“Don't stay here - ever!”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Bridport, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here - ever!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Had I not been checking in at 11pm I would never have entertained staying at this hotel having seen the state of it when I arrived. When checking in, I had to use the toilet so went down the maze of corridors to use the facilities which smelled worse than i've ever smelled before.

To make a complete list of things that were bad with this hotel would take far too long but a short list includes:

Lift - carpet filthy inside
Exiting the lift - filthy dirty sofa on landing with half eaten plate of food
Room hot to the point of ridiculous with broken air conditioning
So much dust in the room the portable desk fan just blew it around
TV from the 1980s with a remote that didn't include batteries
Bath repaired with Gaffa tape
Dirty bathroom
Filthy carpet in bedroom
Windows that haven't been cleaned for months and wouldn't open
Walls in stairwell devoid of plaster

I have complained about this hotel to Britannia (as did my colleague) but received a standard reply (exactly the same as my colleagues) offering a discount for a further stay at this disgusting hotel.

I'm sure you can get the idea by reading through the other reviews on here about this dreadful hotel. Do yourself a favour and don't book this one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Jason F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Spend £99 on a standard double, arrived to no one in reception for 10 minutes security finally found someone to check us in. We were given a free upgrade to a sea view room, but have to say the quality of the room was awful and if this was an upgrade god knows what a standard double would have been like. Mould all over the room and bathroom, very tired furniture. Bedside light hanging off the wall.
Lots of warning signs around hotel that damage was caused by “Storm Damage” but this was not storm damage this is sheer neglect of the hotel! Its run down and well over priced. It should have been £39 for that hotel room.
On the plus the bed was comfortable, hotel was quiet and the view was very nice. Never again however!!!

Room Tip: Best tip I can give is don't book a room!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Siboyblue

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this as it was all we could find at the last minute... when we arrived there was a wedding reception going on which was fine but quite noisy but we weren't too worried. Our room was small at the end of long corridor up and down stairs after getting the only lift to the 5th floor. This hotel is not meant for guests with mobility issues or a lot of luggage! the bedside cupboards had been glued shut presumably as they were clearly the wrong shape for the space and had the backs sawn off so they did fit.
This was just the start of the fun.... that night we had a group of drugged up party animals in the rooms all around us running in an out of each others rooms and having a party all night. Brilliant! The shower was a bit like the Krypton factor to work out but was fine once on but there was no bath mat or any extras - I've stayed in much better quality Travelodge accommodation.
.We spent most of the next day out and came back to a quieter hotel. As we walked up to the hotel, a group of 4 guys were smoking on the steps and one of them actually pissed against the wall in front of us - it was about 7pm. We had a better nights sleep as the party animals seemed to have moved on. Would I recommend this hotel - no. Its very dated, the accommodation is poor quality, the staff are harrassed and busy, There is very little that appeals about this place although the rooms were clean and it is right opposite the pier. You really have to be struggling to find a room in Brighton to chose this place.

Room Tip: chose a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have today arrived back from a two night stay at this hotel and from arrivin g I knew I had done the wrong thing. Firstly when I booked I phoned them to ask about parking they said they had no parking but there was a NCP car park nearby and I will be given a permit, wrong information given they only give you 25% off and the parking for two days cost me £50.00 (they do have parking spaces outside but they rent them out to council which is an hourly rate and would have cost a fortune, after speaking to the manager who basically said noone would tell me that you would get a permit (untrue that is what I was told) the manager did not care at all and did not try to help. We were given a room on the 5th floor (and it was awful the TV was held together with tape so was the TV controller, basic is maybe a word to good for this room, the food was awful breakfast was help yourself to dried up and not even warm, the dinner was the same, I have stayed in many hotels and I can say that this is the worst ever the only good thing about it is it is opposite the Pier if you can see the pier through the dirty unclean windows. The best thing about the whole two days was leaving.

I can recommend the Old Ship Hotel, the Thistle or the Gran if fact any hotel is better than this, everyone person I spoke to said the same they would never come back, so this hotel could be closed by next year. AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kazy220
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I can't believe I paid £100 a night for this hotel. Luckily I only stayed there one night.
From the moment you step in you can see everything is in desperate need of renovation.
The worst part were the rooms, we first got one on the 5th floor, size was OK, seaview, but really worn-out. We had to change because the bathroom ceiling was leaking and the floor was completely wet.
We immediately got another room and a guy came in to the first room to check it out, said there was nothing he could do. They know that the hotel is falling apart, they are really shameless.
The second room, on the 4th floor, was also old and worn-out, and smaller and darker than the first one. We got downgraded! But at least the bathroom floor was dry.
In exchange, at 6 in the morning the ceiling in the corridor started dripping and we could get no more sleep.
I was not expecting a luxury hotel, but for this standards I would have preferred to spend the night at a youth hostel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tam_dc
London
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have on occasion asked to change my room when checking in to a new hotel - but three times is now my personal best thanks to the Royal Albion. 2 nights in this dump for £340.00 - I must have taken leave of my senses or been unwittingly drugged on the train from London.

Peeling wallpaper - check. Incredibly rude reception staff - check. Dirty bedspreads - check. dripping bathroom taps - check. Green-screened CRT TV with about 8 channels - check. Broken shower - check. Toilet that was incapable of flushing more than 3 sheets of toilet paper - check. A pervading smell of cooking cooking - check. A peeling and crumbling facade - check. Shall i go on. No bath mat. paid for a sea view and was firstly given a room overlooking air con units at the back, dirty tables in the restaurant, dirty cutlery, cheap tea, coffee, sausages, juices and god knows what else. Thank the Lord the sun was shining otherwise I probably would have gone home. 3 Stars - who on earth awarded those ?

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Everyoneawinner
Padua, Italy
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Room awful, dirty, unfriendly employees only exception the spanish bell man. It rains inside, you really can't wait to leave. It should be closed by public authorities. A shame for England. Don't ask information at the reception: they are of no help. Elevator was broken and had to carry luggage to third floor. Guess what? There are also undeground rooms. NEVER BEEN IN SUCH AN AWFUL PLACE!!! Pictures in the official site are a pure fraud. Finally a nice 2.30 am fire alert makes your night worst than worst

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family