“Great location, brilliant staff - but the room was dusty, dated and dirty”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 18 September 2013

In terms of location, the Hilton is probably one of the best positioned hotels in Brighton, walking anywhere from there is pretty straightforward.

The reception, breakfast room and hallways are all beautiful - with some great staff, and the breakfast was fantastic..

But my room was truly awful; starting with the bathroom, the filthy tiled floors, the damp mould on the ceiling and along both the bath & sink, and the water damaged chipboard fittings were all totally off putting.

I stayed there on a pretty damp and cold September weekend, yet still the room was absolutely boiling, and had no air conditioning controls and the windows only allowing you to open them by about an inch, but instead a dust covered fan left for us to hunt down in the back of the wardrobe - which didn't really solve the problem at all.

So, muggy and irritated, I got into my double bed, which was two singles awkwardly left side by side with no effort to keep them together.

So I feel pretty ripped off here, the room I got really wasn't worth anywhere near what I paid for it, and I feel pretty let down, because after going past this hotel countless times over the last few years, I was really excited about the stay..

2  Thank hjpkt
HiltonBrighton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay.

I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed the service from the team here and also our superb breakfast. However please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had due to the standard of cleanliness of your room, I have shared your comments with my Rooms Divisions Manager.

I am also sorry to read that your room did not have air conditioning, not all of our rooms do and the exceptionally hot weather meant some of our rooms did become very hot.

Once again, I would like to offer my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Ross

Write a ReviewReviews (4,613)

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel was included in a 4 night bus trip from N.Wales. It is located on the promenade across from the remains of the original pier. Perfect location for promenade, pier and shopping area.
The staff was very courteous and pleasant. The room was fine, but the windows were open and as it was a warm day then so was the room. I tried to operate the fan but it was broken.
I called the front desk and explained the situation and they gave me a refurbished room which had air conditioning. The room was much nicer as was the bathroom which had a separate shower unit and bath tub with shampoo/conditioner and shower gel. The room has a fridge ( nothing in it) and a safe. Kettle with packets of coffee and tea and tubs of milk.
As a travel group we had the buffet breakfast and supper which had a good choice of food.
Would recommend that you check you get a refurbished room . Free wifi in the lobby.
There is a bar which we didn't use and a work out room and pool.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms with ai rconditioning.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Rupert,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you found the team here to be polite and friendly. I was also pleased to read you took the time to enjoy our breakfast.

The hotel as you say does have a great location and makes it a great base for our guests to explore the local area. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Fantastic stay in this lovely, seafront hotel. New restaurant and bar were lovely, everything a hotel bar should be, funky, cosmopolitan, brill cocktails (not ridiculously expensive!) dimly lit corners to sit and people watch, buzzing atmosphere. The food was also delicious. The room was stunning, newly refurbed with a cracking sea view, massive bed, a fridge for your own use, flat screen tv, comfy pillows, cosy duvet.Bathroom was standard for a chain hotel but everything was spotlessley clean and we did have a separate bath and shower. Breakfast was outstanding, plentiful, fresh and delicious with the friendliest and most efficient staff I have ever seen! Sunday morn breakfast was very busy but everything was handled well, we were sat quickly and nothing food wise had run out. It was constantly being replenished. Reception staff were lovely and friendly and concierge was great, recommending a Chinese restaurant that was amazing!
I will admit I was very worried after reading reviews on here but got in touch in advance with the hotel who were fantastic at putting my mind at rest and making sure our room was lovely. Hotel car park is brilliantly situated and it was very easy to park, after a long journey this was very welcomed! I cant fault this hotel and I cant wait to go back. Its a chain hotel so Im guessing all the rooms follow a standard pattern but in a hotel this size it works and works well. It's cosy, inviting and a fab base for exploring Brighton. We will definetley go back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 605 and it was lovely. I can image the lower floors would be slightly noisy but we...
1  Thank May J

Dear May,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us, and you took the time to enjoy our famous Hilton Breakfast. I have shared your comments with both our Executive Head Chef and Waterhouse Restaurant Manager on your dining experience.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is a lovely old hotel with a great location and lovely views (well at the front obviously).
We received some great customer experience on check-in - very friendly and helpful (thanks Katarina for your great customer service).
Our room was lovely, although the bathroom could do with a little updating.
I highly recommend the Kingsize beds - they are so comfortable it is untrue. Anything that helps me with a good night's sleep whilst the wife snores like a hippo has got to be good.
The only real negative experience of the stay was the fact our room wasn't cleaned for the duration of the stay (3 nights).
That said, I do really like this hotel. But what happened to the old bar (Steamer's) that used to serve Chocolate Monkey cocktails?

1  Thank Rhys C

Dear Rhys,

The hotel as you say dose have a great location with beautiful sea views and makes it a great base for our guests to explore the local area.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us, I have shared your comments with Katrine. I am sorry to read of your disappointment that our old bar Steamers is no longer operational, however I sure our team would be delighted to make the same cocktails for you on next stay with us.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Been to the Metropole a number of times and staff and rooms are always great. Breakfast is vast and tasty - great to set you up for a day's bargain hunting in North Laine. The bar is quiet and sophisticated too - pleasantly free from hen parties!

1  Thank ErkiBear

Dear Reviewer,

The hotel as you say dose have a great location and is walking distance to both the North & South Lanes.

I was delighted to read that you always find our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Whilst many areas of the hotel are impressive, our bathroom was in desperate need of refurbishment. The bath was chipped and some bathroom tiles had been replaced that didn't match the rest of the tiles. A lack of milk, shampoo & toilet paper in the room for a 4* hotel was very poor.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front are quieter.

Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room. I can confirm the hotel will continue to refurbish more of its bedrooms in 2014.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

The room we stayed in needed to be fully refurbished. Bathroom was not up to the standard i would expect from the Hilton and the ceiling had a damp patch, which again is not expected at a Hotel under the Hilton brand. Service was also lacking, as we made a standard request at front desk, but this was simply ignored.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
HiltonBrighton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room, and that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would also like to apologise for the service you received when making a request to our reception team, these are certainly not the standards we are striving to achieve.