“An air of grime and neglect !”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We popped in for a drink and to check it out for a future stay...and definately wont be staying here! Sat in seafront bar to admire view which was spoilt by filthy smeared windows..looking around, the whole place had an air of grime and neglect. dirty window sills,dead plants, brown water stained area above bar entrance and waterstained pictures had not been removed. There were various water damaged areas around hotel. The cocktail was nice though !

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank j j

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Let me start by saying that I didn't have high expectations of this place. I had read other reviews and knew that I was booking a place that has seen better days, and that was fine by me as the price was right. But oh dear....

I stayed here with my daughter on 28 December. The room was clean. That's the best that can be said about it. The furniture was shabby, the beds uncomfortable and the wallpaper peeling. One bedside lamp was missing a lightbulb. The window wouldn't open. Though the bathroom was clean elsewhere, there was an unidentifiable... something... in the crevices around the tub. The room was on the first floor and we were kept awake by the dire disco (playing to a mostly empty lounge) until midnight. The room rate included free internet access, but there was no wifi in the room, only on the lobby level.

The bar was depressing, though there were comfy seats. They couldn't make a martini. Personally I think a hotel bar should be able to make a damn martini. The lounge was comfortable and warm, but the windows were filthy, and the Christmas decorations were a bit tacky. Still, that's a matter of taste, so maybe I'm just being mean.

Let's go to breakfast, shall we? You want mean, here it comes. The room was large and unbelievable depressing, with worn carpets that has been taped down with gaffer tape, I kid you not, which itself was peeling and causing a tripping hazard. The table hadn't been cleared properly, and I finally did it myself after trying and failing to get a server's attention. Which turned out to be a blessing. When I did finally see a server close up, his black trousers and waistcoat were filthy and encrusted with some sort of grey stains--I am not exaggerating here. I tried three plates before I found a clean one. The food itself looked awful. Limp bacon, watery scrambled eggs and anaemic looking sausages. I bypassed them for a croissant that turned out to be stone cold and hard as a rock. We drank a cup of coffee then got the hell out of Dodge.

The staff on reception were lovely. In the bar they were fine. In the restaurant they were indifferent and quite possibly unhygienic.

My verdict: get a room at the Premier Inn and steer well clear of this place.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank lizzieusauk
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We enjoyed the stay but ?!?!?
Water was pouring into the room where the windows would not close properly and the wind was howling? (although the hotel cannot control the weather we would expect a water tight room).
The food was over all quite good and staff very friendly.
The hotel was full of older people who spent most of their evenings standing on the doorstep to the hotel smoking -this was very off putting as you had to go through a cloud of smoke each time you wanted to in out or out.
We have stayed here before but it is really time they spent some money on this hotel to bring it into the 21st century (including another lift).
The location is all ways a plus and there was all ways plenty of hot water and towels (which were needed)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim H
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

We got a cheap deal on this hotel in August 2012 when we meeting some friends for dinner out in Brighton.
The hotel itself is nice, the location is perfect and the room was very big. The downside was we were on the top floor with plastic skylights, being August it was very bright and we were awake at the crack of dawn as the skylight directly above the bed did not have a blind or anything.
When I called down to reception to see if there was an electric blind which I couldn't find I was told that it was bright as it was the morning.
Also as the skylights were plastic, we could hear the seagulls walking across and it was very loud!
Probably ask for a room not on the top floor and you should be ok!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarah9850
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We asked for a superior room and although the sea view was lovely the room itself was far less than superior. The rain was running down the inside of the wall where the windows need replacing. The wallpaper had tears in it and there were cobwebs everywhere. Our jaccuzi bath wasn't working and there was paint spilled over the bottom of it. We ate dinner in the restaurant and my pasta seemed as if had been cooking for the passed week, it was more of a soup. I reported this to reception and all I received was an apology, no rectification. Needless to say we won't be staying again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debra C
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We booked two nights initially and were dumbfounded what a greal deal we got online. £39 per night for room only. We made a few special requests on our booking and were surprised that they were honored when we arrived. Location is absolutely perfect and the sea views from the hotel were uninterupted. The night time manager Mike was so incredibly hospitable and accommodating that we decided to stay a third night at the last minute. One of the most friendliest guys we've ever met! Granted the hotel might be a little outdated, but it didn't hinder our wonderful experience. Would go back any day!! Highly recommended for an impromptu Brighton getaway : )

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with one of their newly built Jacuzzi's!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Nice old building with character, the room was sea view in the gods and in all truth stunk and needs a lot of work carried out to bring it up to a reasonable standard, mainly due to damp / corrosion, these buildings would cost so much to do its not viable when the main trade seems to be coach parties on all inclusive breaks eating school diner type meals, brightons a great place thou. Cheap and cheerful hotel

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple