“Pride” 4 of 5 bubbles

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Pride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Second time staying at the Albion during Brighton gay pride , yes it's a little dates but the rooms are enormous ours had an added living room which we used as dressing room during our stay. I loved the free standing bath in the bay window . Breakfast was delicious

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank robert k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Sadly I had the misfortune to stay this hotel on 26th & 27th of July 2014 and feel I need to advise all you would be visitors out there. I paid a lot of money for a sea view room however I could not view the sea due to the dirty uncleaned windows... I must try to upload some photos, you wont believe it. The room was dirty with wall paper pealing off, the cornice falling from the ceiling and the carpet badly stained. The main stair way to the floors had towels soaking up water leaking down the walls. I took my elderly father to Brighton for his birthday and bless him, he filled his water bottle from the tap in the bathroom, and I accidentally drank from the bottle. Both my father and I were violently ill...poisoned by the dirty water.
The very poor and unacceptable state of the hotel was only out shone by the rude and inept staff. I tried to arrange some room service and dialled the room service number for a full 20 minutes before I gave up and walked down to reception. The receptionist advised me quite curtly that she was "to busy"to answer the phone. I might add.. She was not so busy to not take a fag break at the front door. I never got the room service. When I reported the drunk urinating in the corridor upstairs I was advised that they would clean it the next day when the cleaners came back on duty.
I'm not sure which was worst, this or the guy in the front lounge hanging out the window smoking dope at approx 3pm in the afternoon.
I was thinking about reporting this hotel to the authorities but what is the point, they obviously do not care. The TV in our rom was run off steam and did not work. I was keen to watch the high lights of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow so waited patiently for an hour for the maintenance man to arrive. I'm not sure what was more surprising, the fact that he was drunk or the fact he used a screw driver to turn on the TV what was plugged into the electrical socket. I could go on an on but I think you get the idea. Brighton this is so sad and you should be ashamed to allow this kind of thing to continue. Is this really how you want visitors to remember your town? I cant even compare this hotel to Fawlty Towers since at least Towers was funny, this is just a disgrace,sad, sad, sad. Avoid this place at all costs.. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Dont go to this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Andrew M

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

hillingdon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed at the Albion a few times over a year ago so went back this weekend and the hotel is in desperate need of decorating. Wall paper coming of, damp patches all over the room, carpet had filthy marks all over it, bath had great big chips on the bottom and generally in really poor condition. Really disappointed as the money we were charged certainly wasn't worth it. Also staff could do with some customer service training as came across quite rude and unhelpful. All in all, won't be staying here again and would recommend others to look at different hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
4 Thank neweyHillingdon
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This is our second time staying here, 2 very different experiences!! Last time we had the tiniest room ever with a window that was barely worth having!! Looked straight onto a wall and barely opened, however it was clean and the bed was comfortable. This time we had a bigger room, with a beautiful sea view and to our pleasant surprise a jacuzzi bath. However I haven't had a nights sleep this bad in many many years. The bed is so uncomfortable, we are aching all over. Also, no spare pillows, just one each. The towels are tiny (not ideal when you're 7 months pregnant!) and we only had enough for one person. I'm sure there are worse hotels, but just the bed alone has made me never want to return. Also very loud due to the bars and clubs near by (I realise I now just sound like a moaning old woman..... This is what pregnancy has done to me!!)

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank laurajade64
Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

First impressions...queuing to check in behind a lady who was complaining that she had water pouring through her ceiling for the third day running and she had been asking to be moved every day...the next guy was complaining that his toilet was blocked, he was moved to another room. I was given my room number and set off down many steps and through many doors until I eventually reached the bowels of the hotel. It was actually a bit scary as I was a lone female - I'm sure no-one would have heard me screaming! AND there was NO WINDOW in my room. On the plus side it was a boiling hot day and it was cool in the room as it never saw the sun! However, it was also damp. The bed felt damp as did the carpets. I just about managed to stand it for a night but could not have gone back into that room. Its number 163 if you feel the need to experience what its like to be held hostage. On the plus staff the poor harassed staff were pleasant and the location is great. And it was about half the price of everywhere else. You get what you pay for but I do think a window isn't much to ask for!

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 163!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank annelizabethSurrey
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Ok it's in a great location, but you don't get what you pay for. Scruffy and falling apart at the seams. Needs knocking down and starting again. Stayed for my hen weekend and thankfully spent most of our time in town and not in our room.
Avoid avoid avoid

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank POOLIEJOOLIE
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We did not expect a great deal from this hotel my partner had secured a good price for two nights before she read the reviews. It is not all bad depending on your expectations for the price you pay. The room itself was dated with worn carpets but also clean with a large bathroom. There was a comedy moment when I complained that the air conditioning was not working only to be told it was not working in any room and given an extra fan! The staff are polite but do appear to be going through the motions. The one evening meal we had was poor so we ate out as there are many lovely restaurants nearby. The breakfast was perfectly adequate but uninspiring.There are signs saying the hotel is awaiting repairs following storm damage.The great location by the pier and close to town is the only real attraction.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple