“past last legs?”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The reception staff seemed to try being pleasant and came to help when the key failed to work, but the big hotel seemed like it shut down to be pulled down and was being still used. I did not feel comfortable, the room smelt mouldy, drafty, curtain coming off, decor shabby. The dining room overcrowded with coach parties jostling so it was hard to get the self service overheated basic breakfast, it was more like a noisy canteen. It is in a sad state and probably a nice place once.

The worst was when I returned to my room at 9.30 before checkout, a cleaner was there and had put my jacket in a plastic bag as lost property. She bossed me around, a guest, saying I was a departure and expected me to walk out again. She said she had done the room, having thrown away my diet coke and whatever else. When she said Ill get the hoover and did so, I said you are not hoovering now? (said yes), Im not ready to depart and its not checkout time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank f b
Write a ReviewReviews (3,020)

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

To be honest I'm being nice by calling it a hotel! It's more of a youth hostel you'd stay in when back packing as a kid.
we arrived paid our £125 per night room only, got our keys and within 30 mins I had returned from the 5th floor to the front desk to get a refund! Carpet held together by duct tape, air con unit hanging off the wall, dirty room, mould on the walls and around windows, food and breakfast plates still on all the landings this was around 14:30pm!!! the smell of damp in the air and that's before I went in the bathroom!!!!

By fair the worst place I've been in and to be honest it's in need of a visit from environmental health services... Just our opinion but good luck if you go!' I wish you could upload photos!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rwilliams83
Reviewed 19 February 2014

OK, I've sat and thought about this for a couple of weeks just so that I feel happy to give a fair review. Basically the many reviews give a true picture - this hotel is in a sorry state and it's such a shame, the place must have been fantastic in it's heyday.

The good bits:
Fantastic location
clean and warm
friendly and helpful staff

The bad bits:
very worn and dated - lots of leaks, buckets and signs of water ingress
Jenny's restaurant, too many tables, buffet style. Too many people in too small a space

OK bits:
food
bar and prices

Summary:
IF you get this at a good price then go for it, you don't have to eat here. Brighton is one of those places you really need to visit - whatever floats your boat Brighton has it somewhere, just go and enjoy.

PS If you need gluten free meals Brighton must be one of the most coeliac friendly places we've visited.

Room Tip: Rooms on the same side as the hotel entrance may experience noise from the nearby nightclub.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Booked via booking.com for one night.
We had to pay up front before seeing the room, which we thought was strange!
We were on the 5th floor, as soon as the lift doors opened the landing was full of dirty breakfast pots, it was 2:30 in the afternoon!
We walked into our room and OMG! I couldn't believe this wasn't some sort of joke!!! Downtown abbey servant quarters spring to mind!!! Victorian furniture old and fit for skipping! Carpet was stained and silver taped in several places, the carpet under the bed frame was completely missing, it had obviously been harvested to repair somewhere else, and had been filled with tape. There was no duvet just a sheet that had been washed so much you could see through it, pillows stained and if I had had an ultra violet lamp with me I swear that mattress would have walked out!!!
Bathroom stunk, the smell was coming from the 'jet' bath which I think had stagnant water in the pipes.
I could go on and on about how bad this place was, it needs some serious money spending on it.
If you want a romantic weekend or a get away from home this is not the place!
We went and got a refund within half an hour of entering.
Absolute hole!
I don't have a positive point to say other than good location.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank HelenKirton59
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on DBB basis booked via Wowcher 10-12 Feb. It was myself, my husband and our 2 children aged 4 and almost 2. I was dreading the visit based on these TripAdvisor reviews but I can honestly say we had a pleasant stay!

Had a huge family room with a sea view located on 3rd floor. Comfy bed, clean sheets, bright and airy... The window panes and skirting boards look a bit weathered but definitely not dirty and not noticeable enough to impact on our stay. Heating wasn't working brilliantly but this was our only real inconvenience.

Food is buffet style and average - not top restaurant quality but not inedible! In my opinion filling with a decent choice and very good value at £9.95 for 3 courses but for us it was part of our package, and we had a bottle of wine included - lovely!

No parking but its not a surprise given the age of the building and its location. Ncp parking nearby is expensive but that's Brighton for you. Can't really blame that on the hotel!

Would stay again! Go with an open mind and a FAIR expectation of what standards to expect based on the fact this hotel is 3 star not five as some guests seem to have expected!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 999julie999
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked this hotel as this was the only hotel available for 1 night over the valentines weekend that I could find. After reading the reviews on here I expected the worst and it didn't shock me. Walking up to the hotel you can clearly see that it needs a lot of work doing to it. The windows are dirty, the paint is flaking off and there is rust stains all over the building. The staff were pleasant but I only spoke to them on check in and out so I can't really say to much about them.
The hotel is just as dirty inside as it is outside, walking up to my room there were red chairs on the landing that were filthy, it was disgusting!!
In the room, it was loud and I could hear other people convocations in the room next to use as well as above us, the floors creaked and again was not that clean, not as bad as the outside or the landing but still could do better. The spare duvet in the wardrobe had no cover on and looked like it was wee stained.

For the amount of money they charge for 1 night you expect a better hotel. This hotel could be the best hotel in Brighton with the location, Britannia hotels needs to spend the money to fix it up!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Danielle12319
Reviewed 18 February 2014

No surprises with this hotel; after reading the reviews on tripadvisor we had no excuse for being surprised about the condition of this hotel. As with many of the sea front hotels the outside of the building looks tired, water damaged and suffering from the effects of the weather, but for a cheap hotel in a fantastic location it ticked the box.

Staff were very helpful and efficient and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Although some furnishings were tired looking nothing unexpected in the finish as we had not paid posh hotel prices and had booked into a budget deal.

Anyone giving the hotel a one star is being harsh, and as they are posting on trip advisor to complain I would expect them to have checked the hotel out beforehand in which case why did you book into a hotel that clearly is getting bad reviews? Some people like to complain !

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family