“Value”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Booked a one night stay in the Albion, inclusive of a bottle of house wine, three course meal and breakfast in the morning all for £59.00 for my girlfriend and me, decided to upgrade upon arrival to a room with a seaview!(£10.00) was over the moon that all the paperwork was in order, the reception staff were very polite and helpful, the room was just okay but was very clean and had a marvelous surprise bonus of a wonderful jacuzzi bath! The food was very good and plentiful, but the jewel in the crown was the position of the hotel _ Smack bang in front of the pier and main boulevard, Nobody in there right mind could fault what this hotel gave us for the money that we paid. Absolutely splendid value.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Andrewkeel7

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed in a twin sea view room the room was very clean and so was the bed linen. As people have mentioned it is very dated but as it was spotlessly clean and a good price this could be overlooked. We would stay again

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank izaphoeb
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here before several times over the last five years I had a good idea what it would be like but, sadly, it was worse than ever.

The location couldn't be better for exploring Brighton, right by the pier and Kemp Town. Reception was efficient, if not overly welcoming. The common areas are okay if a little run down.

The rooms are the biggest problem. On the website they look nice but reality is a world away from these and they are depressingly old and very dirty. Thread-bare carpets with large stains. Worn out furniture. 80s chintz throughout and the stench of smoke.

The worst part though was the noise - all through the night out neighbours were coming and going and at two points someone loudly tried to get into our room.

Breakfast was okay but the cheapest possible ingredients that would make Iceland taste like Michelin star food.

This place should be closed, it's filthy, rundown and just not habitable. For the money you could stay at the new Ibis or a Travelodge,

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank kiangarin
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The location of the hotel is superb--adjacent to the pier and convenient for all buses. The hotel ,however , needs considerable upgrading to reach todays standards. There was damp penetration through the walls in the stairwell and peeling paint on the exterior. The bedroom furniture was dated (the tv was ancient and not the normal slim style--a CRT set with limited channels). The hotel seemed to rely on coaches for its business (there were 3 coach parties whilst we were there) and this seems to be the direction that down at heel hotels descend. It is a great shame because the wonderful location demands more. The investment needed to bring this hotel up to meet the demands of the modern traveller is considerable and unlikely in this economic climate. The common rooms were acceptable but full at peak times with coach parties anticipating dinner! The bar was pleasant but full of coach travellers wanting their 99p bar offers(which was not available to others). The food at breakfast was buffet style and not the best but acceptable--dinner was also buffet style but was not very good but at £9.95 for 3 courses? There are plenty of other hotels in Brighton and on my next visit I will stay elsewhere. I do not like to rubbish a hotel but this one is best avoided.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stopped overnight to celebrate a birthday locally, so was not too interested in evening meals, However, the breakfast was plentiful and varied, although "fried" eggs had to be ordered, which I suppose meant you got them fresh. I suppose it was a "health and safety" issue (again).

That said, the room (including a spa bath )was clean and tidy. The bed linen was dazzlingly white and fresh, and all in all we enjoyed our stay. I could not fault the staff who were very helpful, even if most were not locally grown.

The décor is extremely jaded, although the lounge is spacious and comfortable.This hotel is right on the seafront and although some of the criticisms I have seen are merited,

All in all the hotel provided good value for the price charged. I would certainly use the hotel again,

1  Thank BillDavison
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed here 26th & 27th Feb. My room was on the second floor. It was spotlessly clean and tidy. The room had airconditioning, and a very large jacuzzi. The bed was kingsize and comfy. The furniture was good, and everything worked. For the price, approx £40 per night it was excellent value for money. I heard from locals that the "below ground" rooms are claustrophobic and unpleasant, but my room was just fine.
The public areas are suffering a bit from the hotels age, but look as if they are undergoing refurbishment.
The staff were friendly and courteous, and checking in and out was quick and efficient. I will certainly stay here again (but probably with a request not to have a below ground room).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Reynella
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We too used a groupon voucher that had been given to us on this hotel. We stayed one night, and I can safely say that this is not a hotel that I will be returning to, and have since informed friends to stay well clear also!
Where to start? Well, probably with the room. The carpet were horribly stained, the walls looked to have water damage to them. To top it off, the shower would not work. The window in our room would not stay open, and therefore it got very stuffy without any fresh air.
The Bed.. well, I think that I honestly would have been more comfortable sleeping on a cold pavement than in this bed which was so hard, me and my partner barely got any sleep. Despite the bed sheets looking clean at first glance, they smelt and our bed sheets were covered in what looked like hairs from other guests private areas!!! Not the most inviting of places to spend the night!
On top of which, the closest toilets to the bar and restaurant were quite a walk away, and was surprised to find the ladies toilet containing a huge bucket of stale water from a leak in the ceiling!!
All this could be overlooked however, if the food and bottle of house wine that was included in our deal was redeemable. Unfortunately, it was not. The bottle of house wine that we had tasted truly awful, and we were unable to drink any more than a few sips, even when we attempted to mix it with lemonade. I honestly, do not know how they can serve this. After our sips of wine, we went to the 'resteraunt' to have dinner, and we were greeted by a packed room with very little space to move, the chairs were uncomfortable and the tables were not cleaned. The food itself was cold, with no flavour, and we ended up going elsewhere to eat dinner. Due to this, we couldn't face breakfast in the hotel the next day, as we were so put off by the night before.
What we thought was a fantastic GroupOn deal, turned out to be a romantic getaway from hell, with my partner even offering to drive the 2 hour trip home at 2am.
I guess with anything you get what you pay for, but take my advice and give this hotel a very wide birth!!
The only positive thing that I can say was that our experiences of the staff in this hotel was positive and they all seemed quite friendly. When after we had checked out, I had realised I had left my phone in the room, they were happy for me to go back to the room and collect it.

Room Tip: Be very careful as the hotel is next to a busy nightclub which was very very loud until around 5am...