“Budget hotel in excellent location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Budget hotel in excellent location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

No surprises with this hotel; after reading the reviews on tripadvisor we had no excuse for being surprised about the condition of this hotel. As with many of the sea front hotels the outside of the building looks tired, water damaged and suffering from the effects of the weather, but for a cheap hotel in a fantastic location it ticked the box.

Staff were very helpful and efficient and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Although some furnishings were tired looking nothing unexpected in the finish as we had not paid posh hotel prices and had booked into a budget deal.

Anyone giving the hotel a one star is being harsh, and as they are posting on trip advisor to complain I would expect them to have checked the hotel out beforehand in which case why did you book into a hotel that clearly is getting bad reviews? Some people like to complain !

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mandy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

In need of a massive refurb, lots of damp, buckets in hallway collecting rain, dirty, dusty, very old tv on stand, the bedding was clean thou, wouldn't recommend and quite expensive for just one night

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Den232

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Gosport, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Pictures shown on website are not what the hotel is like at all,its dirty,unfriendly staff,just unpleasent all round,would never stay there again ! far to costly for what you get , the owners should be ashamed of themselve,this could be a wonderful Hotel,but whoever owns it obviously doen't care and is just ripping customers off

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Annalisa P
Folkestone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'd read a few reviews on here, and prepared myself for the worst. This was achieved on arrival!

When you arrive at the hotel you can see that it is in need of repair. Paint work is awful, and general tidiness of the outside areas of the hotel are bad too. From my balcony I could see wine glasses that had been tossed out of windows.

As you walk into the reception, it doesn't actually look that bad, However once you walk into the lounge, you can see the walls pretty much hanging off and water leaking through the walls. There were 4 containers and a small jug catching the water. The doorway to the restaraunt had a bucket underneath it too as there was a leak there. When we went into the restaraunt we were told we couldn't sit by the window, as it leaked there too. The toilets downstairs had a massive hole in the ceiling and water had poured in and the floor was covered in towels to soak it up.

The furniture in the bar area was very well used. Staff were friendly enough.

We took the stairs to our room, you can smell the hotel is very damp and the windows were lined with towels to stop water coming in.

Our room however, was ok. Pants for the money paid. We had a sea view room, but as the windows were filthy you could hardly see anytning. Granted, the weather was bad this weekend, but still. We had a TV from the dark ages, Suprised it even worked. A trouser press in the wardrobe, with no plug on and it was unusable.... The spare pillows in the wadrobe had brown stains on them... tatsy.

The balcony door, only just closed and was ver drafy.

Bathroom was cleanish. Spa bath was a little to be disired. After use of the spa bath it was filled with black grit. I showered that morning before my arrival so I know it wasn't me!!

Overal an awful stay. I definitly wouldn't go back. A hotel in need of some serious repair and refurbishment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Karen H
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We got a wowcher deal (I'd have been seriously narked if I'd have paid full price) but even still, one night cost us £130 DBB by the time we'd upgraded to a sea view (might have been able to see if the windows were clean) executive room. Our room was like a dumping ground for old broken 60's style chairs. There was a roll up squished into our carpet. The paint was flaking and the bed was a very very small double. I have to say the sheets were clean so they must have a laundry contract at least!! Food was terrible, reminiscent of bad school dinners. Breakfast was worse. Waiting staff were very friendly but you got the feeling they were highly embarrassed to be working there. The lounge had damaged flooring and furniture. Oh and lest I forget to mention the parking. There isn't any. £24 for 24hrs in the laines car park was the closest. Great location tho. Right opposite the pier. Such a shame. It must've been amazing in its hay day :(

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Missvpm
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Good location, right on the seafront, fabulous view of the sea and pier from my room. I was able to park right outside the hotel which was free from 6pm-9am, a real bonus in Brighton which is very expensive to park generally. About 8 mins walk to the Brighton centre, which was the purpose of my stay. The hotel is certainly very dated, but the staff were friendly and helpful. The room had everything I needed and was clean. If you want a budget space to stay I would recommend here. I didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food side, but I would stay here again - this was my second stay at the Albion.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Seaford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

After booking the hotel last week for my birthday/valentines, I then read all the reviews on here and was dreading our stay at this hotel. However I didn't have any problems here. Four of us stayed, my partner and I and my friend and her partner and both rooms were clean and perfect for just the one night stay. Hot water and comfy bed. It's was very warm in the evening but in the morning I was freezing! It's true that the carpets are a bit worn and dirty but for the price of this hotel you can't expect much more! Also the tvs are ancient but who stays in a hotel to watch tv?! Didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that but overall we were happy with our choice.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple