“awful hotel”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 23 August 2009

firstly i was charged double on my credit card, which no one really seemed to care about, it was sorted eventually after asking half a dozen times.

my first room was on the 5th floor (lift wasnt working) but was told the lift would be fixed the next day when actually it took 3 days. the room was dirty, the windows were falling out, bath dirty, bath panel coming off and had a thick layer of dust on it. the chair was ripped and the warbrobe had a hole in it. also the wallpaper was peeling off and the valance sheet was half on the bed and half on the floor.

i was changed to another room quite quickly. the next room on the forth floor was better but still had peeling paper and wasnt very clean.

the breakfast was poor and had me running to the loo as it did with a few others i spoke to.

the hotel is situated in a few central position but that is all it has going for it.

would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone i liked.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Reviewed 19 August 2009

I was a bit concerned before my visit to this hotel - reading the reviews. However, after expressing my worry before my visit, I had no reason to worry. The room was a corner room that had just been refurbished. It had magnificent double windows on two walls which made the room light and airy (slight worry with small children as dangerous when open) The staff were very helpful and if I asked for something to be sent to the room it was done immediately. The breakfast was quite adequate and they have a second dining room that they use when the main one is full. There were complimentary newspapers and the lounge had a lovely view of the front and pier. We certainly found the position excellent as having a baby mean't that we could very easily pop back to the hotel from the pier/front to do the "necessary"! It was a bit noisy at night, but then it is situated right on a very busy roundabout - so that is to be expected. You can't have a hotel in the good position that it is without some noise. I would like to thank the hotel and staff for a lovely 3 night stay, I will be going back asap!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2009

For everyone who believes that all older hotels should be updated to modern sterility, please stay away from the Royal Albion! There is a Radisson next door for you; if you don’t like the Radisson’s rates, bear in mind that it costs money to update. Leave the Royal Albion for those of us who want a sense of what a seaside hotel was like 70-100 years ago (but with more recent plumbing and safety systems). The hotel has a great location near Brighton Pier and the breakfast buffet has a large and varied selection. The lounge overlooking the sea and the pier is a great place to relax – even on a rainy day.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We went on a coach holiday with two other couples,and stayed for four nights,at this Hotel. The Hotel is in the middle of a refurb with scaffolding on the outside. The rooms are a little tatty,the bathroom has got black mould, but the bed linen and towels were spotless. We went bed breakfast and evening meal,the food is excellent,the tea and coffee at breakfast is poor.The staff also are excellent. Great location and good value for money

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stopped in what was meant to be "Deluxe spa room" the only part of that title that is correct is the word "room". The hotel was once clearly a grand hotel but is in need of a lot of TLC the room we had the furniture was tatty the wall paper was ripped and coming away from the walls. The standard of cleanliness was low the shower head had not been cleaned and had scum all over it, the tiles and the edge of the bath was mouldy. When I lay down in the bath at looked to the side to see the back of the toilet had not been cleaned in months possibly years. After using the bath we stepped out of the bathroom back into the main room to find the bath had leaked and the carpet was soaked, we reported this to the hotel not that they seemed bothered! The hotel was advertised as having AC when speaking to the receptionist to ask why ours was not working we were told non of AC worked in the entire hotel and had not worked for some while. The only good thing about this hotel is the location right by the pier but it is not worth the £85 per night we paid and that was discounted!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Have stayed at the Albion twice now. The first time was on my graduation and I was given a fantastic room on the top floor, which had its own private lounge UPSTAIRS (it was like a duplex). My parents had paid the same amount and a smallish room, but it had a balcony and jacuzzi. The 2nd time I stayed at the Albion, the first room I was given, was in the Attic, and a little dated so I asked to move and was given a large room with jacuzzi and 2nd double bed! As this hotel is so old, and i think it's been made up of 2 or 3 original buildings, all the roms are different (size, decor, jacuzzi, no jaccuzzi, balcony, seperat lounge etc etc) so my advice would be, if you don't like the first room you're given, just ask at reception to be moved! Unless there's an event on in Brighton, I can't see this large hotel being filled to capacity.

Overall though, very good hotel, lovely common areas, staircases, corridors, reception, bar. The only downside, I tried to bring a friend into the hotel for a few post clubbing drinks, but the bouncers, sorry doorstaff, wouldn't let him in, this wasn't amajor issue, we had a few tinnys on the beach instead.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We have just visited the Royal Albion hotel, we stayed for two nights, bed and breakfast.
Before arrived, we read the reviews just a few days before going, I must say we were pleasantly surprised. A lot of reviews painted an awful picture of the hotel, referring to it as a nightmare, we soon realised why the reviews are so bad when we arrived, as all the other guests were proffesional complainers, In the breakfast room, people were moaning that the orange juice was warm, surely there are worse things. The decor was also complained about, but as the hotel was built in 1826, it will look slightly dated, however there is work being done on the building to improve this, we very much enjoyed our stay and the view of the pier from our room was spectacular, the one drawback is the parking situation but other than that, everything was very pleasant for what we paid.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple