“Good value for money hotel”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Hertfordshire
“Good value for money hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

I have just recently stayed at the Royal Albion for one night with my girlfriend. I admit that some of the very negative reviews got me thinking about what a state the room may be but still booked as we found a great deal with Laterooms. The location was excellent (right opposite the main pier) Upon arrival, it seemed a slow process to check people in as it took nearly 20 mins and we were only behind 4 others. Once we got to our double room, we were pleasantly surprised as it was larger than expected. Had a nice four poster bed and a jacuzzi bath. Admittedly, the room was rather dated with old furniture and a colour tv which must have gone out of production 20 years ago...but still worked. The windows and net curtains were grubby and the area around the bath was slightly dirty. I'm not sure how basic modern hotel standards could slip the management in this establishment. They were the negatives. On the positive side, the bed was comfy and the bath was nice and big. The room temperature was just right too and there was minimal outside noise. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast. The food was hot and there was plenty of it. Was one of the best hotel brekkies I have had. Overall, It is definately worth staying in the Royal Albion due to the excellent value for money though probably not longer than 2 or 3 nights.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments about your recent stay at The Royal Albion.

I am pleased to hear your room was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the food.

We have ongoing training with our reception staff and try our best to make the checking in process as smooth and quick as possible.

I would be delighted to welcome you back for a visit in the future.

Nick Wright HCIMA
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

I have just returned from a nights stay at this hotel. The room was extremely dated and in need of major upgrading. The carpet had gaffer tape covering a hole at the bathroom entrance. The bathroom appeared dirty, there were tiles missing beneath the sink and it was generally in a grubby state. We had dinner at the hotel which wasn't great and I would have been dissapointed to have paid for the meal if it wasn't already included in the deal for the room.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Royal Albion Hotel.

My maintenance staff try to deal with all issues as soon as they are informed of them. I am sorry to hear you had such issues in your bedroom. It seems this room is not up to our usual standard.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

Nick Wright HCIMA
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

Stayed here on a valentines short break I was a bit worried by the reviews on trip advisor but reasoned that happy guests do not complain. Well this guest was like the rest not at all happy. Reception staff told us we could not check in till 3pm & stuck to that we waited from 12.30pm till the dot of 3pm. The room was stifling hot with a notice telling us not to touch the heat controls window sill was filthy with frayed dirty net curtains wardrobe was damaged & chair cover was so frayed the foam was visible, Bar is reasonable there is a lovely view from the lounge over the pier or would be if you could see it through windows that have never seen a cleaner. However when I asked to charge a drink to my room the staff looked at me as if I had asked for a rock of crack cocaine I had to get my key card have it stamped by reception have my debit card swiped for £50 & was generally treated as if I was some kind of crook never ever have I experienced this at any other hotel, In the restaurant some of the waiters only knew the one Englsh word which was finish which they uttered every time they spied you pause from eating. My wife said she had not finished & could she have more butter for her roll the waiter smiled nodded & walked away clearly not having understood a word' Next night menu was identical but served in a buffe tthe waiters ran around in a panic & hovered over people desperate to snatch their plate & usher them out. Breakfast was chaotic & is badly laid out. Final straw was having to walk down 5 flights of stairs with heavy bags as lift was monopolised by the cleaners never again

Croydon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

I spent one night here and found the staff the most unhelpful I have ever had to deal with, the reception staff on check in on Saturday 5th Feb and check out Sunday 6th were extremely unwelcoming, the breakfast food was ok, but having to get your own hot drinks meant that something was cold (either your drink or your breakfast), most hotels I have stayed at will serve you with drinks and toast and the rest is self service which definately helps, the lifts played up a lot on Saturday evening and were not working at all on Sunday which did not help being located on the 5th floor, the tv reception was very poor. This hotel is in an excellent location a refurbishment would be well worth the investment, followed by a retraining/replacing of the customer facing staff.

• Stayed February 2011
Quigley's Point, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

We stayed here for one night ...the hotel is very dated ...the room 410 was really small dark and dingy..the curtains were grey I think there were meant to be white ..the windows were filthy too ...

The reception staff very rude on checking in and on checking out ...not one person seemed pleased to see the guests expect for the member of staff that stowed our bags for us both on arriving and leaving ...bar staff were only serving the guests that had booked an AI package with a well known coach company ...I stood with a few other people for around 10 minutes and then was only served when I called the girl ...she never noticed me because she was chatting to the other bar maid in there own language which I thought was very rude ...
Breakfast ::::::: well you have to serve your own tea/coffee so by the time you get your breakfast your tea/coffee is cold ...if you get your tea/coffee first then your breakfast is cold !!!! ....the hot water ran out twice and the staff had to be told by the guests they were not checking and no one seemed to be in charge the staff just seemed to wander around not knowing what they were meant to be doing !!!

The lift was also broken and I never seen any members of staff asking guests if they needed any help bring the bags up or down the stairs

The 10am checkout is far to early ....any other hotel I have stayed in around the world has either been 11am or 12pm ..

We were woken alot during the night with guest running up and down the corriders ..you could also hear people shouting in the street so I dont think they had double galzing either
Annie

• Stayed February 2011
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Dear Madam,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

I will be talking to my reception and bar staff after reading your comments about their lack of customer service. As a company this is not something which we see as acceptable.

I am also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast at the hotel. We feel that we provide a great range which is enjoyed by the majority of our guests. The tea and coffee facilities are self service for the convenience of all our customers.

The incident with the lift breaking is unfortunate, however it is beyond our control. We immediately called in people to fix the lift, and this was rectified as soon as possible.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in future to enjoy what I hope can be a more pleasant stay.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

I paid £150 for a twin superior room and was severely dissapointed. The hotels location is superb however the building is very tired externally and certainly does not make a good impressions when walking up to it. The room itself was disgusting and dangerous. The light switch was hanging off the wall and the fire alarm detector was hanging off the ceiling. There were tiles missing in the bathroom and there was mould growing on the sealent around the bath and sink and the door handle was hanging off. Although not that important the television came on but was not tuned in (or was broken). The buffet style breakfast was equally as dissapointing. I urge you not to stay at this hotel - I would never go back and certainly would not recommend it to anybody. Very very dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am extremely sorry to hear of your disappointment at your stay.

If there are any maintenance or housekeeping issues with any of the rooms we try our best to move our guests to different rooms or if this is not possible fix the problems as soon as possible.

I am also sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the breakfast that we offer. We feel that we offer an excellent range of food for guests during the breakfast period, enjoyed by the majority of our guests. I will however pass on your useful comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

I would like to welcome you back for a future stay which i hope could be more satisfactory and enjoyable for yourself.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

Don't be fooled by the exterior, this place is awful. The staff i found to be rude, unhelpful and don't speak English as a rule, the rooms a filthy, damp and dirty. The food is inedible, a meal looks and tastes like a reheated school dinner - served in a recently condenmed chicken coop. AVOID!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

I take your comments about our staff very seriously and am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the levels of customer service.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

I can only apologise that the food was not of a satisfactory standard. We serve the food in our largest room in the hotel and offer people a choice of a Full English Breakfast, or for lunch and dinner a choice of starters, mains and desserts. The majority of our customers are very happy with this choice.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.