“Worst in my life” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Padua, Italy
“Worst in my life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Room awful, dirty, unfriendly employees only exception the spanish bell man. It rains inside, you really can't wait to leave. It should be closed by public authorities. A shame for England. Don't ask information at the reception: they are of no help. Elevator was broken and had to carry luggage to third floor. Guess what? There are also undeground rooms. NEVER BEEN IN SUCH AN AWFUL PLACE!!! Pictures in the official site are a pure fraud. Finally a nice 2.30 am fire alert makes your night worst than worst

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank afrikan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

When we arrived the receptionists seemed to be really unorganised and you could tell that they were short staffed. When we finally got to the desk the receptionist was too busy helping her colleague to acknowledge our booking and we were standing there for a good 5 minutes before given our key.

We went down to the restaurant at 4pm as advised so we could book a table for dinner and were waiting around for at least 20 minutes before any member of staff turned up to take our booking. When we did go down to dinner at 8pm, the waitress pointed to a table and told us to take a seat where we were waiting for about 15 minutes wondering where the menu was or whether we were to go up to the buffet. My mum finally had to get up and ask the waitress if we could order drinks and what the procedure was and she told us that we were to get drinks at the bar before coming in and to help ourselves to buffet. We then had to go to the bar and come back, and finally had our dinners about half an hour after we should of. Really poor customer service!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank StephAF93

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Looking to stay in a filthy, delapidated, disease ridden hotel? The Albion may be the monstrosity for you!!
Having previously stayed here and vowing never to go back, I found myself in desperate need of a room for the night. With no other option, and a very heavy heart, I payed the ridiculous price to stay in this nightmare of a building.
Within minutes of checking in I had to change rooms as water was cascading from the bathroom ceiling.
New room, new horrors. This is the hotel that time, and cleaners, forgot. Everything is caked in layers of dust. Wallpaper hangs in strips from the walls. There are many very dubious stains on the carpets. Gaping holes in walls. Various and sundry items of furniture that look like they've been taken out of a skip.
This hotel reeks of despair.
Do yourself a favour, and never ever stay here. It is unfathomably horrendous.

1 Thank mikeyfingers
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked a twin room for one night for two adults and one small dog. £155 for the room, £10 for the dog and £5 per person for all you can eat buffet breakfast. A pet- friendly hotel that doesn't even supply you with a bowl so the dog can drink water! I booked by phone but was not told that the hotel would take a £50 deposit for damage that the dog may cause! I found this out when I checked in. The lift was broken so we had to walk up to the third floor. The "decor" looked like a derelict building in parts. There were holes in the wall, cracked bare plaster, chipped paint, filthy carpet, dangerously uneven floors etc etc. Signs above these atrocities said "hurricane damage". The room was so old and tired looking. The carpet was sticky so I kept my shoes on so my feet didn't get dirty. The sash window wouldn't stay up so a piece of wood had been wedged in. It rained in the night and we woke up with water pouring in through the ceiling. Breakfast was dreadful. Grey bacon, soggy toast, stale croissants, cold eggs. Tea and coffee were stewed and luke warm. We managed to get £40 back. To think other beautiful hotels charge far far less for their rooms. This was a complete and utter rip off. Never again. But the sheets were clean.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Saga57
Trondheim
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in what we thought (judging from the hotel's website) would be a nice, old-fashioned, family-friendly hotel on the Brighton seafront. Well, it was on the Brughton seafront. The rest was a disgusting mistake.
The staff in reception were stressed, unsmiling, and spoke very poor English. We had booked a sea-view room, which we got. It took us five minutes of traipsing up and down flights of stairs, through fifteen heavy doors and dinghy, smelly hallways (no, there was no quicker route), before we arrived in our boiling hot and smelly room. I have honestly never been in such a hot hotel. The windows were stuck open at a few inches, and of course no air-conditioning.
With two small kids, having to traipse through a grotty hotel in this way, several times a day back and forth, was going to be exhausting. Thank goodness we didn't have a pram with us. Family-friendly hotel, no way!

The bathroom was small, disgusting, dark, and damp. One spotlight in the ceiling was working, two others were ripped out and were gaping dusty holes.
The double bed was not a full-size double. Furniture in room was extremely out-dated.

Eating in the Jenny 'resturant' (not a restaurant at all - more like a food-hall in a jail) was so depressing we barely got through dinner the first evening and breakfast. Ugly furniture and unappealingly decked tables. The staff were there solely to wash tables, not to look after guests. The room was boiling hot, and only one small door open to let some air in. And the guests - all old-age pensioners!! No young people or children at all. Very odd and slightly disturbing. The food - well, to be fair, it was standard English stodge. Not nice, and not nasty. But the atmosphere in this horrible room just put us off our food. Needless to say, we ate out the rest of our stay.

To top the whole depressing thing off, our little boy managed to forget some of his beloved toys under a duvet, when we checked out the last day. When we realized this, a few hours later, we were still in Brighton so we decided to go back to the hotel and ask for the toys. In reception we were met by a curt, irritated receptionist, who on my explaining about my heartbroken boy and his forgotten toys, went to a back room for three seconds, and came back to say 'They did not find anything'. I then said that the toys are still in the room, then, because where else can they be if no-one found them? I even suggested I could go to the room and look myself. She then gave me a very nasty look and handed me the managers business-card, mumbling something ridiculous about it being none of her business. I was shocked, and left. I see from other reviews here on tripadvisor, that there is no point in contacting the manager. This is obviously a seriously badly run hotel, which should be shut down immediately for being over-priced and down-right misleading in it's advertising. The cleaning-staff obviously steal whatever gets left behind (what if I left any jewllery in the room!? Any hotel wanting a good reputation would return forgotten items). As for family-friendly - a downright lie. They obviously couldn't care less.

We have stayed in other hotels on the Brighton seafront before, which charged less and were nice, clean and friendly. Go ANYWHERE but do not ever go to this dump! Be warned!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jeeey
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my fiance stayed at the Royal Albion for 1 night mid week. We had the superior room with sea views and paid just over £70 for the night. The room is a great size and it had excellent views of the pier, sea and along Kings Road. Yes the hotel is very out of date, (opened in the early 1820s) and it does look like it has not been touched since. The hotel is very very out of date but to be fair the hotel and rooms were very clean. We also had a Jacuzzi bath in the room which was a suprise, shame the shower had no guts to it (must be the original plumbing). It also had a balcony which was a touch and this was very original and gave great views at night. I must admit we didn't use to restaurant or bar service as we were out all day and evening in town which is the shortest walk possible from this great location. If you can get this hotel at a reasonable price it is very good value.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fordy2001
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel should be closed down!!! Its a health and safety Hazard. DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!

The staff have no manners. Very rude and ignorant. No Customer Service!! Not many are British! So there accents are hard to hear! When we arrived we got told that the hotel needed a deposit for all the rooms for a Hen Party which was £500. We wasnt informed of this before hand!! We gave them debit card details as a deposit to then realise later on that they had actually taken £500 from the account which left my friend with hardly any money. Again the Hotel didnt explain this to us. When i queried it at reception, they couldnt do anything to help. I even asked to see the manager in which Mr Mohammed did want to help me but didnt have authority. He didnt realise that authorising a debit card as a deposit actually takes the money from the account. But still he couldnt help me. So we had to help our friend out all weekend with money.

The rooms are very dated. Nothing worked properly. We had air con in our room but didnt work and the hotel wasnt bothered about it. It was like staying at Fawlty Towers. The Window in our room only opened a quarter of the way and was so heavy to pull up. The view was fantastic NOT!!!!! Loads of piping which pigeon crap all over. Fag butts everywhere. Room smelt musky and i couldnt believe how much i had paid for this room. Floor boards creek, stairs are not even throughout the hotel. People were losing their balance on them. 1 lift for the whole hotel. So small and took ages to get in the lift.

One of my friends uses a wheelchair and apart from the lift, the hotel isnt wheelchair friendly and asking for assistant was like a massive chore to the staff as they had to get the ramp out of storage everytime. Disgusting!!

The breakfast at the hotel was okish!! Not much of a hot selection!! But tasted ok. But soon as food run out they wasnt very enthusiastic to put out more. None of the staff smile and if you leave your table for any reason ie to get a drink. You come back to find your table empty as the staff has cleared it away. Its like they cant wait to get rid of you. I asked a member of staff for help but was too interested in talking to her work colleague and left me standing. Its a disgrace

The hotel doesnt like noise either and as we was a hen party, at some occassions we can got a bit loud but not too disturbing. Receptionist THREATENED TO CHUCK US ALL OUT OF THE HOTEL

I can see this must have been a lovely hotel years ago as its very old fashioned inside but it looks like the hotel is so keen to take your money but cant be bothered to look after you during your stay. MONEY GRABBERS!!!

Location is great as its on the sea front and opposite the pier but trust me dont WASTE your money at this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends