“Nice staff, tired grotty rooms” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Brighton Metropole

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Nice staff, tired grotty rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

Booked in at the Metropole for a single room. the first room shown smelled of disinfectant, as if the previous occupent had been ill. The carpet was old and badly stained. I changed room, which was better but by no means perfect...the phone was dead and the data point for internet access was also dead. I reported this twice and I eventually found a note in my room to say neither misfunctions could be rectified. There was a small reduction in my bill for my inconvenience.
The bathroom tiles had black mould ingrained in the grouting and the shampoo etc was not replaced when the room was made up.
However, the staff were very pleasant and the common areas were rather grand..but these impressions did decieve the reality of the rooms I experienced.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GuyHilton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for adding your review to Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to read that your room did not meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, your feedback regarding the phone and the internet has been shared with our Facilities Manager to investigate.

I delighted you found our team friendly and helpful though out your stay with us, I can also confirm that our ongoing refurbishment programme within the hotel will be carried on this year this will see some of our older bed rooms and bath rooms refreshed and updated.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

We had paid extra to stay at this hotel and expected a "Hilton Experience". The room was was Grubby and Tattered, we actually had to place towels on the chairs in fear of catching something. The bed was clean. The cleaning staff probably did the best they could, but the hotel in serious need of a renovation. We were too tired after travelling 20 hours to ask for another room and our stay was for 2 days. We met another couple who were booked by thier company at the Hilton for a conference, they had asked for another room as thiers was "Dirty". They demanded another room. The free breakfast is impressive, but by no means makes up for the disgusting "Hitlon Experience". The lobby is impressive, and they will place you in a less than standard "Grubby" room hoping you will just give-in for your short stay. Don't embarrass yourself, or your spouse, read the reviews that appear from customers, they really are "Shocking and Surprisingly" true. You may see photos on the internet that appear impressive, but you will be in for a huge disappointment, it's unbelievably horrible. Find another hotel recommended by someone preferrably that you know, who has stayed in Brighton. We had booked serveral hotels in Europe [not Hilton] based on the same standard criteria, and were pleased. Shame on Hilton for giving us a false expectation, taking our money, and providing a "Grubby" old room. Shame on Hilton.

Room Tip: Immediately Demand a Better Room!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies that your room was no cleaned to usual Hilton Standard upon your check in, you comments have been shared with our Accommodations Services Manager to address. However had you spoken to either our Reception team or one of our Guest Relation Managers they would have tried their upmost to allocate either another room for you or had a room attendant re-clean your room at a time that was convenient to you.

I can confirm that our ongoing in house refurbishment programme within the hotel will be carried on this year which will see some of our older bed rooms and bath rooms refreshed and updated.

It is important to us to ensure that we continuously review and improve our service and standards within the hotel, which is helped by feedback from our guests.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

As a travel agent I can not accept the bad reviews on this hotel, YES THE HOTEL IS IN NEED OF UPDATING !! but the location / staff are great the rooms were clean, most importantly people have to understand you get what you pay for, compared to other hotels this was a cheap rate and very central.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank meni1977
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

i attach two pictures of my "Deluxe Plus Room", which the hotel was not willing to change. The hotel website advertises a bright room with sea view. This room was dark with outdated furniture overlooking the hotel roofing with air condition vents and other things you'd rather not see. i was re-credited the exorbitant internet charge to make up for the fact that the hotel could not accommodate me better. This hotel is outdated, the service is poor, the conference facilities are very cramped and unpleasant. Overall a truly bad experience.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for adding your review to trip advisor.

I am disappointed to read that your room did not meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, having looked at the photos you have also posted I can confirm that the room is a king room and not a deluxe sea view as you have stated, unfortunately as you have not added your confirmation number to your review I am unable to investigate to see what room type you had booked.

I am pleased to confirm that our ongoing refurbishment programme within the hotel will be carried on this year which will see some of our older bed rooms and bath rooms refreshed and updated, as well as some of our public areas around the hotel.

midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

My self and my Husband stayed here recently on the 6th June 2011 for 1 night stay for our Wedding Anniversary.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming
The Hilton Double Suite I booked was in a good state, the bed and Suiet was clean and the room was a good temperature. We would like to thank the Hilton for our complimentary bottle of champagne chocolates and big bowl of fruit.

On the down side the Bath room was not clean, the shower unit was really old and in need of modernizing, the bath room could have done with a proper clean.
The lounge is in need of a real up date, it was like on old peoples home
DOUBLE HILTON SUITE, had a musky smell to match its decor
Not for the young couples sorry.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank readThisMidlands
GuyHilton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Trip Advisor.

I would like to offer my apologies that your bathroom was not cleaned to our usual standard your comments regarding the cleanliness of your bathroom has been shared with our Accommodations Services Manager to review and address with his team.

I am delighted you found our team both friendly and welcoming though out your stay with us, I am pleased to confirm that our ongoing refurbishment programme within the hotel will be carried on this year, which will see some on our older bedrooms, bathrooms and public area’s refreshed and up dated.

Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked a two night stay in one of the Super Deluxe Rooms and it was disgusting. When I arrived I was given the wrong key and some else was in our room and the key for the room never worked had to keep going to reception to complain was a constant nightmare! The room was cold the heating didnt work and the room was dirty and horrible. The window didnt close properly so was a constant cold breeze and the heating was blowing out cold air. Complained about it and never saw a maintenance man who was promised....the only good thing about the stay was the breakfast and swimming pool but that is not worth it trust me!!! I would avoid the hotel at all cost seriously its not worh £50 a night let alone £235 per night! There are plently of hotels in brighton and you can defiantley get something better for your money than what you will pay here! Anyone who reads this DO NOT stayat this hotel its NOT worth it at all you will only be disappointed!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GuyHilton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for contacting our Hilton Guest Assistance regarding the complaint you sent in to us directly and giving us the opportunity to restoring you faith in Hilton Hotels.

I would like to once again apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay with us, due to our hotel systems being down for five days which also affected our key cutting machine.

I can confirm that our bed room window refurbishment programme has now started this will see 400 windows replaced within the hotel.

I would like to thank you for adding your review to trip advisor, I appreciate your comments very much .

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

£199 for a very poor experience, 1 night in a dilapidated and scruffy room with years of dirty finger marks around the electrical fittings and far too my evidence of the room's previous occupants for my liking. Breakfast looked like a homeless soup kitchen and was delivered without even a hint of a smile and no milk for my pot of tea (a big deal in England). I just walked out in disgust. Never, ever, ever, stay at this hotel. Try the MyHotel or if on a budget the Jury's Inn near the station for somewhere that you won't dread going back to after a nice night out in this wonderful city. Do not get ripped off by this staggeringly bad hotel, or its next door neighbour which is equally poor (and the name 'Grand' will pertain more to your likely bill rather than any distinctive quality of the hotel).

Room Tip: In order to get the best room, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bunkerbuster
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to trip advisor.

I am sorry that you felt your stay was marred at our hotel due to the cleanliness of your room. Your comments have been shared with our Accommodation Services Manager, unfortunately without a room number he will be unable to investigate further.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast, as we have a lot of very positive comments from our guests on both our Hilton Breakfast and our staff.

It is important to us to ensure that we continuously review and improve our service and standards within the hotel, which is help by feedback like yours.