“AVOID!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“AVOID!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We arrived at the Albion with high hopes. We checked in easily and headed for the room. The first thing upon opening the door was the overwhelming smell of smoke, upon reporting this to reception we were told that is probably coming up from the floor below that is a smoking floor!!!!
We went out for our meal and returned to a room that was hotter than an oven. Air con did not work. We reported to reception who sent up a desk fan!!! The window open and the fan made no difference and sleeping was impossible. The bathroom was dirty and the carpet mouldy, the bed had no bottom sheet and the mattress incredibly stained (yes I have photographic evidence!).
We were moved the next day (while we were out trying to enjoy the rest of Brighton on no sleep). Upon entering the *new* room, there was an overpowering damp smell, but at least it wasn't so hot you couldn't breathe! It was still VERY warm though (this was February to put things into context), so we cracked the window the 2" it would open and tried to put on the air con. Again - it didn't work. Hardly surprised us to be honest! But still, we got some sleep - I mean, the outside noise cannot be helped by the hotel. Upon awaking bright (?) and early the next day, I tried to use the shower ..... which plain and simply DID NOT WORK! I had to laugh - this was a treat for my birthday and had become some kind of disastrous farce!!!

Niggles: food was substandard (breakfast only, wasn't risking anything else!), wifi did not work even on ground floor as claimed, decor and furniture in need of upgrade, damp everywhere not just bedrooms.

I shall stick to what I know next time. Very very disappointed. Very poor. (took me this long to get over it!)

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Yvonne W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Wish I had taken more notice of other reviews , save your money and sleep on the beach ?? The only good thing was its location ( but location is not everything !! ) the superior room , wallpaper hanging off ,mouldy ( this was due to storm damage / the storm of 1987 ? ) the overall condition of a superior room was poor for the price paid ? Carpet heavily stained , furniture tired old fashion TV by today's standards .

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank IainR401

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Booked a two night family stay. Location fantastic that's all. We were put in the far reaches of the basement. Met some very strange people on the way, did not feel safe for my family. Room was damp wallpaper falling off wall Capet stained walls dirty, toilet smelled, really bad.
Got full refund and stayed in Jury's Inn for nearly same money. A great stay after all.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
4 Thank JoeMcCarthy6
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I don't normally bother with these review sites, but after my stay at the Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton, I think other potential guests should be warned. It's very sad how this hotel has ended up, you can imagine how it would have been many years ago, I would think it would have been the place to stay, but sadly not anymore. I stayed last week while on a National holidays tour. The place is simply apalling. We checked in on arrival and the first room we were allocated was on the first floor, The room was stuffy, warm and cramped. The window was wedged open with a piece of wood and approximately 18 inches beyond the window and the full height of the window was a brick wall, holes had been roughly knocked through the wall to allow pipes to run through, the only view was through these holes onto a concrete platform covered in “dog ends”. We did consider simply closing the window and using the air conditioning, but as the air conditioning didn’t seem to work we went back to reception to ask for a change of room.

There was a queue of guests all apparently doing the same! We were told the air conditioning didn’t work in any part of the hotel and were given a basement room. This room was dark as once again it had no view, the only view we had looking through the fithy net curtain was of another brick wall approximately 3 feet away at the other side of the “moat” which surrounded the hotel, we again returned to reception and were told there were no more rooms.

We were told our evening meal would be served at 7.15 pm, I could not believe when we arrived at the dining room the utter chaos. We were told to find a table with a red serviette where we could eat our meal. There were very few tables, certainly not enough for the numbers, we were eventually told to sit at a table with a green serviette, and we had to share with a couple who had been split from another 2 of their party.

The dining room was cramped with people coming from all directions, with plates of hot food, definitely an accident waiting to happen, the tables weren’t being cleared of empty crockery, or wiped clean except by guests using serviettes, staff just seemed to be standing around.

The food was self service and it was utter chaos, having to wait for “fresh” food to be brought out as trays were quickly emptied by the ever increasing queues of people trying to eat.

I considered the food to be of very poor quality and the whole dining experience was just catastrophic, lots of people were arguing over tables and complaining about the total disorder and poor quality of the food.

There were no tablecloths, and it was obvious that absolutely no effort had been or was being made to add to the comfort of the guests.

This is without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed, and I can only hope that after reading this review, other potential guests will think twice before booking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
4 Thank BTF999
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

sadly I stayed at the hotel 25-26th july 2014 and I feel I need to let you know that this hotel was worse than staying in a £9 per night hostel. We paid a lot of money to stay and it was a special treat for my elderly parents birthday. I had stayed in the Albion some years prior to this stay and it was beautiful hence that's why I decided to go back. The rooms we in a desperate state of repair and decoration was tatty and very dirty. We were unable to look out of our windows as the curtains were hanging off of the curtain rail and the nets were filthy and had cigarette holes in them. The bathroom facilities were awful and dirty tiles covered in mould and sinks cracked. The bed linen was dirty and the burgundy throws had white stains all over them ...........no toilet rolls in bathrooms and tea and coffee making facilities without the tea and coffee making facilities, the bar area was not any better having ordered a pot of tea and a coffee I had to ask 3 times for the tea cup to be changed as it was filthy. When you go to a hotel and pay the money we paid especially in this economic climate you expect value for money and this hotel certainly does not provide that. It also proved to be a health and safety issue as our room sash windows could not be opened and the secondary double glazing unit would not shut, leaving us vaunerable to the public. I have written to Britannia Hotels limited who own this establishment and they have replied that they will let the Albion know and THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.....talk is cheap I will never stay there again and I want compensation not talk. Be warned stay there at your peril.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jacqui k
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel has a wonderful location opposite Brighton Pier - but that's about all there is to say that is positive. The rooms are shabby and outdated. We had two rooms and one only had skylights for windows. The second had a small window looking out to the sea, but it was filthy. There was a queue of people waiting to check in when we arrived and one young lady on duty.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sue R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Second time staying at the Albion during Brighton gay pride , yes it's a little dates but the rooms are enormous ours had an added living room which we used as dressing room during our stay. I loved the free standing bath in the bay window . Breakfast was delicious

Stayed August 2013