“Where has Basil Fawltys' hotel inspector gone?....He would have a field day!”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

OK, so we all know Brightons great and it can be expensive to stay there at weekends and holiday times, and we're still happy to pay a little extra to be there. Until, that is, you book in to the Royal Albion. Royal indeed? This place is a disgrace and should be razed to the ground. Plaster missing from the walls, damp patches everywhere, one dodgy old lift serving over 500 rooms and an average guest age of 70+. My first visit to the breakfast room was my last.....disgusting looking mass produced bacon and sausages, scrambled egg (I think) looked like curdled custard (if such a thing exists), a huge platter of soggy thin toast, and queues of elderly guests shuffling down the line.
If this hotel has any redeeming feature it is its location but the homeless outside appear, on this occasion, to have got it right....make the same decision they did and stay out of the Albion........it's a glorified old people's home, and its not even glorified......even Mr Fawlty and good old Manuel could do better, at least they only had a pig-e-on the roof, we came back to one walking around our room

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank ant_cun
RoyalAlbion715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

We are undergoing a major refurbishment programme with work being done on the outside and inside of the building, unfortunately some of the bedrooms are yet to be completed.

The Royal Albion Hotel is a grade two listed building and as such we are prohibited from altering certain aspects of the hotel, including layout and the addition of a secondary lift.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in future to enjoy what I hope can be a more pleasant stay.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Reading previous reviews one wonders what people expect for small money The position is ab amazing with fine views of the pier and sea Sure it is not so well looked after but really cant see them making much on their prices Seems like older coach tourers who have an aversion to stairs and an affinity with fried food Breakfast was OK for the money and I am a hardened vegetarian Service was good and I think lots of this criticism is unfounded as some of these people are expecting far too much for small lolly Its fine really!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank shakirayork

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our product and service, and it looks like we came up trumps on both aspects for your stay.

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Horrendous hotel. Filthy, delapidated rooms. The rooms are never cleaned during your stay, the towels are just changed and the beds made (the same sheets the whole week). The breakfast is maybe, just maybe, good enough to serve to animals.
The reception staff do the best that they can, but they have nothing to work with. If you get one of the rooms with blood stained carpets, or layers of dust thick enough to write your name in, they do try hard to apologise and move you to a slightly less horrific room.
The manager is seemingly under the impression that he's running a 5 star hotel, as he walks his dog through The Albion with an air of disdain, and delights in being rude to paying customers.
Do yourself a favour. There are many hotels in Brighton in the same price bracket. Use one.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank mikeyfingers

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

I can only apologise that the food was not of a satisfactory standard. We serve the food in our largest room in the hotel and offer people a choice of a Full English Breakfast, or for lunch and dinner a choice of starters, mains and desserts. The majority of our customers are very happy with this choice.

We are a dog/cat friendly hotel.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.

Kind regards

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Staff are actually very nice but the hotel it's self is not worth the 580 I paid for 4 nights.
I wouldn't recommend it and actually felt sorry for the many older people staying here as they all look very disappointed.

The hotel is in a good location but that's about it!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank goworkandtravel

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that certain aspects of the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is not the most modern or clean hotel but the position opposite the pier with views looking towards the Marina are great. Nice bar on corner of hotel with reasonable pricing. Great for watching the world go by. Great value afternoon teas. Get a room up the top on the front corner as this offers the best views of the beach, marina and pier. Well places for attractions bars etc. Rooms and restaurant could do with an up date and basement toilets (general public) are not very handy. Staff all very pleasant would stay again.

Room Tip: Front or corner looking towards the marina on top floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham D

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I was pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us.

We are undergoing a major refurbishment programme with work being done on the outside and inside of the building.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Brighton in the future,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

we had the hardest bed i have ever slept on and to have one very small lift for the size of the hotel is crazy .especially when you have lots of senior citizens in hotel and worse for us because my partner is in a wheelchair.

Room Tip: dont have room 120 no view cant open window just pipes and darkness and room 105 bed like a rock
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Betty E

Dear guest,

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been in this hotel for 2 nights. The location is great and staff very nice. Wifi in the lobby. There is also a bar inside the hotel - these are the strongest points.

The weak points are:
- very dated, old carpets, design, old TV without a few buttons and fatigued remote control
- my room was close to the stairs, next to the place where housekeeping staff were placing their trolleys - I have been woken up by noises and voices from behind the doors around 6-7am - very annoing
- there wasn't "a view" from my room at all - walls and pipes made it very dark
- no wifi in the room - actually even problem with a signal (but it may be because I have been downstairs)

There wasn't anything to make me want to come back.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms downstairs - noisy, no wifi and no view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo