“Mr & Mrs Essex”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The negative reviews are completely warranted. Stayed for 2 nights and would not return. The room was the best of a bad bunch, having turned down 2 rooms, this room only had a broken jacuzzi bath ( staff aware as it had been reported a couple of weeks previously) broken air conditioning and broken drawer front on dressing table ( I mended that!). Had a sea view which was the only redeeming feature. Whole place is very shabby and in need of a good clean. Breakfast is a nightmare - queues and no tables free. Many older people carrying hot plates to an overspill area and accidents waiting to happen. It is a disgrace that a large hotel chain like Britannia allow this hotel to fall further into decline. There is no excuse for poor housekeeping. Yes, ironing boards and used crockery littering the corridors for the duration of my stay. Lastly, I have taken better furniture to the tip. I think the 3 star rating on this hotel should be reviewed! I wonder whether the Britannia Executives read these reviews because I cant find any response from them to address the 1,000 plus negative reviews.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank maureelo
RoyalAlbion715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Royal Albion Hotel.

My maintenance staff try to deal with all issues as soon as they are informed of them. I am sorry to hear you had such issues in your bedroom. It seems this room is not up to our usual standard.

We are undergoing a major refurbishment programme with work being done on the outside and inside of the building, unfortunately some of the bedrooms are yet to be completed.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were staying in Brighton for the evening of the London to Brighton bike ride.

The saving grace for this hotel is the location - it is right opposite the pier and if you have a sea view room you can see the pier from your window... that unfortunately is where the good things end.

When I got to the reception to book in I witnessed someone else complaining rather indepth about the state of her family room. This filled me with hope (Ha!)

It has a tiny lift for the size of the hotel but it did at least work which was a bonus but you can wait for some time while it stops at every floor.

I checked into my room and was made to pay in advance rather than on check out, I am guessing this is because you'd probably refuse to pay if you had to do it at the end! My first impression of my room is that it was pretty shabby and needed TLC. The wallpaper was all crinkled which looked as though it had perhaps been damp and dried out and never settled back down properly. The paint work was flaking and dirty, the windows were dirty (but mine did at least open), tea/coffee was basic (non-branded). There was no towel/mat for the bathroom floor so you slip when you get out of the bath (great when there are signs to tell you the floor will be slippery - well provide something to stop it then?!!). The shower itself worked OK but sounded like it was about to fall apart! Towels were TINY! Shower curtain was falling down. Air conditioning didn't seem to work and room was hot. Remote control wasn't working for the TV but surprised it even had one the TV was that old! Curtains in main room were also hanging off the rail. Curtains let in so much light that at 5am I was awake. Managed to doze back off and then was woken up to the sound of dripping, thought it was coming from the air conditioning unit but discovered on investigation that it was in fact the ceiling dripping which left a big wet mark on the carpet. I can only guess that the guests above were in the bath/shower and it was leaking and dripping through our ceiling somehow. Breakfast wasn't great, it was normal stuff but processed sausages and it all tasted like it was from the basic range. Disappointing and so many people crammed into the one room it wasn't a pleasant experience.

We walked down the stairs to breakfast instead of waiting for the slow lift and all the walls in the stairwells are falling apart, plaster hanging off the wall or big holes in them. There are signs up saying they apologise for how it looks but it is due to storm damage and they are having to wait until the walls dry out.

The place next door had apparently been condemmed and was shut down due to storm damage and to be honest I think this should have been too! It's a shame because it is perfect in terms of location and if they ripped out the insides and started again it could be amazing.

Perhaps they could use some of the £135 per night they charged to do some of the repairs. I have stayed in far nicer hotels in London for less money. I feel that we were a captive audience, there was no point in complaining at the time as it wasn't like we could go elsewhere as with the London to Brighton bike ride everywhere was packed out and booked.

I personally wouldn't recommend this hotel but I leave the decision up to you!

4  Thank Caroline I

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

I take your comments about our staff very seriously and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the levels of customer service.

The Royal Albion Hotel is a grade two listed building and as such we are prohibited from altering certain aspects of the hotel, including layout and the addition of a secondary lift.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Staying just one night thank heavens! Can I suggest that if was the last hotel in Brighton, sleep in your car, under the pier, on the beach anywhere except this awful hotel. Tried to put me in a room with no windows, which is quite normal apparently! Dirty rooms in a dirty hotel avoid at all costs.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank andy654

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

Our hotel has 208 rooms in total, just 7 of them has no windows. Rooms without windows are fited with the proper ventilation.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

kind regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We booked up for a lovely overnight stay paying extra for a sea view and late checkout. What we got was disappointing and over priced! When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised, the reception was clean and looked in keeping with what you would expect from
a hotel this expensive. Then it all went rapidly downhill! We waited a good 20 minutes to be checked in by a miserable woman who didn't once smile and did not offer any welcome to us. We were given a room on the 3rd floor and as there was a queue for the only lift we decided to take the stairs, this gave us our first clue to the true state of this hotel. The plaster was falling off the walls, in places there were huge holes. Damp patches on all walls and ceilings and a distinct musty smell and, in addition to this, all the landings had dirty plates and glasses left around for what turned out to be, the weekend! On reaching our room what we found was substandard. A dirty, mouldy bathroom with no ventilation and very poorly lit. The shower curtain rail hanging off, in fact I fixed this myself before I left! The bedroom was dirty, the sea view was only visible when the window was open due to the window being so dirty. The window and frame itself was held together with what seemed to be plaster and had very little paint left on it and the wood was rotten. The furniture was old and severely damaged and the tv was old and dirty and it didn't have any freeview due to it's age. The bed linen at least, though, was clean, although the bed was old and uncomfortable. We had a kettle and a couple of no name tea bags and coffee and a couple of cartons of milk, however, there was only one electrical socket for the lamp, kettle and tv! The tv was on a small stand that, when you were in bed and anywhere else in the room in fact, meant the tv was not visible I, therefore, had to pick up the tv and place it on the dressing table to be able to to watch it, that was, of course, in between boiling the kettle for a drink using the only socket! All surfaces in the room were dusty and in places actually dirty with dirty cup marks and spilt drinks. There was a guide to Brighton book in the room which had been used as a cup coaster by previous guests who'd had hot chocolate and this hadn't even been wiped off. The air conditioning did not work and the curtains were hanging from the rail. There was a distinct lack of pride and care by room attendants. The only positive this about our room was the carpet which seemed relatively new.
We had paid for an evening meal and breakfast so after a day in the sun we went to the restaurant for our evening meal. The food was self service and had clearly been there, under the heat lamps, for some considerable time. The vegetables were all dried up and hard, the chips were the same and the rest was unappealing and sloppy. Desert was a chocolate cake which was melted due to lack of cooling and extreme heat from the heat lamps over the hot food! All in all pretty dire! The breakfast was much the same. Juice out of a machine, lack of care and attention from waiting staff meant there were never any clean plates or cups and saucers. Food was not cooked properly and boring! Everything looked like it had been done on the cheap, which is ironic considering the cost to the customer! The staff seated us outside due to a lack of clean tables, when we asked if people would be smoking out there we were told no, however, we were surrounded by 3 tables of people smoking so my wife complained to the waiter who did precisely NOTHING! I don't know why I expected that they'd be compliant with food hygiene laws!
We had paid for a late checkout but quite frankly couldn't wait to get out! On check out, once again no smiles and no one asked if we'd enjoyed our stay, I expect they know better!
Clearly we will not be returning to this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone else. There's a campsite up the road that's for better/cleaner amenities!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Millervanilla
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Situated in fantastic position .. First impression faded and tired .. Closer inspection ... DIRE .. Out of our 3 rooms all bathrooms black with mould .. Furnishings in poor order .. Staff rude and off hand .. Long overdue repairs needed in all rooms ... Never again

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank megastressy1966
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I paid £195 for a night in a double room. The hotel was filthy dirty from the reception right up to the 5th floor where my room was. This hotel needs to be completely emptied and cleaned throughout from top to bottom. Every where you walk you can feel stickiness on your shoes from the stale drinks. The room was awful, the bathroom required (guess what) a decent clean. The shower was pathetic. Breakfast was a Joy (no I am kidding) it was awful. The food was only just warm; there was no service at all. The staff was too busy trying to get the tables cleared for the next lot coming in. There clearly wasn’t enough staff. I will never stay at this hotel again. My suggestion is that you find somewhere worth the money that you will be paying.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
1  Thank Kevin O
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Booked as a summer weekend away for a Christmas Present – I carried out a certain amount of research and was reasonably happy that I was going to get a Superior Double Room with a sea view, overlooking Brighton Pier for two nights, including breakfast, for around £380. What we got was an oven of a box room in the roof space complete with flies, a curtain hanging off its rail and windows that were unable to be opened because they had, at some time in the distant past, been painted shut. After complaining, to Reception, and some” umming and arring” we were offered an alternative room with twin beds on the second floor. At least in this room one window opened, but had to be held open by a handy piece of wood that was placed strategically for guests to use – again all other windows had been painted shut. This room though was … “tired” – The beds were firm and clean, the sea view over Brighton Pier was what had been expected and the en-suite functional, but, nothing else warranted the hefty price tag even the television was old and was made before Freeview had ever been heard of and consequently not available. The Breakfast was just about adequate, filling, but, uninteresting – fruit juice was from a machine, toast was cold and everything else was, either, from a tin, or, heated up.
If, you visit the Royal Albion website you will find some very well staged/(possibly) photoshopped images of how the parent company, Britannia Hotels, would like to portray this establishment. I can only suggest that, if, they had spent this advertising money on updating and renovating their hotel both internally and externally then this might have been a hotel worth a stay.
Brighton, itself is a great place to visit and the hotel is ideally located for seeing the town, enjoying the sea and overlooking the pier, but, the hotel building including all of its fixtures and fittings look very “distressed” and in need of some urgent “tlc”.
I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone for the sort of money that I had to pay, but if, you get an

Room Tip: The Sea View is a plus point
2  Thank NGP1953