“The only good thing is the location” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“The only good thing is the location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed at the Royal Albion Hotel for one night as my boyfriend and I were going to a gig down the road. We paid £100 to stay here for one night, room only basis.

Upon arrival it looked ok... staff friendly, and quick speedy check in. We were staying with another couple, one of whom was on crutches. Our rooms were down a flight of stairs from the reception, we had to go through corridors of a labyrinth to find our rooms, which included 2 flights of stairs going up??? wierd! and not at all helpful for my friend on crutches. It honestly took her nearly 10 minutes to get there. On the way out I got lost trying to find reception and ended up in a banquet room .... and a staff only area.

On arrival to our room, only the main light worked. The lamps were unplugged??? and when I did plug them in, one of the bulbs had gone. The bathroom above mirror light also didn't work, nor did the light near the door. I reported this to reception, and a man swiftly arrived but only fixed the table lamps.

The bed was small, hard and thin pillows. I eventually found 2 further pillows in the wardrobe. The furniture, was dusty and dirty, and was probably only nice 15 years ago, and the curtains were dirty and the walls had lots of marks all over them. The carpet had also seen better days, and it looked liked no one had hoovered in the corners for an age.

The bathroom was grubby, and black gunk in the corners of the bath. The shower was actually pretty hot and powerful but the bath was so narrow, the shower curtain stuck to my bum.

During the night the room became so hot, I had to open the window. Outside the clubs were kicking out and I did get to enjoy the sounds of fights and vomit at 3am.

Check was at 10am, which was really early for a Sunday morning. No one on the desk asked us if we enjoyed our stay.

I wouldn't come back to stay here. It was awful.

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank womblefruit
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We booked this hotel through an extremely cheap Groupon deal including dinner, bottle of wine and breakfast before we read the reviews, so expected Faulty Towers, but were pleasantly surprised. The sea view was amazing (worth the 10.00 upgrade!) and the staff were friendly. The hotel has a nice period real anddoes needs updating, but it was clean and comfortable (great power shower) and done its job for a short stay. We chose to eat out in the evening (in one of the restaurants just a few minutes walk away in The Laines) as the menu looked rather bland, but the bottle of wine was welcomed via a voucher handed in at the bar and there was a good choice for breakfast in the morning. All in all we had a lovely weekend in Brighton and the hotel served as a good base for our trip.

Room Tip: Room 434 has a fabulous view of the sea and pier and well worth the upgrade
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments about your recent stay at The Royal Albion.

I am pleased to hear your room was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the food.

I would be delighted to welcome you back for a visit in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We have just returned from our second visit to the Albion and had a brilliant time. It is true what other reviews say, it can do with a bit of refurbishment as it is getting run down in places. However, the location, food and service is brilliant. Right next to the pier, with the lanes just a few steps away it is perfect for all the family. It was also perfect to enjoy the nightlife that Brighton has to offer as it is close to a range of clubs and bars, although not too close that you feel on on top of them. The lounge could do with being re-decorated and perhaps having a bit more entertainment. We were there for a weekend and did not see any form of entertainment then on our way out saw a poster showing all the entertainment they have on during the week - yes, people would most probably be going out at the weekend but for people, like my grandparents who were with us, that like to stay in the hotel - especially when it's cold out - it would be nice to have something planned for them. Overall, we are pleased we came back here as, for a short break, it is reasonable especially for the value for money. Rooms could do with a little more TLC but they do their job and some are beautiful with bay windows looking out to the sea, but this is a real luck of the draw.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side facing the sea as the other side faces the main road and can get rathe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our product and service, and it looks like we came up trumps on both aspects for your stay.

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed in a see view room on a Saturday night and felt I was in the middle of a club as my room was just above a pub/club what is providing music till 3am so no sleep guaranted! Not even a word mentioned from the Reception about it. Worst night in a hotel. Never go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John B
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Royal Albion Hotel.

As a city centre hotel we are in the heart of Brighton’s night life. We have rooms which are on street level and I can appreciate that disturbance would have been caused by the neighbouring bus station and the public.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

oxfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Having trained in the industry,i have to say this deserves an award for the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.Like a fellow reviewer I purchased a Groupon deal,even so you do expect a certain standard.Staff where very friendly,l think they seemed embarrassed,food was disgusting,with the right person cooking it could have been acceptable,food wastage must be terrible.No heat lamps under hot food,lamps over pre cooked toast,which think was probably toasted at 6am,tea and coffee station was something else,talk about stewed coffee!!!Dinner is all you can eat buffet£9.95,what a joke .If you are not on a coach trip you have to call and book a table after 4pm ,we had booked for 2nightsDDB,after first nights dinner if you can call it that,we asked for a refund for second nights dinner,no way could we cope with another dose of dreadful over cooked cold food.This proved to be for the best,4 coach trips had arrived and individual guests could not book till after 8pm.The only thing this place has going for it is the location.We paid for upgrade room,god knows what a standard room is like,travellodge is 100% better.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank spurrett814291
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

I can only apologise that the food was not of a satisfactory standard. We serve the food in our largest room in the hotel and offer people a choice of a Full English Breakfast, or for dinner a choice of starters, mains and desserts. The majority of our customers are very happy with this choice.

Kind Regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I booked a room through groupon expecting that they had done some research that the hotel was at least safe to stay in. When I got to my room I found that the celling outside my room had collapsed on the floor and that the room was freezing cold, when I called to inform them they sent up maintenance wearing gloves and a mask to clean up the mess (which was not done very well). I went down and asked if I could pay to change rooms, to be told there were none left, the ladies at the front were very rude and didn't care that a guest was unhappy. After I went back to the room I inspected to find in the bathroom a dirty toilet, hole in the door and the radiator with frayed wires and the power fixed with duck tape. I left for the evening and did not take them up on dinner I had paid for seen as I didn't want to inspect the kitchen. When I returned I laid on the bed and got bitten on the leg, by what I believe was either a bed bug or a flea. I packed up my stuff at 10:30 pm and went to talk to the front desk about a refund, they refused to give it and just offered me another room (which earlier they had said they didn't have one). I left feeling very distraught that I had travelled here all the was from the USA to find that a Brighton hotel was such a disappointment !!! I will not be back !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ibelieveinangel
Dear Madam,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

I will be talking to my reception staff after reading your comments about their lack of customer service. As a company this is not something which we see as acceptable.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in future to enjoy what I hope can be a more pleasant stay.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff was very friendly n also helpful...it has a very nice view of the sea n we can view the brighton pier from our room...comes with english breakfast in the morning...and the best part is we can just have a slow walk to places nearby...even the hotel is old but i had a good time staying there....

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.