Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
    Very Good 4/5
    • Restaurant
    Elysian Hotel(Brighton)
    3,108 results
    See what travellers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just spent a long weekend at this hotel in Brighton. Great rates, beautiful large room, good service and fabulous sea views. Even the in room tea and coffee was really generous Our room looked directly over the pier, what more could you ask of a seaside stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 27 March 2014

For the price paid (2 rooms, Double £49, Single £34 with Breakfast) Great value for Brighton!
    The lady on reception was lovely and very friendly (informed us there was a quiz in the bar and offered late check-out) However, the first room myself & partner checked in to had guests already in it, (so we were greeted by a massive bum-crack as we opened the door), the other single room I'd booked my brother in to was great, actually a twin (both big beds) with panorama sea view, however, the next room my partner and I were moved to had not been cleaned, so w were moved again. The room we had in the end was lovely, no frills (the jets in the bath don't work, and as such din't want to fill the bath as things may be living in those pipes), shower was lovely.
    Breakfast was much more than I expected, full English buffet plus continental bits too.
    All in all, compared to most reviews on here, I thought it was well worth the price!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
    Reviewed 24 March 2014

Very disappointed in the staff and the way they treated us! Booked a room 3 days before all fine! When get there staff had double booked our room due to a group booking so gave our room away and decided to move us too a different hotel! Which was ages away from the Albion so we got lost! Also charging 15 pound for parking per night is not acceptable for a hotel! Completely livid! Staff very rude and didn't even get a apology!

• Stayed: March 2014
    1  Thank Lividgilly1
    Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I found this hotel on last minute and got a room very cheap. To be honest I felt the room was worth what we paid although it was very small, poor equipment and bad view. It was still an enjoyable weekend only faults would be that the bartender was unfriendly and made us feel slightly awkward. To sum up good location terrible parking but worth no more than £50

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 21 March 2014

Shamefully bad.

I booked this very 'last minute', paying £120 for my mistake. Like many, I saw its central location and mildly reassuring heritage cues and assumed it was, at worst, going to be a little naff. I sometimes find down-at-heel British hotels even characterful. Do not make the mistake I made. This operation borders on fraud.

Scam #1. I was given a room in the basement with no windows - meaning total darkness without a lamp on. Is this even legal? Can a place charge a standard rate for a pitch dark cellar? Is there not an obligation to caveat and explain to a customer that they might as well be sleeping on the beach in winter that night, for all the comfort they are about to experience? Trading Standards presumably allow it. This is not a well lit Tokyo capsule room. It's a magnolia storage room. It is claustrophobic and disorientating. You will feel ill at ease in it.

Scam #2: My key had a number in the one hundreds on it, leading me (like many others) to assume I was going to be on the first floor. Another small way of hoodwinking customers. The receptionist even sweetly passed me a card with the wireless code on it - knowing, all the while, that I wouldn't be getting wireless (or more than one flickering bar of mobile reception) in that subterranean hole.

Scam #3: The room was under the floor of what presumably is the function room, on club night. I could hear the base from the speakers through the ceiling until 2 am. I rang reception a couple of times (holding the phone towards the sound, in comic bewilderment) and they apologised - offering another room "But it will have to be another room in the basement".

Scam #4: The secondary bathroom light didn't work; the toilet wasn't screwed to the floor properly and the TV remote didn't work. The volume and channel control on the TV itself didn't work either. I wasn't in Brighton to watch TV, but these trappings were presumably there to look like I was in a hotel room. Outfits like this count on short, 'never again' stays. It's very likely the TV hadn't worked for many people, for many years.

And hey, it's not 'like Fawlty Towers'. Basil never charged the Major £50 for a G&T, then poured him a glass of tap water.

Do not - repeat - do not allow this nasty little outfit to take your money. If you do go, make sure you're not staying in the basement - and double check the room numbers. That this sort of hole exists is an embarrassment to that city.

Room Tip: If they're offering you a basement room, run for the hills.
    • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends