“needs a bit of tlc”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 18 February 2013

just had a great weekend in brighton, never stayed at the royal albion before, so was a bit worried with what people were saying on here.
we booked back in november and asked when booking for a high floor room. we got just that, 5th floor.on first impression everything looked really nice, but on closer inspection, as you do. we began to discoverer things.
carpet missing under the bed, the electical sockets were a bit loose on the walls. the main thing for me was there was no air con, tho its in the room. so had to have the windows open during the day, to much traffic noice for the night tho. the net curtains were filthy, what were white are now grey and black along the bottom. ( i must say at this point the house keeping staff were great, the rooms were spotless).
in the bathroom the frame for the shower curtain was hanging away from the roof, other than that the bathroom was good.
with breakfast, well that was just great. eat as much as you like to fill you up for the day.

over all this hotel is ok, tho it could do with a fair bit a maintainance all over.
would i stay there again? yes i think i would as its within a few minutes walk of most places of interest in brighton.

Room Tip: ask for high floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.
I will however pass your comments to Maintenance and Housekeeping managers in order that the points raised with regards to your room are dealt with as soon as possible.

Operations Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,073)

Reviewed 18 February 2013

This is probably a strange thing for people to understand if you are a non-smoker,I booked a cheap deal break at this hotel,not knowing what sort of room i get etc,looking forward to having a cigerette on a freezing cold doorstep,on entering to room i noticed an ashtay on the desk,so i went to reception to ask why it was there,she replied the whole of our 2nd floor has smoking rooms.I would have paid a surcharge to be able to do this.so thats for all you smokers out there.Hotel its self could do with a bit of a makeover,but is an old building,Staff need to be friendly,but all in all didnt care cos i had an ashtray.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank san60

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Reviewing this in loved up mode may make all the difference, but reading the other comments, such as no mushrooms are hardly worth a terrible rating! (THE HORROR! No mushrooms! There was plenty more to choose from...)
This hotel has many fantastic features which outweigh the slightly old fashioned decor...thumbs up to the Vegasy buffet style breakfast, beautiful lounges and wide range of amenities...
Bearing in mind that rooms in this hotel are only £40 a night (or less i see) there's no room for complaint.

We checked in late a night and were given a superior room in the eaves of the hotel, no sea view but we didn't pay for one so we didn't mind what was out the window! The room was spacious and warm, comfy arm chairs, lovely big cleam bathroom...the carpets could do with replacing but they were clean and nice to walk on...we were happy to find the hotel bar was still open (and a very reasonable price for a pint)...sitting in the regency style lounge, overlooking the pier and the sea felt pretty blissful after a 4 hour journey...
Breakfast was great - free breakfast, it was busy but the staff handled it well, there was no real wait time...it was perfectly suited to busy travellers wanting to get out and seize the day, portions unlimited - great choice of cereals, breads, teas and coffee as well the fried stuff...in another review somebody has mentioned microwaves, i'd love to see the microwave that made these gargantiun piles of food! We were left feeling satisfied, especially on the last day where we enjoyed our coffee in the lounge overlooking the sea...
We noticed there was an evening buffet as well which we didn't have time to try but at £9.95 for all you can eat definitely seems re-visiting! There was the sound of a club a couple of nights, but this is an old hotel, not a modern sound proofed box...Brighton is a party town, perhaps a lowering of the expectations is required for £20 per person per night! The hotel made this one of our favourite trips to Brighton.
We would be happy to stay here again and take the rents no less :)

3  Thank BlueGrumpyBear

Dear Guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

me and my partner was pleasantly surprised after we had read some reviews ( which wasnt good ) we really didn't know what to expect but we was happy with the facilities and really enjoyed our stay and we are looking to return later in the year but we have to say that the decor could do with much needed modernising and it would benefit from a larger breakfast buffett area .

3  Thank liz t

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Had been a bit concerned about going to this hotel after reading other reviews. But I wanted inexpensive and that is what I got - £29 a night. For that price it was fine. The room was clean, which is the most important; and warm, too warm at nights. Yes, it is shabby but it gets the customers who don't want to/can't afford to pay a lot, and knows its market. If done up prices would escalate, specially given its prime position, and at the moment it is handy for many. I think management needs a bit of a kick. The young staff were willing but seemed a bit sloppy. Training? And the public areas need a better eye kept on them - cigarette butt left squashed on stair carpet for most of the day and tables in the lounge sticky. It's a kind of pile 'em high, sell them cheap place - and on that level it works.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rowanLondon

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I book a hotel in advanced so not to be disappointed and what i have got is a basement room underneath the club next to the hotel. They gave me another room in the end but still its not an excuse especially an one of the busiest weekends

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Guest,

I can only apologise for the noise disturbance which you had from the night club in the hotel. We do have noise restrictors on our equipment, obviously these did not manage to stop disturbance to you on this night.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your very useful comments.

Yours Sincerely

Operations Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Booked a single room for £99 for 3 nights with breakfast.
When I checked in they said breakfast not included in the price I paid. Seems Expedia paid them £74 and charged me £99.
I showed my invoice which clearly stated breakfast included. The man on reception put a note on the system as was worried they would try and charge me. So make sure you have your invoice just incase.
I found the staff all fairly friendly.

They had ran out of singles so luckily I got a double Room 321. The room was nice enough and very clean.
I had 2 windows but they looked out onto a side wall which was a bit depressing.
I did end up extending my stay an extra night and booked this again through expedia for £32 'with breakfast' as cheaper than hotel direct.

The second room I had also a double 'room 422' I really did not like much. It was directly above previous room but with only one window and felt quite dark and very depressing. Also there was a real musty smell to the room that did not go even with airing.
room a bit smaller and just did not feel as nice. Informed reception on check out no remote in the room for tv.

Onto breakfast. I am not too fussy but have to say the breakfast is VERY poor quality. First day there was also no pastries and none were replaced even tho I was in ther for over half and hour.

I have to say most of the food felt microwaved. Scambled egg is my favourtite but most hotels like this just have that rubbery watery stuff. No fried eggs like other britannia hotels. Shame there were no mushrooms either. I am just being a bit picky, but that is because the overall breakfast on all 4 days just was very poor. Not sure anyone would want to pay £10 for breakfast here!
Another problem was seating. Was very busy and hard to find a table. Some of the time had to eat standing up.

Overall I would consider staying at this hotel again if it was cheap. Location is fantastic and I did not have any issues with noise myself.
Just think the hotel need to sort out the quality of the breakfast. Sure some people I heard saying it was lovely, and other's it was horrible.
Other Britannia hotels I have stayed in are far better at breakfast tho.

Room Tip: check other sites for good deals.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

The restaurant is our largest room in the hotel. We do spread the breakfast time over 3 hours (7am-10am) to give our guests the opportunity to eat at times that suit them. As is often the case, guests will arrive for breakfast at around the same time, hence it gets slightly overcrowded.

Our restaurant is a self-service buffet for all meals; this can help service to progress smoothly and fairly quickly.
Fried eggs are available but on request, there are signs around the Restaurant to inform guests of this service.

Yours Sincerely