“More for the older generation!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 10 June 2011

My self and my Husband stayed here recently on the 6th June 2011 for 1 night stay for our Wedding Anniversary.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming
The Hilton Double Suite I booked was in a good state, the bed and Suiet was clean and the room was a good temperature. We would like to thank the Hilton for our complimentary bottle of champagne chocolates and big bowl of fruit.

On the down side the Bath room was not clean, the shower unit was really old and in need of modernizing, the bath room could have done with a proper clean.
The lounge is in need of a real up date, it was like on old peoples home
DOUBLE HILTON SUITE, had a musky smell to match its decor
Not for the young couples sorry.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank readThisMidlands
GuyHilton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Trip Advisor.

I would like to offer my apologies that your bathroom was not cleaned to our usual standard your comments regarding the cleanliness of your bathroom has been shared with our Accommodations Services Manager to review and address with his team.

I am delighted you found our team both friendly and welcoming though out your stay with us, I am pleased to confirm that our ongoing refurbishment programme within the hotel will be carried on this year, which will see some on our older bedrooms, bathrooms and public area’s refreshed and up dated.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked a two night stay in one of the Super Deluxe Rooms and it was disgusting. When I arrived I was given the wrong key and some else was in our room and the key for the room never worked had to keep going to reception to complain was a constant nightmare! The room was cold the heating didnt work and the room was dirty and horrible. The window didnt close properly so was a constant cold breeze and the heating was blowing out cold air. Complained about it and never saw a maintenance man who was promised....the only good thing about the stay was the breakfast and swimming pool but that is not worth it trust me!!! I would avoid the hotel at all cost seriously its not worh £50 a night let alone £235 per night! There are plently of hotels in brighton and you can defiantley get something better for your money than what you will pay here! Anyone who reads this DO NOT stayat this hotel its NOT worth it at all you will only be disappointed!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
GuyHilton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for contacting our Hilton Guest Assistance regarding the complaint you sent in to us directly and giving us the opportunity to restoring you faith in Hilton Hotels.

I would like to once again apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay with us, due to our hotel systems being down for five days which also affected our key cutting machine.

I can confirm that our bed room window refurbishment programme has now started this will see 400 windows replaced within the hotel.

I would like to thank you for adding your review to trip advisor, I appreciate your comments very much .

Reviewed 5 June 2011

£199 for a very poor experience, 1 night in a dilapidated and scruffy room with years of dirty finger marks around the electrical fittings and far too my evidence of the room's previous occupants for my liking. Breakfast looked like a homeless soup kitchen and was delivered without even a hint of a smile and no milk for my pot of tea (a big deal in England). I just walked out in disgust. Never, ever, ever, stay at this hotel. Try the MyHotel or if on a budget the Jury's Inn near the station for somewhere that you won't dread going back to after a nice night out in this wonderful city. Do not get ripped off by this staggeringly bad hotel, or its next door neighbour which is equally poor (and the name 'Grand' will pertain more to your likely bill rather than any distinctive quality of the hotel).

Room Tip: In order to get the best room, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Bunkerbuster

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to trip advisor.

I am sorry that you felt your stay was marred at our hotel due to the cleanliness of your room. Your comments have been shared with our Accommodation Services Manager, unfortunately without a room number he will be unable to investigate further.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast, as we have a lot of very positive comments from our guests on both our Hilton Breakfast and our staff.

It is important to us to ensure that we continuously review and improve our service and standards within the hotel, which is help by feedback like yours.

Reviewed 4 June 2011

I have previously read other complaint about this hotel and agree that what I have read concerning rooms in need of refurbishment are without question are correct.

On our first visit to the hotel in 2009 I read several complaints about the condiction of some rooms so wrote directly to the hotel with my concerns about this. On arrival at checkin the reception were not aware of my concerns however, having a copy of the letter with me the room which had been allocated was quickly changed to a room which was a disabled room which was too big but acceptable.

The following year 2010 again I wrote to the then General Manager Anne Busfield regarding my reservation and concerns regarding the rooms. Arriving at checkin about 2.15pm a very pleasant young man when questioned assured us that the room alloction would be fine and my request and my Hilton HHonors membership requests had been noted and the room was excellent.

The arrival this year 2011 at about the same time 2.15pm was a different story, no guests appeared to be checking in, we were greeted by a member of staff with the words checkin was 3.00pm rooms were not ready cases could be left. We returned about 3.15pm I could not believe my eyes the line of people waiting to checkin was almost the whole length of the reception area and being added to by the minute, drinks were being offered to guests this did little to help the situation as checkin was very slow, my comments were it was easier at check out at Tesco's, my concern was with the system being down when we managed to checked in it would be any room whatever condiction would be allocated.

I managed to get the attention of a manager who appeared to be the House Security Manager, he explained the situation and looked at my reservation details and the letter copy sent to Anne Busfield who then said she was no longer General Manager at the hotel. He came back invited us to the lounge bar for a drink saying the room allocation was sorted and the room was ready, our cases would be in the room when we were ready to go there. The room was excellent clean, fresh and everything working.

Our next Hilton Hotel is Metropole London in August again we have been there several times before this really is an excellent modern hotel. Inspite of the problems at Brighton Metropole I'm sure we will be returning there sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Write direct to the hotel before
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We booked into this hotel, as I was running the Brighton marathon the next day and it was the only hotel not requiring a two night stay. The communal areas of the hotel were OK, but our room was unimpressive. We paid for an upgrade to a deluxe sea view room and this must be the only hotel in the world where a sea view is undesirable!

The day that we checked in was an unusually warm day for the time of year. We unpacked the small amount of things we had and went out for the evening and when we arrived back at the hotel, our room was like a sauna. We tried to switch on the aircon, but nothing, We tried to open the windows, but they had limiters to stop them opening wide enough for someone to jump out. We rang down for maintenance, who came up, looked at the air con and said 'yep, she's not working, needs a new engine, can't be sorted tonight,sorry'. No other rooms were available, They did kindly remove the limiters on the windows, but we were on the lea-side of the building and therefore it made no difference to the stifling temperature of the room. This, coupled with the noise of the drunks going past until 4ish and traffic until 7ish, when the road closed, made for an extremely poor night's sleep. One bedside light did not work, neither did the light or the phone on the desk(reported to maintenance when they looked at the aircon, but we told them not to bother at that time of night, as we had three mobiles between the two of us). The water pressure in the shower was so low, I was thankful I did not want to wash my hair.

We will never return to any hotel in the Hilton group again after this experience. Not because of the mechanical problems, which, after all, can happen to anyone unless they have adequate maintenance procedures, but because of their attitude which was dismissive and unconcerned, to say the least. Could not have been more of a contrast to our experience with Fairmont group, when there was an error with our booking at one of their properties.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the seaview room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I stayed here recently with a group of friends for a hen weekend. The twin room I booked was in a good state, the beds were clean and the room was a good temperature. We weren't in the hotel long, just long enough to get ready then to have somewhere to sleep. The buffet breakfast the next morning was excellent and just what we needed after a night out.

Great location too. I'd stay here again with friends or my husband.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Terrible hotel. Only a couple of redeeming features that gave it 2 out of 5.

Parking is impossible to find. no assistance given only 1 small sign around the corner which is easily missed had to park in a NCP @ £25 per 24 hours so off to a bad start. Finally got into the hotel to find absolute chaos in reception. 2 queues of about 20 people trying to check in. After a lengthy wait and no apology I checked in and asked for my HiltonHonours number to be added to the booking as i'd forgotton to do this earlier. I was told a prompt 'no cant do that' !!! I explained previous hotels where I needed to do the same had done this quite happily and the receptionist then decided to tell me that their system was down and that it couldnt be done because of this. We were not told by reception what time breakfast hours were or location of the resturant. Luckily I overheard another customer being told the hours of operation so I knew what time we could go down for the next morning.
I had booked a special room for my partners birthday. I upgraded to a king deluxe plus and after booking (last november) i contacted the hotel to request a sea facing room for which I got a reply stating it had been noted on my booking. This did not materialise. We were placed in a room overlooking what looked like the kitchens at the rear of the hotel with views of stained windows covered in seagull excrement instead of the English channel. This was not the worst point about the room.. This was supposed to be a king deluxe plus room and was in fact 2 single beds pushed together. I could not believe my eyes. For a hotel chain such as Hilton to dare to call this a king deluxe is disgusting. I could have paid less and got a standard double room and been able to enjoy a romantic weekend away with my girlfriend instead of that we ended up sleeping apart for fear of falling down the crack in the middle of the beds!
In the bathroom although clean there was a certain lack of quality, for example the toilet seat would not stay up and had to be held up - it is these little things that should be sorted that would bring this hotel up to a quality befitting its 4 star rating. Definately more like 2 star B&B at the seaside if you ask my opinion.
Next morning we went down for breakfast which was good and then for a swim and use of the lesuire facilities was also pleasant. These are the 2 redeaming features that is why I gave this property its 2 out of 5.
I have not stayed in any other hotels in Brighton but I advise prospective patrons to look elsewhere. I was that disgusted I am considering cancelling a future booking I have at the Liverpool Hilton for June should this be the same or possibly worse than the Brighton Hilton - although I doubt that to be possible.

Room Tip: Dont Bother!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
GuyHilton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you once again for your comments and adding them to trip advisor.
I was disappointed to read you were unable to find our car park, had you parked outside the hotel our concierge team would have more than willing to give you direction.

Unfortunately due to our system being down it took slightly longer for our reception team to check our guests into the hotel, please accept my apologies this was not explained to you upon your check in.

Without having any details of your booking I am unable to confirm what room type you had booked, but I can confirm that only our double deluxe or double deluxe plus have sea views. I am pleased to say that our mattress replacement project is starting in the near future.
Your comment regarding the bathroom have been noted and auctioned by Accommodations Service Manager.

I would like to thank you for your feedback as it is extremely important to us to ensure that we continuously improve our services.