“Past Glory?”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The location of the hotel is superb--adjacent to the pier and convenient for all buses. The hotel ,however , needs considerable upgrading to reach todays standards. There was damp penetration through the walls in the stairwell and peeling paint on the exterior. The bedroom furniture was dated (the tv was ancient and not the normal slim style--a CRT set with limited channels). The hotel seemed to rely on coaches for its business (there were 3 coach parties whilst we were there) and this seems to be the direction that down at heel hotels descend. It is a great shame because the wonderful location demands more. The investment needed to bring this hotel up to meet the demands of the modern traveller is considerable and unlikely in this economic climate. The common rooms were acceptable but full at peak times with coach parties anticipating dinner! The bar was pleasant but full of coach travellers wanting their 99p bar offers(which was not available to others). The food at breakfast was buffet style and not the best but acceptable--dinner was also buffet style but was not very good but at £9.95 for 3 courses? There are plenty of other hotels in Brighton and on my next visit I will stay elsewhere. I do not like to rubbish a hotel but this one is best avoided.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,044)

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stopped overnight to celebrate a birthday locally, so was not too interested in evening meals, However, the breakfast was plentiful and varied, although "fried" eggs had to be ordered, which I suppose meant you got them fresh. I suppose it was a "health and safety" issue (again).

That said, the room (including a spa bath )was clean and tidy. The bed linen was dazzlingly white and fresh, and all in all we enjoyed our stay. I could not fault the staff who were very helpful, even if most were not locally grown.

The décor is extremely jaded, although the lounge is spacious and comfortable.This hotel is right on the seafront and although some of the criticisms I have seen are merited,

All in all the hotel provided good value for the price charged. I would certainly use the hotel again,

1  Thank BillDavison
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed here 26th & 27th Feb. My room was on the second floor. It was spotlessly clean and tidy. The room had airconditioning, and a very large jacuzzi. The bed was kingsize and comfy. The furniture was good, and everything worked. For the price, approx £40 per night it was excellent value for money. I heard from locals that the "below ground" rooms are claustrophobic and unpleasant, but my room was just fine.
The public areas are suffering a bit from the hotels age, but look as if they are undergoing refurbishment.
The staff were friendly and courteous, and checking in and out was quick and efficient. I will certainly stay here again (but probably with a request not to have a below ground room).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Reynella
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We too used a groupon voucher that had been given to us on this hotel. We stayed one night, and I can safely say that this is not a hotel that I will be returning to, and have since informed friends to stay well clear also!
Where to start? Well, probably with the room. The carpet were horribly stained, the walls looked to have water damage to them. To top it off, the shower would not work. The window in our room would not stay open, and therefore it got very stuffy without any fresh air.
The Bed.. well, I think that I honestly would have been more comfortable sleeping on a cold pavement than in this bed which was so hard, me and my partner barely got any sleep. Despite the bed sheets looking clean at first glance, they smelt and our bed sheets were covered in what looked like hairs from other guests private areas!!! Not the most inviting of places to spend the night!
On top of which, the closest toilets to the bar and restaurant were quite a walk away, and was surprised to find the ladies toilet containing a huge bucket of stale water from a leak in the ceiling!!
All this could be overlooked however, if the food and bottle of house wine that was included in our deal was redeemable. Unfortunately, it was not. The bottle of house wine that we had tasted truly awful, and we were unable to drink any more than a few sips, even when we attempted to mix it with lemonade. I honestly, do not know how they can serve this. After our sips of wine, we went to the 'resteraunt' to have dinner, and we were greeted by a packed room with very little space to move, the chairs were uncomfortable and the tables were not cleaned. The food itself was cold, with no flavour, and we ended up going elsewhere to eat dinner. Due to this, we couldn't face breakfast in the hotel the next day, as we were so put off by the night before.
What we thought was a fantastic GroupOn deal, turned out to be a romantic getaway from hell, with my partner even offering to drive the 2 hour trip home at 2am.
I guess with anything you get what you pay for, but take my advice and give this hotel a very wide birth!!
The only positive thing that I can say was that our experiences of the staff in this hotel was positive and they all seemed quite friendly. When after we had checked out, I had realised I had left my phone in the room, they were happy for me to go back to the room and collect it.

Room Tip: Be very careful as the hotel is next to a busy nightclub which was very very loud until around 5am...
4  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked this hotel for a valentines treat that turned into a nightmare!
Upon arriving at the hotel we were given keys and told to find the room.
The first thing I noticed walking up the stairs were the towels plugging various window leaks. The room was probably the height of fashion, 30 years ago. Everything in it was broken or marked or chipped, from the bath to the carpet cut around the bed. The room shook constantly (my guess is because of the air con in the room below). The floor was more than a little squeeky. The cover over the bottom of the bed smelt dirty. Breakfast was fine if you liked cold toast, milk and orange juice with a skin over it and meat that tasted cheap.
Upon complaining to the staff they didn't really seem to care and wouldn't help me at all.
So much for the £170+ we paid for the two night stay. It's not worth a fraction of the price.
Not even the central location makes up for the horror of a stay we had.
Two nights no sleep, a room that constantly vibrated and a ruined valentines day.
DON'T GO THERE!

2  Thank Amie J
Reviewed 26 February 2014

booked this hotel for 1 night to celebrate my husbands birthday as we love the city of Brighton - Luckily i found a voucher for £49.50 for 1 night B&B and Dinner + Bottle of Wine as i would have been outraged if i had paid anymore for this what a shambles - Room shabby cheap not shabby chic! when we arrived we asked to upgrade to a sea view but they stated these had all been taken. our view was the sea, if you tilted your head and looked out of the window which only opened if u put a piece of wood to hold it up, the bath was tiny have photographic evidence but will not post due to the eyes of other reviewers!

Dinner was a buffet style and reminded us of our honeymoon in Bulgaria (see review) - we had some dinner then found a Burger King to really fill us up, Breakfast was a similar affair.

This hotel has a 3 star rating not sure when or how this was earned but it seriously needs reviewing or at least a visit from The Hotel Inspector - We will not stay there again even if it was free!!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Our first stay at Royal Albion as have always stayed in Travelodge when visiting Brighton but wanted something with a bit more character and they didnt fail!!! Parking was not an issue as we'd done our research. We recommend Madiera Drive, £7 for 24hrs and is a stones throw away. On arrival at hotel reception staff very attentive, clear and helpful. Room was on the top floor in the roof which gave it extra character, beams, sloping roof. Room was clean, warm and with extra blankets and pillows for more cosy comfort. Quiet at night with very little external noise. As a base when visiting Brighton it is ideal as right on seafront opposite pier and a few minutes walk from the shops, cafe etc. Previous reviews have complained about the state of decor but considering the age of the hotel and how open to all the elements it is I think it is fairing pretty well and for the price we paid (£78 for 2 nights) I wasnt expecting The Grand!! Will defenately return. Thankyou Royal Abion for a fab couple of days.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
RoyalAlbion715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Michelle,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments about your recent stay at The Royal Albion.

I am pleased to hear your room was satisfactory.

We have ongoing training with our reception staff and try our best to make the checking in process as smooth and quick as possible.

I would be delighted to welcome you back for a visit in the future.