Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$259
US$251
  • Beachfront
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$137
US$329
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$220
US$165
US$140
  • Beachfront
The Lanes Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$206
  • Breakfast included
Blanch House(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$216
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
3,110 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

So we got a groupon for 59 quid.... Thought it would be a good deal? We got there, check in was easy so very happy;) I paid the extra for an executive room with spa bath and sea view. On opening the room we had a quick look round and it was awfully shabby, the carpets were stained and frayed, and the furniture was very well worn. The bedding was white and very clean and perfectly ironed, smelling very clean ;)The bathroom had a spa bath but later that night when we used it the bottom for the spa didn't work, meaning no bubbles, but as gone 11pm I wasn't bothered with trying to be moved, anyway I opened the curtains and straight away noticed no sea view at all, in fact we were the opposite side of the building. I rang the Britannia booking line to confirm I had paid the extra for the sea view. This was confirmed so I went to reception and told them about the problem, she said they had no free rooms with a sea view which is obviously what I'd booked so naturally very confused about that! They did offer me a free bottle of house wine which after opening and having one mouthful each tasted like vinegar and ended up going back to the bar to buy more drinks. I'd spent 4 hrs driving to get to my romantic night away in magical surroundings and my room which was described to me on booking by Britannia hotels as " a gorgeous romantic room with a stunning view" We sat in the lounge to drink our drinks and attempt to look out of the window, they were all so thick with scum we couldn't see out of them, my second drink was literally last in the barrel so after I'd queued for 20 mins then sat down to drink it, it was flat and awful, I marched straight back to the bar to say this pint was awful and I wanted it changing the bar staff said I had to queue again.... I looked back at the queue of 20 people plus and sighed.... So I queued again.... 15 minutes and finally back to the bar!!! Again I explained about the beer... The young foreign girl looked at me and said it looked ok to her, I explained it tasted flat and I warned it changed, she said there were no other complaints of the San Miguel beer, again I said I wished for a replacement, and again she said the beer looked to have fizz in it!!! Christ I was ready to scream!!!! I didn't and again insisted on a change, she scowled at me and actually tutted at me and spoke to the other foreign girl who was serving in their language, they both actually shook their Heads at me and eventually I got my drink, which was fine ;) everyone in the queue was looking at me and I was utterly embarrassed!!! I made my way back to the lounge area where the sofa we sat on was so worn it was filled with massive holes!!!!! It was awful!!!!The groupon deal included an evening meal... Now may I say it was like a cattle market, people everywhere fighting over tables and chairs!!! God knows why tho as the food was awful, we literally had a plate of sausage slop and mash... Sat down and it honestly wasn't even hot. Yes it was warm but if I was in a restaurant and given this I would send it back. Were not picky eaters and do not moan often at all,we travel regularly, at least once a month, and genuinely thought this deal would be worth while. It ended up us leaving the restaurant and having to go and spend £80 at an Italian near the lanes called pinocchios, which I must add was excellent. On going to bed in the evening the room and hotel in general was so hot we had to have the window wide open which meant all you could hear was the noise from the road, and all the drunks from the many bars and clubs across from the hotel, and even with the air con on there was no difference?? There was noise that. It was working but no cold air! Obviously after only 3 hours sleep both shattered. Got up in morning for a shower and the water temperature kept constantly changing from scolding to cold which put me in a utterly foul mood after all of the above happening already. We went down for breakfast which was also included. We were about 15 mins from the end of service and it really was awful. There was bacon on a hot plate which was swimming in barely warm oil. I asked for some fried eggs to be done as only scrambled there and was told sorry but that's all there was left due to the time,
I questioned it as yes there was only 15 mins left til breakfast was finished but still that was 15 minutes that I should've been given what I asked for, I was asking for 2 fried eggs not eggs Benedict and smoked salmon!!! I was told cooking had finished!!! This meant there was barely anything worth eating. It took ages to find a clear table as so many hasn't even been cleared. So again just got up and left the restaurant, walking out slapping the key cards on the desk as I walked out the hotel. As there was a large group of people in reception I spared myself the humiliation and frustration of getting into an argument again! So breakfast nearby cost me another 20 quid!!!! I really do recommend that people stay clear of this hotel and groupon offer as it really isn't worth the money!!!! My night away with an inclusive meal and breakfast ended up costing me over 100 quid extra, so not a good deal at all!!!! I travel a lot in the UK and abroad and I have never moaned in any of my previous trip advisor reviews but I jus had to be honest with this one!!!! Brighton was beautiful but the hotel was probably the worst I've ever stayed in, for a large chain I can't believe the poor standard of this place, staff need some training nd the hotel needs a massive re vamp!!!! Please note I'm an average working class person, I don't expect much but I do expect more than what I got here!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank pippa002
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel would cost an arm and leg to stay if she had total refurb,
we stayed 3rd feb mon to fri bed breakfast evening meal basis on a national
holidays break £99 all in the food was as some say a bit school dinners but 99% was still very good food nothing too fancy all served buffet style the breakfast could not be faulted bacon eggs scrambled ( fried on request)
blackpudding beans tomatoes sausage cossuants brown white toast butter
( real butter and spread ) marmalade fried bread ceareals jucies and more
evening pate cheese salad ham soup french sticks main meat fish 2/3veg potatoes always a choice some thing for all deserts apple crumble cake fresh fruit salad real cream custard . on to rooms we were given a sea view room with one window that opened above french windows to balcony sealed up shame heating adjustable from aircon we set first day and it was on thermostat all the time room was clean good size tv working apart from ch4 we did not bother with it our bathroom had a spa bath loo and sink all worked fine public areas clean there was heavy rain and the old girl sprang a few leaks wifi worked in bar and lounge but was very slow . i must say we were impressed with the arival system a member of staff came on board coach with key cards and handed them out so no queue at reception but there was only one lift so that was busy at times leaving was badly managed by the hotel there were five coaches in all leaving same morning and breakfast was not staggered like all meals till last morning
the staff coped well filling food but some guests just pushed to front there was a constant shortage of seating in public areas when everyone was in
after meals e.c.t the weather was dreadfull so most people stayed in hotel

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daffdave
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The reception staff seemed to try being pleasant and came to help when the key failed to work, but the big hotel seemed like it shut down to be pulled down and was being still used. I did not feel comfortable, the room smelt mouldy, drafty, curtain coming off, decor shabby. The dining room overcrowded with coach parties jostling so it was hard to get the self service overheated basic breakfast, it was more like a noisy canteen. It is in a sad state and probably a nice place once.

The worst was when I returned to my room at 9.30 before checkout, a cleaner was there and had put my jacket in a plastic bag as lost property. She bossed me around, a guest, saying I was a departure and expected me to walk out again. She said she had done the room, having thrown away my diet coke and whatever else. When she said Ill get the hoover and did so, I said you are not hoovering now? (said yes), Im not ready to depart and its not checkout time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank f b
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

To be honest I'm being nice by calling it a hotel! It's more of a youth hostel you'd stay in when back packing as a kid.
we arrived paid our £125 per night room only, got our keys and within 30 mins I had returned from the 5th floor to the front desk to get a refund! Carpet held together by duct tape, air con unit hanging off the wall, dirty room, mould on the walls and around windows, food and breakfast plates still on all the landings this was around 14:30pm!!! the smell of damp in the air and that's before I went in the bathroom!!!!

By fair the worst place I've been in and to be honest it's in need of a visit from environmental health services... Just our opinion but good luck if you go!' I wish you could upload photos!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rwilliams83
Reviewed 19 February 2014

OK, I've sat and thought about this for a couple of weeks just so that I feel happy to give a fair review. Basically the many reviews give a true picture - this hotel is in a sorry state and it's such a shame, the place must have been fantastic in it's heyday.

The good bits:
Fantastic location
clean and warm
friendly and helpful staff

The bad bits:
very worn and dated - lots of leaks, buckets and signs of water ingress
Jenny's restaurant, too many tables, buffet style. Too many people in too small a space

OK bits:
food
bar and prices

Summary:
IF you get this at a good price then go for it, you don't have to eat here. Brighton is one of those places you really need to visit - whatever floats your boat Brighton has it somewhere, just go and enjoy.

PS If you need gluten free meals Brighton must be one of the most coeliac friendly places we've visited.

Room Tip: Rooms on the same side as the hotel entrance may experience noise from the nearby nightclub.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends