was in ther for over half and hour.

I have to say most of the food felt microwaved. Scambled egg is my favourtite but most hotels like this just have that rubbery watery stuff. No fried eggs like other britannia hotels. Shame there were no mushrooms either. I am just being a bit picky, but that is because the overall breakfast on all 4 days just was very poor. Not sure anyone would want to pay £10 for breakfast here!
Another problem was seating. Was very busy and hard to find a table. Some of the time had to eat standing up.

Overall I would consider staying at this hotel again if it was cheap. Location is fantastic and I did not have any issues with noise myself.
Just think the hotel need to sort out the quality of the breakfast. Sure some people I heard saying it was lovely, and other's it was horrible.
Other Britannia hotels I have stayed in are far better at breakfast tho.

Room Tip: check other sites for good deals.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

The restaurant is our largest room in the hotel. We do spread the breakfast time over 3 hours (7am-10am) to give our guests the opportunity to eat at times that suit them. As is often the case, guests will arrive for breakfast at around the same time, hence it gets slightly overcrowded.

Our restaurant is a self-service buffet for all meals; this can help service to progress smoothly and fairly quickly.
Fried eggs are available but on request, there are signs around the Restaurant to inform guests of this service.

Nick Wright
swindon england
Reviewed 16 February 2013

this hotel is in need of a major refit, the carpet was thread-bare in the bedroom the furniture inside the bedroom was worst than what can be found at he local tip.
The only positive was its location.
Thank God we only had one night stay,before flying out the next day.

Dear Guest,

I apologise for the state of disrepair your room was in.
Please be assured that we currently have contractors in, Decorating the rooms.

I offer my sincere apologies if this caused you any discomfort during your stay.

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide all our guests with an exemplary level of customer service.
I am deeply saddened we did not provide you with this same level of service during your stay.

I do hope that you will return to us in the future where the standards will be as expected.

Yoursv Sincerely

Megan-Louise Bathie
Hotel Administrator
hull
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The hotel is in a good location the staff are very freindly and the 9 of us in our group all thuought the food was great, my husband and I had trouble with our toilet flushing which was sorted on request, think it must depend on where your room is as we had no trouble sleeping and our room was lovely and warm throughout our stay,ok the room we was in could have done with a decorate but it was clean and for what we paid we thought it was good.There was a problem with the heating in the bar area on our last night , so we went and put a sweater on till it was sorted instead of being nasty to the bar staff like some people after all it was one of the coldest nights seen in Brighton for a long time according to some locals.Enjoyed our stay and would go back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank carol c
Dear Guest,

Unfortunately due to the age of the building we do sometimes have problems with heating; however if you had reported the problem to reception at the time they do have portable heaters to offer in these circumstances.

Other than the heating issue, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the royal albion and hope you choose us during your next visit to brighton.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel last weekend (8th to 11th Feb), and we had a very enjoyable stay the room was warm, quiet and clean. We had no problems queuing for breakfast and the food was good. We never heard any music from the disco.

1 Thank Jane F