“Exceeded expectations”

Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I was pretty nervous after reading the reviews but my experience here was definitely 5 star. OK, so its far from a 5 star hotel but it doesn't claim to be one. Its tired but what do you expect from a building that's survived almost 200 Brighton winters. The room was clean and I'd much rather have used wooden furniture than that nasty cheap plywood stuff you get in most hotels. The mattress was comfortable and the room warm. Plenty of hpt water came out of the shower and I felt safe.

If you're the kind of traveler who needs to have their teabags in tiny little envelopes then this is probably not the hotel for you. But if you want a safe friendly place to stay with a decent no frills cooked breakfast in the morning then go ahead and book.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HarveyNobum
RoyalAlbion715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review regarding your recent stay. We welcome all comments from guests regarding their stay, and yours showcases the kind of service we provide to the vast majority of our customers.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

we stayed for two nights and were very dubious after reading all the reviews on here as we were taking along friends with us and didn't want to let them down seeing as we were the ones that made the booking on a cheap groupon deal, but we all were surprised all the staff were very polite and helpful, reception, bar, and lounge area clean yes could do with some TLC. we stayed on the 4th floor and our rooms were very spacious and clean only downside you could here the outside world all night but that is the downside off staying in a seaside town hotel right onto the front of a main road. we had evening meal on our first night and two breakfasts during our stay and we all can say the food, service and cleanliness of the restaurant is great as much as you can eat. we would stay here again as we didn't get to explore enough of Brighton.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
RoyalAlbion715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments about your recent stay at The Royal Albion.

I am pleased to hear your room was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the food.

We have ongoing training with our reception staff and try our best to make the checking in process as smooth and quick as possible.

Kind Regards
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were able to take advantage of a low cost overnighter here which included bed, breakfast, evening meal and a bottle of house wine! The first room we were given was a reasonable size and clean, but had a thickly glazed window overlooking, I think, an enclosed courtyard. I prefer a view so the receptionist quickly arranged this for no extra cost. The room was smaller but boasted a spa bath. The furniture was a little on the sad side, but it was clean and well appointed and the bath filled quickly with piping hot water! The restaurant was very basic and so was the food, but no complaints - it did not claim to be cordon bleu! The bar was pleasant with a good outlook. Breakfast was perfectly adequate and staff were friendly. The position of the hotel is a great plus - right opposite the pier.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed for one night to attend a wedding reception. Found the hotel to be in a perfect location and couldn't ask for better. Didn't realise when booking there is no parking but I understand that to be the case with most hotels in Brighton. Had to pay for 24 hour NCP parking costing £25.10 ouch. I believe there are cheaper alternatives but we were running too late to bother finding it. And if you do use the NCP car parks there are 3 of them so remember which one you parked in! I wasn't expecting much of the hotel after reading the reviews and if I hadn't have already booked I probably wouldn't have chosen this hotel but it was ok. We had a good night sleep which was important and a nice buffet breakfast the next day. Typical breakfast facilities, hot food, cereals, toast, fruit. The decor is old fashioned and lots of torn carpet stuck down. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean, extra pillows were available. The room was unbearably hot, air con not working if it did actually exist but couldn't see radiators in the room to turn off either. The saving grace of this hotel, aside from location, was that it was clean everywhere. I liked that you could pay for early check in and late check out so there is some flexibility. It was nice enough but don't think I would rush back there. There wasn't anything about it that makes me think I wouldn't stay there again but it was just ok.

Room Tip: 4th floor seemed ok to be away from street noise
1 Thank TravelGeekBabe
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our product and service, and it looks like we came up trumps on both aspects for your stay.

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I had my wedding reception here 11 years ago and had a wonderful day. I wanted to have a trip down memory lane and spend the night there again. I had a one night stay through groupon and wasn't expecting miracles. Tired rooms, cracks in the walls, old and tatty furnishings, flat pack furniture and the worlds smallest tv and most uncomfortable bed. Such a shame as it has a wonderful location and so much potential. What was a nice hotel is now filled up with cheap coach deals from the four corners of the country

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie Y
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.

I am really sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, as the majority of our guest.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in future to enjoy what I hope can be a more pleasant stay.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

durham
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We have just come back from a 4day break at this hotel we went on a coach holiday . The hotel is in a great place straight a cross the road from the sea and a short walk from shops.the bedrooms need some work doing to them but the beds and bathroom were very clean .the food was spot. On and I'm a fussy eater I found all the staff very nice .we went with nashional holidays I would recommend this company to any one so if you can see past the very worn carpets u will have a great time

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

Bognor
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed on a one night Groupon Deal with Dinner, B and B plus a bottle of wine. Exceptional value.
Everything was clean, three course meal had some choice and was tasty, basic food. Breakfast was adequate with eggs prepared to order, a selection of cereals, hot food, some fruit, croissants etc. Very attentive staff with tables cleared rapidly and a smile for everyone. Room was a good size with low ceilings and small windows. We did not pay extra for a sea view. Main disadvantage was a large gap around the door which let in light all night, and noise from whoever was stomping along the corridor in the middle of the night! No double glazing so being in such a prime position, noise from the street for much of the night. Shower was hot, bed was comfortable. Two chairs in the room and plenty of storage, tea coffee etc. Outside of the room was a bit shabby, but as mentioned, all was clean. Would return if we needed to stay in Brighton!

Room Tip: A high sea view would be probably best!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.