“A good nights sleep was had but rooms in need of modernising”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A good nights sleep was had but rooms in need of modernising”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed for one night to attend a wedding reception. Found the hotel to be in a perfect location and couldn't ask for better. Didn't realise when booking there is no parking but I understand that to be the case with most hotels in Brighton. Had to pay for 24 hour NCP parking costing £25.10 ouch. I believe there are cheaper alternatives but we were running too late to bother finding it. And if you do use the NCP car parks there are 3 of them so remember which one you parked in! I wasn't expecting much of the hotel after reading the reviews and if I hadn't have already booked I probably wouldn't have chosen this hotel but it was ok. We had a good night sleep which was important and a nice buffet breakfast the next day. Typical breakfast facilities, hot food, cereals, toast, fruit. The decor is old fashioned and lots of torn carpet stuck down. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean, extra pillows were available. The room was unbearably hot, air con not working if it did actually exist but couldn't see radiators in the room to turn off either. The saving grace of this hotel, aside from location, was that it was clean everywhere. I liked that you could pay for early check in and late check out so there is some flexibility. It was nice enough but don't think I would rush back there. There wasn't anything about it that makes me think I wouldn't stay there again but it was just ok.

Room Tip: 4th floor seemed ok to be away from street noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelGeekBabe
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our product and service, and it looks like we came up trumps on both aspects for your stay.

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I had my wedding reception here 11 years ago and had a wonderful day. I wanted to have a trip down memory lane and spend the night there again. I had a one night stay through groupon and wasn't expecting miracles. Tired rooms, cracks in the walls, old and tatty furnishings, flat pack furniture and the worlds smallest tv and most uncomfortable bed. Such a shame as it has a wonderful location and so much potential. What was a nice hotel is now filled up with cheap coach deals from the four corners of the country

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie Y
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.

I am really sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, as the majority of our guest.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in future to enjoy what I hope can be a more pleasant stay.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

durham
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We have just come back from a 4day break at this hotel we went on a coach holiday . The hotel is in a great place straight a cross the road from the sea and a short walk from shops.the bedrooms need some work doing to them but the beds and bathroom were very clean .the food was spot. On and I'm a fussy eater I found all the staff very nice .we went with nashional holidays I would recommend this company to any one so if you can see past the very worn carpets u will have a great time

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments about your recent stay at The Royal Albion.

I am pleased to hear your room was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the food.

I would be delighted to welcome you back for a visit in the future.
Bognor
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed on a one night Groupon Deal with Dinner, B and B plus a bottle of wine. Exceptional value.
Everything was clean, three course meal had some choice and was tasty, basic food. Breakfast was adequate with eggs prepared to order, a selection of cereals, hot food, some fruit, croissants etc. Very attentive staff with tables cleared rapidly and a smile for everyone. Room was a good size with low ceilings and small windows. We did not pay extra for a sea view. Main disadvantage was a large gap around the door which let in light all night, and noise from whoever was stomping along the corridor in the middle of the night! No double glazing so being in such a prime position, noise from the street for much of the night. Shower was hot, bed was comfortable. Two chairs in the room and plenty of storage, tea coffee etc. Outside of the room was a bit shabby, but as mentioned, all was clean. Would return if we needed to stay in Brighton!

Room Tip: A high sea view would be probably best!
Dear Sir / Madam,

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.
Mirfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

As a party of twelve we have just enjoyed a four night stay travelling with national holidays after reading some of the reviews for this hotel we were all pleasantly surprised if we had any issues we found these were sorted as quickly as possible all our rooms were comfortable the meals were o k as there was always a choice of menu we were always able to find something we liked all the staff were friendly and helpful couldn't do enough for you we would definitely stay here again if in Brighton only slight problem was that on one evening we found some areas of the hotel were cold

Room Tip: Request a sea double sea view these are lovely rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda D
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review regarding your recent stay. We welcome all comments from guests regarding their stay, and yours showcases the kind of service we provide to the vast majority of our customers.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed at the Royal Albion Hotel for one night as my boyfriend and I were going to a gig down the road. We paid £100 to stay here for one night, room only basis.

Upon arrival it looked ok... staff friendly, and quick speedy check in. We were staying with another couple, one of whom was on crutches. Our rooms were down a flight of stairs from the reception, we had to go through corridors of a labyrinth to find our rooms, which included 2 flights of stairs going up??? wierd! and not at all helpful for my friend on crutches. It honestly took her nearly 10 minutes to get there. On the way out I got lost trying to find reception and ended up in a banquet room .... and a staff only area.

On arrival to our room, only the main light worked. The lamps were unplugged??? and when I did plug them in, one of the bulbs had gone. The bathroom above mirror light also didn't work, nor did the light near the door. I reported this to reception, and a man swiftly arrived but only fixed the table lamps.

The bed was small, hard and thin pillows. I eventually found 2 further pillows in the wardrobe. The furniture, was dusty and dirty, and was probably only nice 15 years ago, and the curtains were dirty and the walls had lots of marks all over them. The carpet had also seen better days, and it looked liked no one had hoovered in the corners for an age.

The bathroom was grubby, and black gunk in the corners of the bath. The shower was actually pretty hot and powerful but the bath was so narrow, the shower curtain stuck to my bum.

During the night the room became so hot, I had to open the window. Outside the clubs were kicking out and I did get to enjoy the sounds of fights and vomit at 3am.

Check was at 10am, which was really early for a Sunday morning. No one on the desk asked us if we enjoyed our stay.

I wouldn't come back to stay here. It was awful.

Room Tip: Don't bother!
2 Thank womblefruit
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We booked this hotel through an extremely cheap Groupon deal including dinner, bottle of wine and breakfast before we read the reviews, so expected Faulty Towers, but were pleasantly surprised. The sea view was amazing (worth the 10.00 upgrade!) and the staff were friendly. The hotel has a nice period real anddoes needs updating, but it was clean and comfortable (great power shower) and done its job for a short stay. We chose to eat out in the evening (in one of the restaurants just a few minutes walk away in The Laines) as the menu looked rather bland, but the bottle of wine was welcomed via a voucher handed in at the bar and there was a good choice for breakfast in the morning. All in all we had a lovely weekend in Brighton and the hotel served as a good base for our trip.

Room Tip: Room 434 has a fabulous view of the sea and pier and well worth the upgrade
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am pleased to hear your room was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the food.

I would be delighted to welcome you back for a visit in the future.