“Unsafe and unsanitary”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I booked a room through groupon expecting that they had done some research that the hotel was at least safe to stay in. When I got to my room I found that the celling outside my room had collapsed on the floor and that the room was freezing cold, when I called to inform them they sent up maintenance wearing gloves and a mask to clean up the mess (which was not done very well). I went down and asked if I could pay to change rooms, to be told there were none left, the ladies at the front were very rude and didn't care that a guest was unhappy. After I went back to the room I inspected to find in the bathroom a dirty toilet, hole in the door and the radiator with frayed wires and the power fixed with duck tape. I left for the evening and did not take them up on dinner I had paid for seen as I didn't want to inspect the kitchen. When I returned I laid on the bed and got bitten on the leg, by what I believe was either a bed bug or a flea. I packed up my stuff at 10:30 pm and went to talk to the front desk about a refund, they refused to give it and just offered me another room (which earlier they had said they didn't have one). I left feeling very distraught that I had travelled here all the was from the USA to find that a Brighton hotel was such a disappointment !!! I will not be back !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ibelieveinangel
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Madam,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

I will be talking to my reception staff after reading your comments about their lack of customer service. As a company this is not something which we see as acceptable.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in future to enjoy what I hope can be a more pleasant stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,045)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly n also helpful...it has a very nice view of the sea n we can view the brighton pier from our room...comes with english breakfast in the morning...and the best part is we can just have a slow walk to places nearby...even the hotel is old but i had a good time staying there....

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our product and service, and it looks like we came up trumps on both aspects for your stay.

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night, I got a cheap deal through Groupon (tight a##e)which included dinner, bed and breakfast with a bottle of wine on arrival, after booking I read the reviews on here and obviously it sounds awful,we just made a joke of it and really wasn't expecting anything special,it is looking tired and does need a huge amount of money spent on it.The food will never win awards but it's edible and we have both managed to keep it down so there's a plus right there..I wouldn't rush back but if you can get a cheap deal on groupon and don't expect the Savoy it'll be ok for a night.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments about your recent stay at The Royal Albion.

I am pleased to hear your room was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the food.

I would be delighted to welcome you back for a visit in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Before writing this review I was just slightly undecided.....Do I rate it "VERY GOOD"?, or do I rate it "EXCELLENT"?..........After full consideration I have decided that it well deserves the "EXCELLENT" rating.

The location is perfect, it is a lovely old building (built 1826), and the staff are really friendly, helpful, and efficient...........absolutely nothing is too much trouble for them.

Our room was comfortable and well equipped, the furnishings were a little reminiscent of the regency period with wooden (probably oak) wardrobe, dressing table with enormous mirror, bedside cabinets and headboard (although the bed itself was modern and very comfortable). there was an efficient air-conditioning system and the en-suite bathroom included an air-spa (jacuzzi style) bath.

There is a large and very comfortable lounge adjacent to a well stocked (and reasonably priced) bar. The restaurant is help-yourself buffet style and at first glance looks a bit school-dinnerish or works-canteenish.....do not be put off, on closer inspection there is a good range of well edible nosh!.....this is not the Michelin** standard (neither are the prices) but just well cooked and tasty food. For the evening dinner there was a choice of six different main courses including beef, fish, chicken, and a good vegetarian option. The breakfast had a choice of virtually everything and if required the chef would fry or poach eggs exactly to your requirements!

Several previous reviews have mentioned the number of oldsters getting cheaper prices by arriving as part of a large coach party.....this is a fact of life!! Put yourself into the position of running an hotel --- if you are lucky enough to own an establishment with an all-year-round tourist or business trade (eg: London) you have no problems, BUT if you are situated in a coastal area you are fine in the relatively short tourist season and for the off-season have to make a choice between laying off staff (to further drain the economy in state benefits) or to reduce your % margin, keep your staff in employment, and keep the place ticking over. I know which I would choose!!

The only negative point I would make is the car parking situation --- there are no cheap parking spaces in the area. There is a very limited number of spaces nearby which are free between 6.00pm and 9.00am..............I was lucky - it cost £6.00 to park from about 3.00pm until about 5.45 when I managed to secure the last of the free overnight spaces.

To conclude I would just like to express our thanks to the lovely team at the Royal Albion and to say to all the members of the TripAdvisor community that I hope you will ignore the negative reviews and give it a try.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank InnesDorchester

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review regarding your recent stay. We welcome all comments from guests regarding their stay, and yours showcases the kind of service we provide to the vast majority of our customers. . It is always good to hear the teams hard work has paid off, your comments will be passed onto the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Manager and reception staff were rude and unhelpful, Their attitude came across as they were doing us a favour, Do not value your custom.
Beautiful building but needs a lot of attention. Great location. Rooms small and in need of refurbishment, ripped curtains coming off their track, cracked bathroom tiles, stained carpet etc. Bedding seemed clean but you felt uncomfortable.

2  Thank jack r

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

I will be talking to my reception and bar staff after reading your comments about their lack of customer service. As a company this is not something which we see as acceptable.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

- Staff were very friendly, bubbly and helpful
- The rooms very hot and stuffy even with windows open (it was cold outside)
- Food very basic, buffet style. not overly impressed..
- Its in an excellent location by the pier
- The decor certainly needs updating!

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

My maintenance staff try to deal with all issues as soon as they are informed of them. I am sorry to hear you had such issues in your bedroom. It seems this room is not up to our usual standard.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We booked a three-day stay at this hotel through Booking.com, arriving at 9 a.m. on an early flight via Gatwick Airport, to discover that we would not be able to book into our room until 3 p.m., although the hotel has a policy that rooms must be vacated by 10 a.m. on departure.

We booked a Superior Double Room with sea view and, on finally booking-in, found the room to be very average and quite small. Also the decor was very tired with peeling paint on the window surrounds and the bathroom, although clean, to be both just about adequate. The hand towels were tiny, about the size of a dish cloth, and the bath towels were about the size of a normal hand-towel.

The old cathode-ray TV (not seen one of those in a hotel for years) wasn't working the first night. I pointed this out at the reception desk the following morning and this was fixed. The bed was small, a 4'6" double, hard and not very comfortable. Pillows were also hard, polyester filled, with only two provided, and no additional available, so reading in bed is not recommended.

If this was a 2-star hotel charging average prices it would have been OK. At least what we actually got would have met expectations. However the Royal Albion is rated 3-star, but the prices are about average for a 4-star price bracket. 3 nights cost £350, which is almost what I paid for 3 nights in a London Novotel, which is a genuine 4-star hotel, and at the Novotel I also got breakfast included.

Breakfast was not included in this booking.

All-in-all, we were very disappointed with the Royal Albion and would not consider staying there again, despite its being in an ideal location for Brighton, being located right on the sea-front and really handy for The Laines, Pier, Brighton Centre and restaurants.

Britannia Hotels who own the Royal Albion need to spend time time and love and affection on upgrading and restoring this rather sad and tired hotel, which otherwise has a lot going for it. Must comment, though, that the staff were great and very friendly, which helped to make up a lot for a building which has obviously seen much better days.

1  Thank HermanMitt

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.