“Ropey!!”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in April 2014, I think the last time the room was decorated was about 50 years ago. Everything is old and tatty, not just the room the communal areas too. No safe. There was a contraption in the room that might have been referred to as a TV back in the 80's. There is no parking and the map they give you to the nearest parking is not at all helpful - we ended up parking on the main road. Check out time is 10am but we had a maid banging on our door at 9am.
The only positive thing about it is the location opposite on the pier.
Would not recommend and definitely won't be returning!
And am still completely mystified as to who would ever give this hotel a rating above average??

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susana B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,021)

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel many times. I am noticing big increasing in prices and given the hotel is generally old in terms of decor I feel it no longer offers good value. I recently had an evening meal there was poor and lacked any taste. On the positive side nice bar with views to the sea

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank John0612
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My parents stayed here while visiting Brighton for the marathon.

First things first, the location is perfect - right by the pier and ideal for the marathon route. Unfortunately that was its only plus.

The room was tiny, windowless and shabby, and helpfully located directly below the hotel's very own nightclub (which the hotel didn't think was worth mentioning to two pensioners as they checked in). When my mother asked to change rooms at 2am, we were told by the desk clerk that none were available. After complaining to the supervisor, and later the manager, it transpired that alternative rooms were available, and that the receptionist and supervisor had been lying, and my parents were moved to another windowless room, shabbier than the first, but away from the nightclub.

I would not recommend this "hotel" to an enemy.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mtvpaul
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife booked this hotel and then texted me at work to tell me she'd done it. I looked at the reviews on Trip Adviser and have to say I was not looking forward to our stay at all! We'd booked a family room with a sea view and breakfast the next morning. It was with trepidation that we turned up and booked in. From the moment we reached the check in desk however our minds were changed. The staff couldn't be more friendly if they tried giving us a very warm welcome! Our room was huge and certainly gave us a sea view. My youngest daughter went to sleep in her bed the night we stayed insisting that we keep the curtains open so that she could watch the pier from bed. We all had a great night's sleep and went down to breakfast the next morning. Incidentally, daddy was in big trouble for making coffee at 6.30 in the morning. Breakfast was lovely, our only complaint was that there were no mushrooms (my wife being a mushroom addict). All in all I don't think that we could have had a better stay. It's a huge hotel with the problems that go with the upkeep of such a large building. It's not The Grand but it doesn't profess to be. I would have no qualms in staying here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 134, a massive room with a fantastic view of the pier.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris J
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Parking - don't even think about it!
Cleanliness - had to wipe our feet on the way out.
Decor - In dire need of another fire to improve standards, *could* be an amazing hotel
Food - thankfully didn't get that opportunity (fantastic cafés/restaurants locally)
Staff - helpful and very friendly

Room Tip: Choose another hotel....
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Guccig00
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The hotel overall could do with a lot of up dating the bathrooms were in poor condition and the windows need double glazing as it let the cold in. I know we were on a special rate but it would not encourage me to come back their. The one redeeming feature were the staff they were extremely helpful polite and nothing was to much trouble for them especially the service manager on the front desk the breakfast was excellent all u could eat self service buffet and was of good standard. The hotel is right on the seafront and is about 10 mins walk to the main shops in Brighton

Room Tip: Rooms on sea facing may be better with a view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina B
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel is in the perfect location but it has to be one of the worse hotels i've ever stayed in! The bathrooms are falling apart, plaster falling off the walls in a lot of the areas in the hotel.

I didn't even have a shower the next morning as I felt I would come out dirtier!

Don't make the same mistake as me! Please avoid!

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business