“Royal rip-off”

Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Basel, Switzerland
“Royal rip-off”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I can't believe I paid £100 a night for this hotel. Luckily I only stayed there one night.
From the moment you step in you can see everything is in desperate need of renovation.
The worst part were the rooms, we first got one on the 5th floor, size was OK, seaview, but really worn-out. We had to change because the bathroom ceiling was leaking and the floor was completely wet.
We immediately got another room and a guy came in to the first room to check it out, said there was nothing he could do. They know that the hotel is falling apart, they are really shameless.
The second room, on the 4th floor, was also old and worn-out, and smaller and darker than the first one. We got downgraded! But at least the bathroom floor was dry.
In exchange, at 6 in the morning the ceiling in the corridor started dripping and we could get no more sleep.
I was not expecting a luxury hotel, but for this standards I would have preferred to spend the night at a youth hostel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tam_dc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have on occasion asked to change my room when checking in to a new hotel - but three times is now my personal best thanks to the Royal Albion. 2 nights in this dump for £340.00 - I must have taken leave of my senses or been unwittingly drugged on the train from London.

Peeling wallpaper - check. Incredibly rude reception staff - check. Dirty bedspreads - check. dripping bathroom taps - check. Green-screened CRT TV with about 8 channels - check. Broken shower - check. Toilet that was incapable of flushing more than 3 sheets of toilet paper - check. A pervading smell of cooking cooking - check. A peeling and crumbling facade - check. Shall i go on. No bath mat. paid for a sea view and was firstly given a room overlooking air con units at the back, dirty tables in the restaurant, dirty cutlery, cheap tea, coffee, sausages, juices and god knows what else. Thank the Lord the sun was shining otherwise I probably would have gone home. 3 Stars - who on earth awarded those ?

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
11 Thank Everyoneawinner

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Padua, Italy
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Room awful, dirty, unfriendly employees only exception the spanish bell man. It rains inside, you really can't wait to leave. It should be closed by public authorities. A shame for England. Don't ask information at the reception: they are of no help. Elevator was broken and had to carry luggage to third floor. Guess what? There are also undeground rooms. NEVER BEEN IN SUCH AN AWFUL PLACE!!! Pictures in the official site are a pure fraud. Finally a nice 2.30 am fire alert makes your night worst than worst

2 Thank afrikan
Reviewed 12 August 2014

When we arrived the receptionists seemed to be really unorganised and you could tell that they were short staffed. When we finally got to the desk the receptionist was too busy helping her colleague to acknowledge our booking and we were standing there for a good 5 minutes before given our key.

We went down to the restaurant at 4pm as advised so we could book a table for dinner and were waiting around for at least 20 minutes before any member of staff turned up to take our booking. When we did go down to dinner at 8pm, the waitress pointed to a table and told us to take a seat where we were waiting for about 15 minutes wondering where the menu was or whether we were to go up to the buffet. My mum finally had to get up and ask the waitress if we could order drinks and what the procedure was and she told us that we were to get drinks at the bar before coming in and to help ourselves to buffet. We then had to go to the bar and come back, and finally had our dinners about half an hour after we should of. Really poor customer service!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank StephAF93
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Looking to stay in a filthy, delapidated, disease ridden hotel? The Albion may be the monstrosity for you!!
Having previously stayed here and vowing never to go back, I found myself in desperate need of a room for the night. With no other option, and a very heavy heart, I payed the ridiculous price to stay in this nightmare of a building.
Within minutes of checking in I had to change rooms as water was cascading from the bathroom ceiling.
New room, new horrors. This is the hotel that time, and cleaners, forgot. Everything is caked in layers of dust. Wallpaper hangs in strips from the walls. There are many very dubious stains on the carpets. Gaping holes in walls. Various and sundry items of furniture that look like they've been taken out of a skip.
This hotel reeks of despair.
Do yourself a favour, and never ever stay here. It is unfathomably horrendous.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank mikeyfingers
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked a twin room for one night for two adults and one small dog. £155 for the room, £10 for the dog and £5 per person for all you can eat buffet breakfast. A pet- friendly hotel that doesn't even supply you with a bowl so the dog can drink water! I booked by phone but was not told that the hotel would take a £50 deposit for damage that the dog may cause! I found this out when I checked in. The lift was broken so we had to walk up to the third floor. The "decor" looked like a derelict building in parts. There were holes in the wall, cracked bare plaster, chipped paint, filthy carpet, dangerously uneven floors etc etc. Signs above these atrocities said "hurricane damage". The room was so old and tired looking. The carpet was sticky so I kept my shoes on so my feet didn't get dirty. The sash window wouldn't stay up so a piece of wood had been wedged in. It rained in the night and we woke up with water pouring in through the ceiling. Breakfast was dreadful. Grey bacon, soggy toast, stale croissants, cold eggs. Tea and coffee were stewed and luke warm. We managed to get £40 back. To think other beautiful hotels charge far far less for their rooms. This was a complete and utter rip off. Never again. But the sheets were clean.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel!
3 Thank Saga57
Trondheim
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in what we thought (judging from the hotel's website) would be a nice, old-fashioned, family-friendly hotel on the Brighton seafront. Well, it was on the Brughton seafront. The rest was a disgusting mistake.
The staff in reception were stressed, unsmiling, and spoke very poor English. We had booked a sea-view room, which we got. It took us five minutes of traipsing up and down flights of stairs, through fifteen heavy doors and dinghy, smelly hallways (no, there was no quicker route), before we arrived in our boiling hot and smelly room. I have honestly never been in such a hot hotel. The windows were stuck open at a few inches, and of course no air-conditioning.
With two small kids, having to traipse through a grotty hotel in this way, several times a day back and forth, was going to be exhausting. Thank goodness we didn't have a pram with us. Family-friendly hotel, no way!

The bathroom was small, disgusting, dark, and damp. One spotlight in the ceiling was working, two others were ripped out and were gaping dusty holes.
The double bed was not a full-size double. Furniture in room was extremely out-dated.

Eating in the Jenny 'resturant' (not a restaurant at all - more like a food-hall in a jail) was so depressing we barely got through dinner the first evening and breakfast. Ugly furniture and unappealingly decked tables. The staff were there solely to wash tables, not to look after guests. The room was boiling hot, and only one small door open to let some air in. And the guests - all old-age pensioners!! No young people or children at all. Very odd and slightly disturbing. The food - well, to be fair, it was standard English stodge. Not nice, and not nasty. But the atmosphere in this horrible room just put us off our food. Needless to say, we ate out the rest of our stay.

To top the whole depressing thing off, our little boy managed to forget some of his beloved toys under a duvet, when we checked out the last day. When we realized this, a few hours later, we were still in Brighton so we decided to go back to the hotel and ask for the toys. In reception we were met by a curt, irritated receptionist, who on my explaining about my heartbroken boy and his forgotten toys, went to a back room for three seconds, and came back to say 'They did not find anything'. I then said that the toys are still in the room, then, because where else can they be if no-one found them? I even suggested I could go to the room and look myself. She then gave me a very nasty look and handed me the managers business-card, mumbling something ridiculous about it being none of her business. I was shocked, and left. I see from other reviews here on tripadvisor, that there is no point in contacting the manager. This is obviously a seriously badly run hotel, which should be shut down immediately for being over-priced and down-right misleading in it's advertising. The cleaning-staff obviously steal whatever gets left behind (what if I left any jewllery in the room!? Any hotel wanting a good reputation would return forgotten items). As for family-friendly - a downright lie. They obviously couldn't care less.

We have stayed in other hotels on the Brighton seafront before, which charged less and were nice, clean and friendly. Go ANYWHERE but do not ever go to this dump! Be warned!

• Stayed July 2014