“The WORST Hotel I Have Ever Stayed In!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“The WORST Hotel I Have Ever Stayed In!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The very worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

It's a run down filthy mess of a hotel, that is dark and dank and an absolute disappointment.

I paid £140 for my room for 1 night, and I'd much rather the £54 Travel Lodge.

The room itself was in the basement of the hotel, it was musty and dusty. The room was filthy with thick dust everywhere, along with litter and even a glass left on the floor. I counted 11 stains on the carpet, and wouldn't walk barefoot in the room for fear of what was on / in the carpet.

Breakfast was a total joke. I had to stand for 10 minutes outside waiting for a table, as the breakfast area was far too small, with too many tables rammed together. I was constantly bumping into other people and being bumped into while eating.

In the room itself, directly outside my window was Brighton Coach Station, so all night long had coaches with engines running as well as people disembarking.

The VERY WORST thing about this hotel is a 10am checkout time!!!! Even on a Sunday morning, and if you're a few minutes late, you get charged £10!!!!!! It is appalling.

Staff all rude and dismissive, some with very basic English indeed.

All negative reviews are utterly deserved. Absolute mess of a hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Luke M
RoyalAlbion715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 24 June 2014

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

I take your comments about our staff very seriously and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the levels of customer service.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

I can only apologise that the food was not of a satisfactory standard. We serve the food in our largest room in the hotel and offer people a choice of a Full English Breakfast, or for lunch and dinner a choice of starters, mains and desserts. The majority of our customers are very happy with this choice.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Allocated a tiny room in the basement of this dump. 30 minute check-in while the receptionist struggled to find my booking, even though I had a printed copy of my booking with me which she didnt want to look at.
Tiny room. No mobile signal or wifi signal as it was in the bowels of the hotel. Asked to change rooms as being an on-call IT manager I need 24/7 access to the internet. Request turned down flat.
Room smelt fusty and was full of cheap tatty furniture with poor quality electrical wiring exposed and an ill-fitting old carpet.
Breakfast was an all-you-can-fight-for affair where the waiter alternated between hoovering the carpet and rearranging the sausages on display.
This crumbling hotel is crying out for either a full refurbishment or demolition. The worst insult was the price-£230 for 2 single rooms for one night. Royal? You're having a laugh.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Timmy T
Dear Madam,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

I will be talking to my reception and bar staff after reading your comments about their lack of customer service. As a company this is not something which we see as acceptable.

I am also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast at the hotel. We feel that we provide a great range which is enjoyed by the majority of our guests. The tea and coffee facilities are self service for the convenience of all our customers.

We are undergoing a major refurbishment programme with work being done on the outside and inside of the building, unfortunately some of the bedrooms are yet to be completed.

Kind regards,

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Horwich, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I will begin with the good points

The staff are friendly and accommodating. They do work in some very poor conditions and do their best to accommodate guests based on what they have to offer.

Location is fantastic. It's not central to Brighton, but it's right by the pier and on the major roads in and out. There are lots of little rustic restaurants within moments walk and a Sainsbury local across the road for those toiletries that you've forgotten.

The bar is reasonable in its pricing and has a card machine which helps when getting a round in.

Now the bad points

The hotel is in need of major investment and one would assume due to the aged appearance and falling down walls that it would reach into the millions to gut and put right. The decor is dated and has decided to leave the walls itself. Plaster is falling off the walls and exposing old wooden lats from when it was built. The hotel puts this down to storm damage.......

Cleanliness is a big issue. Once again the room staff work hard with what they have but the carpets are damp and in need of removing and burning. The musty smell as you go into the hotel lingers and does not ease. The windows could do with a very good clean.

Food is just ok. Some guests including myself elected to go the the local pub for breakfast after battling every morning with the other guests from coach tours that seemed to dominate the hotel throughout.

The lift is absolutely useless. For a hotel this size, there is a only one lift to service all of the rooms across the five floors. The lift will only go in order of button presses and not in logical order for example go the top floor and collect from each floor on the way down. The lift only has enough room for four people.

The room for us had a great view of the pier but the furniture was chipped and dated throughout. The bathroom was practical only with the bath side hanging off and the shower draining onto the floor. But the shower was powerful and hot and pleasant.

There are no car parking spaces even when unloading your luggage. You have to park up and pay £3.50 whilst you book in. Whilst not Brighton's fault please note that NCP charge £25.00 per day to park your car during your stay!

We couldn't find a manager to raise our concerns with but I do know that one was around when you stamped your feet loud enough.

Our sincerest sympathy go to the staff who are trying to make do and mend. Shame on Britannia Inns for allowing a hotel to become so shabby that your guests walk around with looks of disgust.

Will we return? Never!
Will we recommend? Never!
Will we be lodging a formal complaint? Absolutely!

Go at your own peril but it is not value for money and is a disgrace on the firm.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Railybobs
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

We have ongoing training with our reception staff and try our best to make the checking in process as smooth and quick as possible.

The Royal Albion Hotel is a grade two listed building and as such we are prohibited from altering certain aspects of the hotel, including layout and the addition of a secondary lift.

A Duty Manager is available 24 hours in order to speak to guests regarding there stay, I would like to apologise if this was not made know to you either during your stay or upon check out in order that we could have done something to improve your experience prior to departure.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

Kind regards,
Coventry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was booked here for a conference so didn't check it out in advance. My mistake. If I had I would have booked a cheap B&B instead.

Firstly, they cannot cope with party bookings. This resulted in an initial blank refusal to give me a room key on arrival, even though another guest in my party had vacated the room 24 hrs earlier and the arrangement to swap over had been explained several times to the hotel. Internet access only works on the Ground Floor, that is the only feature of this hotel that has made it to this century.

The room was shabby beyond belief, hot, fly infested, overlooking a waste disposal vent of some kind, with pigeons sat on my window ledge all night, (hence the flies). There was a layer of dust on the bed cover, damp stains on the walls, and the shower flooded the bathroom floor every time I used it. The flush on the toilet was really hard to use, tap water had one setting - boiling point. All the furniture and electric devices were from the mid 20th century, and have not dated well. Again the wood had stains that I would not wish to investigate, for fear of uncovering some dreadful truth about their origin.

The towels were kid size and the bed was just unpleasant to sit on, never mind sleep in. My room key failed to work at least once every day, leaving me in a 10-15 min queue at reception to get it sorted each time. The only access was via a tiny dodgy lift or four flights of the crumbling stairwell. The whole fourth floor had a deeply unpleasant odour of some sort of decay, nothing I can define, not that I want too. I didn't get a urine stained cushion in my room but another member of our party did.

I just feel sorry for the people herded here on coach trips on the pretence it is a grand seafront affair. The only potential use for this place is that it would make a great setting for some twisted gothic horror movie.

Do not book - and if you are sent here for a conference, insist you get moved on health and safety and/or sanity grounds.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank dkcov

Braintree, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The negative reviews are completely warranted. Stayed for 2 nights and would not return. The room was the best of a bad bunch, having turned down 2 rooms, this room only had a broken jacuzzi bath ( staff aware as it had been reported a couple of weeks previously) broken air conditioning and broken drawer front on dressing table ( I mended that!). Had a sea view which was the only redeeming feature. Whole place is very shabby and in need of a good clean. Breakfast is a nightmare - queues and no tables free. Many older people carrying hot plates to an overspill area and accidents waiting to happen. It is a disgrace that a large hotel chain like Britannia allow this hotel to fall further into decline. There is no excuse for poor housekeeping. Yes, ironing boards and used crockery littering the corridors for the duration of my stay. Lastly, I have taken better furniture to the tip. I think the 3 star rating on this hotel should be reviewed! I wonder whether the Britannia Executives read these reviews because I cant find any response from them to address the 1,000 plus negative reviews.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank maureelo
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Royal Albion Hotel.

My maintenance staff try to deal with all issues as soon as they are informed of them. I am sorry to hear you had such issues in your bedroom. It seems this room is not up to our usual standard.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were staying in Brighton for the evening of the London to Brighton bike ride.

The saving grace for this hotel is the location - it is right opposite the pier and if you have a sea view room you can see the pier from your window... that unfortunately is where the good things end.

When I got to the reception to book in I witnessed someone else complaining rather indepth about the state of her family room. This filled me with hope (Ha!)

It has a tiny lift for the size of the hotel but it did at least work which was a bonus but you can wait for some time while it stops at every floor.

I checked into my room and was made to pay in advance rather than on check out, I am guessing this is because you'd probably refuse to pay if you had to do it at the end! My first impression of my room is that it was pretty shabby and needed TLC. The wallpaper was all crinkled which looked as though it had perhaps been damp and dried out and never settled back down properly. The paint work was flaking and dirty, the windows were dirty (but mine did at least open), tea/coffee was basic (non-branded). There was no towel/mat for the bathroom floor so you slip when you get out of the bath (great when there are signs to tell you the floor will be slippery - well provide something to stop it then?!!). The shower itself worked OK but sounded like it was about to fall apart! Towels were TINY! Shower curtain was falling down. Air conditioning didn't seem to work and room was hot. Remote control wasn't working for the TV but surprised it even had one the TV was that old! Curtains in main room were also hanging off the rail. Curtains let in so much light that at 5am I was awake. Managed to doze back off and then was woken up to the sound of dripping, thought it was coming from the air conditioning unit but discovered on investigation that it was in fact the ceiling dripping which left a big wet mark on the carpet. I can only guess that the guests above were in the bath/shower and it was leaking and dripping through our ceiling somehow. Breakfast wasn't great, it was normal stuff but processed sausages and it all tasted like it was from the basic range. Disappointing and so many people crammed into the one room it wasn't a pleasant experience.

We walked down the stairs to breakfast instead of waiting for the slow lift and all the walls in the stairwells are falling apart, plaster hanging off the wall or big holes in them. There are signs up saying they apologise for how it looks but it is due to storm damage and they are having to wait until the walls dry out.

The place next door had apparently been condemmed and was shut down due to storm damage and to be honest I think this should have been too! It's a shame because it is perfect in terms of location and if they ripped out the insides and started again it could be amazing.

Perhaps they could use some of the £135 per night they charged to do some of the repairs. I have stayed in far nicer hotels in London for less money. I feel that we were a captive audience, there was no point in complaining at the time as it wasn't like we could go elsewhere as with the London to Brighton bike ride everywhere was packed out and booked.

I personally wouldn't recommend this hotel but I leave the decision up to you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Caroline I

andy654
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Staying just one night thank heavens! Can I suggest that if was the last hotel in Brighton, sleep in your car, under the pier, on the beach anywhere except this awful hotel. Tried to put me in a room with no windows, which is quite normal apparently! Dirty rooms in a dirty hotel avoid at all costs.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank andy654
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

Our hotel has 208 rooms in total, just 7 of them has no windows. Rooms without windows are fited with the proper ventilation.

kind regards,