“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

We booked a family room which a great size and very clean. The service was fantastic and the staff were always happy to help and very polite. The breakfast was amazing. The best we've ever had in a hotel. I don't understand why other reviews mention breakfast time like a "rugby scrum" as we found it calm, quiet and relaxing. We certainly didn't need to eat until dinner after this!! We tried out the pool, and again, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool was very clean and not too cold. There was also a steam room, sauna and hot tub, all of which we put to good use. All in all, this hotel was brilliant and we would definately stay again. We were made to feel very welcome.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

The hotel comes off initially as a bit old, but we spent about an hour walking through the hotel enjoying the architectural details and photographs. The hotel management gave us a brief history of the building too. Breakfast and dinner in the dining room was nice. The location is perfect - right across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

This is a beautiful hotel, no doubt about it. The breakfast is the best I have seen in a long time and at 90 odd pounds or so for singles. Prices can be quite reasonable for a Hilton.
If one manages to get time to use the free spa, one will definetely get one's money's worth.
I had a nice big double for myself with a full bath but a view of the unsightly inner yard while me colleague was spoilt with an amazing sea view but had to settle for a shower bath and a very small bed. Another complaint was that the conference centre was freezing cold, at least during this cold December spell.
All things considered though, I'd come back.;

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

Slick check-in, excellent sea-view room, well located for promenade, beach, pier and town centre/shops.
Air-conditioning a little to warm and struggled to turn down, but opened the windows and awoke to the sound of waves on the beach both mornings. Rooms well-sized and furnished comfortably. Very roomy bathroom - will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

If I'd read the reviews here before booking, I would have chosen different hotel!

However, our family room had clearly been recently refurbished & was finished to a good standard. We had ordered a cot for the room & it looked brand new. The room & public areas were spotless, the staff friendly, the breakfast lovely & the swimming pool beautiful.

The hotel is in a great location & with the current Spring discount, it's great value for money.

The only real negative were the usual English hotel 'cons' of ridiculously priced extras e.g. internet access, parking, bottles of water etc.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelAdministrator, TS at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your review

I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, In regards to your comments on parking charges due to being a city hotel we offer a very competitive rate with in the city centre to our Hotel guests, a 50% discount on the original price is offered to our in house residents which then takes the price down to £16.00 per night, which is displayed on our web site and at the entrance of the car park.

I hope you and your family return soon using our spring break discount.

Kind regards
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

We stay at many Hilton Hotels, this was our second stay here and once again we were very disappointed. The rooms fall far short of Hilton standard, the furnishings are tired as well as the decor. The whole hotel has a very odd feel about it, looking very grand from the outside but telling a completely different story from the inside. The service is variable. The breakfast was good in a very nice restaurant. The bar is nice however again the service was variable. We would certainly not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

I actually do not know where to start.
My partner and I had booked for two nights and had also booked for my daughter and her husband and young baby to stay the second night as a birthday treat and meeting up with second daughter who lives in Brighton. So now I have set the scene.
On arrival my partner and I were shown to a what I now know is considered a "multi function room", it is set up for disabled guests. There was a obvious red cord hanging next to the bed and one next to the toilet. The shower had an opening I assume for easy access to the shower. The window was covered in bird droppings and the window overlooked the well at the back of the hotel, on to what appeared to be the kitchen or some kind of industrial roof. It was shabby and not nice. We went back to reception who looked for another room without too much investigation - had they hoped we would accept?
We were then given a room on the 6th (top) floor. As we were by this time tired and wanting to go meet with family , we kept the room, despite the fact that to see out of the room you had to stand on tip toe. Well on returning to the room that night, the room was very hot. It was not a very hot night but the room was airless. It was so difficult to sleep. We stood on chairs to open the windows but there was no through air flow. So I went to get some water from the cold tap - it was hot and I mean hot! Only choice? To take the water left by the HIlton at £3.95 a bottle!
We are now in the morning. before breakfast, we report to reception and complain. Given a room number to look at with the concierge. It was better but no air conditioning and even at that time ( around 9 a.m.) it was airless. So back to reception, given two other room numbers. First room, someone in it! Second room - someone in it! concierge clearly mortified! He asked us to come see him after breakfast. After breakfast he says he tells us of a good room that should be free later, we accept and trust him. This turned out to be fine, but why did it have to take all of the above? So now we wait for daughter etc to arrive. Told room would be ready around 3 p.m. We go around town etc and return to hotel around 5 p.m. - room not ready. Offered a drink at the bar complimentary which was kind. Eventually in room around 6 p.m.
Room was booked as a double sea view. It was very small and quite disappointing, no table or chair just room and shower without bath. She needed to be able to use fridge- we could not open it! reported to reception, said they would deal with. 11/2 hours later we called back to be told fridge cannot be used as the remote to open was lost or not working. At this point I was in despair, Fawllty towers sprung to mind. I told the reception that it was becoming a joke. She asked if i had spoken to management and offered to tell management. Well 5 minutes or so later two managers arrived at the door. They listened and offered free meal for all etc which I did accept. NOw they did try hard and maybe they did their best! However it should never have happened. One of the managers did actually say I must feel that it was Fawlty Towers!
I was pleased that they intervened. However , I had hours and hours of stress and concern, trying to make it right for my family. Yes it did spoil probably a good part of the short time I had with family. We had travelled from Scotland for a short break and it was spoilt with the stress of all of this.
We have stayed at Hilton's in Dunkeld, Edinburgh, Aberdeen , London and New York, this hotel does not resemble any of them. I cannot fault the concierge or the two managers who tried to make things better but they could not give back the hours of stress and worry.
Would I go back? I doubt it and I would urge anyone thinking of staying to think again.
Back in October I stayed in the premier Inn in Brighton. The room was bigger, more modern and without stress. It does not have sea views etc but having seen the sea view room for a premium price,at the HIlton, I do not think it was worth it. Perhaps if you are able to have a suite etc that may then make a difference.
Yes they tried to make things better but on reflection and on return home, I realise the stress and worry it caused and how it did spoil what should have been a great family weekend.
You decide what you would do .

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank GlasgowWeegie
Dear Guest

Thank you for adding your review to Trip Advisor

Please could you contact the hotel at your earliest convenience to be able to discuss your complaint with you directly.

Kind regards