“Don't do it”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Wish I had taken more notice of other reviews , save your money and sleep on the beach ?? The only good thing was its location ( but location is not everything !! ) the superior room , wallpaper hanging off ,mouldy ( this was due to storm damage / the storm of 1987 ? ) the overall condition of a superior room was poor for the price paid ? Carpet heavily stained , furniture tired old fashion TV by today's standards .

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank IainR401

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Booked a two night family stay. Location fantastic that's all. We were put in the far reaches of the basement. Met some very strange people on the way, did not feel safe for my family. Room was damp wallpaper falling off wall Capet stained walls dirty, toilet smelled, really bad.
Got full refund and stayed in Jury's Inn for nearly same money. A great stay after all.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank JoeMcCarthy6
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I don't normally bother with these review sites, but after my stay at the Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton, I think other potential guests should be warned. It's very sad how this hotel has ended up, you can imagine how it would have been many years ago, I would think it would have been the place to stay, but sadly not anymore. I stayed last week while on a National holidays tour. The place is simply apalling. We checked in on arrival and the first room we were allocated was on the first floor, The room was stuffy, warm and cramped. The window was wedged open with a piece of wood and approximately 18 inches beyond the window and the full height of the window was a brick wall, holes had been roughly knocked through the wall to allow pipes to run through, the only view was through these holes onto a concrete platform covered in “dog ends”. We did consider simply closing the window and using the air conditioning, but as the air conditioning didn’t seem to work we went back to reception to ask for a change of room.

There was a queue of guests all apparently doing the same! We were told the air conditioning didn’t work in any part of the hotel and were given a basement room. This room was dark as once again it had no view, the only view we had looking through the fithy net curtain was of another brick wall approximately 3 feet away at the other side of the “moat” which surrounded the hotel, we again returned to reception and were told there were no more rooms.

We were told our evening meal would be served at 7.15 pm, I could not believe when we arrived at the dining room the utter chaos. We were told to find a table with a red serviette where we could eat our meal. There were very few tables, certainly not enough for the numbers, we were eventually told to sit at a table with a green serviette, and we had to share with a couple who had been split from another 2 of their party.

The dining room was cramped with people coming from all directions, with plates of hot food, definitely an accident waiting to happen, the tables weren’t being cleared of empty crockery, or wiped clean except by guests using serviettes, staff just seemed to be standing around.

The food was self service and it was utter chaos, having to wait for “fresh” food to be brought out as trays were quickly emptied by the ever increasing queues of people trying to eat.

I considered the food to be of very poor quality and the whole dining experience was just catastrophic, lots of people were arguing over tables and complaining about the total disorder and poor quality of the food.

There were no tablecloths, and it was obvious that absolutely no effort had been or was being made to add to the comfort of the guests.

This is without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed, and I can only hope that after reading this review, other potential guests will think twice before booking.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BTF999
Reviewed 30 July 2014

sadly I stayed at the hotel 25-26th july 2014 and I feel I need to let you know that this hotel was worse than staying in a £9 per night hostel. We paid a lot of money to stay and it was a special treat for my elderly parents birthday. I had stayed in the Albion some years prior to this stay and it was beautiful hence that's why I decided to go back. The rooms we in a desperate state of repair and decoration was tatty and very dirty. We were unable to look out of our windows as the curtains were hanging off of the curtain rail and the nets were filthy and had cigarette holes in them. The bathroom facilities were awful and dirty tiles covered in mould and sinks cracked. The bed linen was dirty and the burgundy throws had white stains all over them ...........no toilet rolls in bathrooms and tea and coffee making facilities without the tea and coffee making facilities, the bar area was not any better having ordered a pot of tea and a coffee I had to ask 3 times for the tea cup to be changed as it was filthy. When you go to a hotel and pay the money we paid especially in this economic climate you expect value for money and this hotel certainly does not provide that. It also proved to be a health and safety issue as our room sash windows could not be opened and the secondary double glazing unit would not shut, leaving us vaunerable to the public. I have written to Britannia Hotels limited who own this establishment and they have replied that they will let the Albion know and THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.....talk is cheap I will never stay there again and I want compensation not talk. Be warned stay there at your peril.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jacqui k
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel has a wonderful location opposite Brighton Pier - but that's about all there is to say that is positive. The rooms are shabby and outdated. We had two rooms and one only had skylights for windows. The second had a small window looking out to the sea, but it was filthy. There was a queue of people waiting to check in when we arrived and one young lady on duty.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Second time staying at the Albion during Brighton gay pride , yes it's a little dates but the rooms are enormous ours had an added living room which we used as dressing room during our stay. I loved the free standing bath in the bay window . Breakfast was delicious

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank robert k
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Sadly I had the misfortune to stay this hotel on 26th & 27th of July 2014 and feel I need to advise all you would be visitors out there. I paid a lot of money for a sea view room however I could not view the sea due to the dirty uncleaned windows... I must try to upload some photos, you wont believe it. The room was dirty with wall paper pealing off, the cornice falling from the ceiling and the carpet badly stained. The main stair way to the floors had towels soaking up water leaking down the walls. I took my elderly father to Brighton for his birthday and bless him, he filled his water bottle from the tap in the bathroom, and I accidentally drank from the bottle. Both my father and I were violently ill...poisoned by the dirty water.
The very poor and unacceptable state of the hotel was only out shone by the rude and inept staff. I tried to arrange some room service and dialled the room service number for a full 20 minutes before I gave up and walked down to reception. The receptionist advised me quite curtly that she was "to busy"to answer the phone. I might add.. She was not so busy to not take a fag break at the front door. I never got the room service. When I reported the drunk urinating in the corridor upstairs I was advised that they would clean it the next day when the cleaners came back on duty.
I'm not sure which was worst, this or the guy in the front lounge hanging out the window smoking dope at approx 3pm in the afternoon.
I was thinking about reporting this hotel to the authorities but what is the point, they obviously do not care. The TV in our rom was run off steam and did not work. I was keen to watch the high lights of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow so waited patiently for an hour for the maintenance man to arrive. I'm not sure what was more surprising, the fact that he was drunk or the fact he used a screw driver to turn on the TV what was plugged into the electrical socket. I could go on an on but I think you get the idea. Brighton this is so sad and you should be ashamed to allow this kind of thing to continue. Is this really how you want visitors to remember your town? I cant even compare this hotel to Fawlty Towers since at least Towers was funny, this is just a disgrace,sad, sad, sad. Avoid this place at all costs.. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Dont go to this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family