“A little shabby but still lovely”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here with my husband for one night. When we got there I was really impressed by the reception and communal areas. Very grand and spacious.
We were in a delux double room which overlooked the sea and the room was really spacious. Lots of space and storage. But, on closer inspection the wall paper was a bit torn and shabby and there were no main lights (just bedside) so it was a little dark.
The ensuite was very large but the shower had definitely seen better days. The grouting was dirty and a bit mouldy and I couldn't change the temperature of the water so looked slightly sun burned when I got out!
We used the spa on the Sunday but both the pool and the jacuzzi were full of children so we didn't stay for long.

On the whole this is a nice hotel and in an excellent location, but is not up to the standard of other 4 star hotels I have stayed in. It needs a little TLC to bring it up to a 4 star. It's the little things like that would really make a difference.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,513)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is perfectly situated on the seafront but was given a room facing another block with dirty marks on the floor and a missing ceiling light - very dull and dingy. I changed to another equally dark room with no desk light and a missing section of a panel on the fridge that revealed wiring that could easily be an electrical hazard, especially for children. Add to this a missing battery cover on the TV remote and a very loose tap fitting in the bathroom.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We booked a seaview suite for a luxurious weekend getaway here in dank November. We've stayed before in a standard room and liked the place but this time it fell short

Firstly, the plus points - the staff were great, breakfast lovely and the public areas very grand with a lovely vanilla smell wafting through Reception. The building itself harks back to a grand age of seafront hotels and is well located for the Lanes and pier. Best of all we got a late check out on Sunday so we could do a seafront walk before packing up, much appreciated.

Although our suite was huge and had fabulous views and a balcony, it looked a bit careworn. It strongly smelt of cigarettes despite being a no smoking room but as Brighton was fully booked this weekend we decided not to try and get moved as we'd no doubt lose our seaview and space. However, later laying in bed, the smell of cigarettes seemed impregnated there and my hair smelt of ciggies the next day - not pleasant. The furniture looked very dated, and the bathroom needed improvements. It is possible for hotels to keep old fittings, you need only look at Claridges for how to do that, but they need to be well maintained. For example, the bathroom was made of huge slabs of marble, but had paint missing on the bath panel and door and the marble sink needed regrouting. The floor and sink had water staining so it just needed some tlc. I was disappointed that our huge suite didn't come with bathrobes or slippers which is unusually lacklustre for a suite experience.

Clearly Hilton have spent some money on this hotel as the breakfast room and lobby are very smart, but i hope they smarten up the bedrooms soon or this place will fall badly behind.

Two tiny gripes for penny pinching - we got a free drinks voucher as Diamond members but it excluded all premium brand spirits which seemed a bit nit picky. They offered us a newspaper on check in but on check out added £2.50 to our room bill for the pleasure! I've never been charged for a paper before, again it felt penny pinching.

This place has such potential and good staff so please get the bedrooms up to scratch and it'll be a winner in Brighton

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen7
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here recently. Rooms are fine and hotel generally Ok.

Unfortunately breakfast was terrible. The hotel was full, however the restaurant in the morning couldn't cope. The waitress / maitre D lady who met us, basically took us half way up the restaurant, turned and stated I could sit with someone if we knew them, failing that keep walking there was another room further on!

I did, and the breakfast was poor. A struggle to get tea, cold food, poorly cooked. Not great., won't be back. If you are going to sell all your rooms, at least have the staff and ability to cope.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Come on, some of these reviews make me laugh!

I'm not sure how much other people have paid for their rooms, but I paid £100 for a Friday night, for a triple room (3 adults) in November (i.e. off-season). I wouldn't suggest paying any more than that for a standard double/stripe at that time of year.

The thing to remember is that £100 in Brighton doesn't go as far as £100 in other towns or cities. The average hotel price in Brighton (for the above criteria) is £130-50. Therefore, at £100, the Hilton in Brighton is going to have budget-style rooms (i.e. along the lines of a Premier Inn). What you are paying for is the location, the frontage and the grandeur of the lobby and communal areas. You are essentially paying to stay in one of the better-kept hotels on the seafront - a traditional, big, old, English, seaside hotel.

In terms of my personal experience, I have no complaints. Our room was clean, the bathroom was seriously outdated (which I expected), the staff were pleasant, we felt safe and welcome, and the location was convenient. My personal preference is to stay up in the North Laines, in MyHotel or another modern/quirky hotel. I didn't this time, because they don't offer triple rooms and there was nothing similar for £100 and under. Therefore, I booked the Hilton with fair expectations of what I would get. Furthermore, given that it is November, I had imagined that the restaurants and bars within the hotel would be empty - and this was exactly the case. In any case, I prefer to explore areas I visit, rather than eat and drink inside the hotel. Unless they are renown for their food, I often expect hotel food to be disappointing.

The thing to remember with gigantic old hotels like the Metropole is the logistics and gargantuan amount of effort involved in its upkeep. There are going to be some modernised rooms and some 'dud' rooms. If the whole place was perfect, and on the seafront, and in such a truly beautiful old building, you'd be paying a lot more per night. For that reason, when I stay at a place like this, I prepare myself for the fact that if I'm not happy, I'll have to go and talk to reception.

Overall, I'd recommend this place if:
- You want to be near to the seafront
- You like traditional old English hotels
- You only pay around £100 for a standard room off-season

I wouldn't recommend it if:
- You expect every room to be the same
- You expect modern, perfect, luxurious rooms for £100 in that location
- You don't like old fashioned hotels

Specifics:
Distance from train station - 20-30 minute walk (taxis are available)
Distance from pier - 5-10 minute walk (right along the seafront)
Distance from Laines - 10-20 minutes (i.e. from the south to the north Laines)

Room Tip: If travelling off-season (i.e. when other rooms are likely to be available), don't be afraid to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sparklepop
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our clients with nobility and learning disabilities. Unfortunate for us a lib dem party conference was held at this hotel during our stay. The staff were very unhelpful and rude and only cared about the money that would be generated from the mp's in drinks and tips. We felt very unwelcome and sneered at by staff and mp's. The bedrooms were very old and tired and my mattress was too big for my bed. Scaffolding and plastic was the view from my room. One of our clients had to move rooms because a leak came through the ceiling. The pull cord to alert staff that a customer needed assistance was ignored. Complained to the hotel afterwards and given vouchers to come back but we definitely will not. AVOID at all COST

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank babes40808
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed at the Hilton Brighton metropole more times than I can remember and it is always my hotel of choice for a great breakfast, great service and pool and spa facility. Bathrobes and slippers are always promptly sent to my room on request and the hotel always facilitates the need for me to check in earlier than 3pm. However my most recent stay in the room was below my expectation which has always been high. In the past I have stayed in modern doubles, king deluxe and family suites. The room on this occasion was in desperate need of attention. Carpets stained and dirty, walls had suspicious liquid stains, paint was chipped in multiple areas of the room, tiles in the bathroom chipped and marked. I hate to say it but the standard of this room was very poor and very small for a family of 3 compared to previous family rooms - its what looked like a double room with 2 double beds squeezed in. Why is there inconsistency in room standards of the up keep? Disappointed by the room on this occasion

• Stayed: November 2013